Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hw420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Is it possible to learn basic drawing (i.e figure/anatomy sketching, perspective, light/shadow concept, coloring/color mixing etc) if I take a graphic design major? [I am not sure if the BFA/BA in Graphic Design Curriculum covers all the basics of drawing.]

I need to learn both Graphic designing and drawing (sketching+coloring etc [you know how people are so bad at drawing right position, diameter, structure of figure or environment when they are not tough! -_-' except some god gifted talented people may be]).

Let me know if any other undergrade degree/major would be helpful (though I really really want to have a BFA in Graphic design). Also, if it is necessary, I can take other courses/programs besides my BFA/BA. Just let me know the appropriate undergraduate degree and major. Thanks is advance. ^_^

So, in brief:
Q#1: Does BFA/BA in Graphic Design covers learning basic drawing?
Q#2: If it doesn't then which program/certified course/diploma (other than undergrade degree) I can take to learn drawing?
Q#3: Or, should I take a different major/undergraduate degree to learn both Graphic design and drawing? (though I highly consider having BFA in Graphic design)

Last edited:

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
No one can answer for you, because the major requirements vary by school. Regardless, at most schools, your major requirements will only be about a third of your total credits, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to cover anything the major doesn't cover.

Also, you can learn drawing on your own. Just draw everyday. That's how almost everyone learns.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Likely you will take quite a few additional classes other then just graphic design. History, science, english, math and so on. You'd be able to fit in a few other fine arts classes. In fact I'd bet they REQUIRE you take other fine art classes including drawing.

The only way to know for sure is to go to the School's web site and download the catalog. Read the graduation requirements and make up some hypothetical class schedules for the fours years. Each school is different but they should all have catalogs you can get.

You can also call up the school and talk with an admissions councilor. Again each school is different.

One more thing. The school will almost certainly want a portfolio of you work as part of the admissions process. So you may be needing to learn quite a bit before you can even apply to get into the program. Again check with the school as they are all different. What they are looking for is an artiest who has potential. Same thing if you were looking for a degree in music, you'd have to audition to get in and it is VERY competitive.

If they require a portfolio, and I think most places do, the best place to learn is a community collage. THey typically accept all who apply and then you work with the instructors there to develop skills. The Local CC has "basic drawing" as the prerequisite class for most of the others. It is what everything takes first.

Last edited:

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
What type of school are you going to? as previously stated, you need to look into the curriculum they have defined for the degree... it will be online. For accreditation reasons this information needs to be public...

If you are looking at a freestanding school or college of art and design, you will study drawing in your foundation year and probably have to get at least 6 credits in it (2 courses)

Liberal arts schools often have some other (non-art-based) type of foundation program, but I would expect you will have at least 3 credits of drawing instruction once you move into your art and design track.

Once in your major you will have elective credits, and you can take additional drawing courses then.

A good BFA design program should have a design-focused drawing course (more focused on sketching and drawing for thinking) and a color course within their core curriculum as well -- but these are different than a more fine-arts based drawing course.

If you are really passionate about drawing as a discipline, you could try to dual major in GD and drawing/painting/printmaking.

Now, I would personally steer you away from the BA degree. BA degrees have lots of value for certain students, but if you are looking to work professionally as a graphic designer once you graduate AND want to have some electives to spend taking extra drawing courses, you want a BFA. The BA degree is more liberal arts focused and has far less studio requirements -- there simply will not be enough studio electives to go around and do both.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Is it possible to learn basic drawing (i.e figure/anatomy sketching, perspective, light/shadow concept, coloring/color mixing etc) if I take a graphic design major? [I am not sure if the BFA/BA in Graphic Design Curriculum covers all the basics of drawing.]

I need to learn both Graphic designing and drawing (sketching+coloring etc [you know how people are so bad at drawing right position, diameter, structure of figure or environment when they are not tough! -_-' except some god gifted talented people may be]).

Let me know if any other undergrade degree/major would be helpful (though I really really want to have a BFA in Graphic design). Also, if it is necessary, I can take other courses/programs besides my BFA/BA. Just let me know the appropriate undergraduate degree and major. Thanks is advance. ^_^

So, in brief:
Q#1: Does BFA/BA in Graphic Design covers learning basic drawing?
Q#2: If it doesn't then which program/certified course/diploma (other than undergrade degree) I can take to learn drawing?
Q#3: Or, should I take a different major/undergraduate degree to learn both Graphic design and drawing? (though I highly consider having BFA in Graphic design)
I don't know what passes for a Graphic Design BFA these days, but when I got mine, there were requirements for core art skills, including at least 2 semesters of drawing, life drawing, illustration, sculpture and painting. I consider them some of the most worthwhile classes I took.

You'll still have to draw a lot on your own, but they should give you a good foundation to build on. Also look for a book called "Drawing on the Right side of Your Brain"; some good principles in if for starters.

I consider myself a slacker these days, but I still buy a few hundred #2 pencils at Costco. I used to be an HB guy, buy i eventually learned I just needed a lot of pencils.

I have a friend who teaches at a private art institute, and from what I can tell, the kids get some inadequate software and questionable design training, and a big fat bill at the end. Make sure you go somewhere you'll get your money's worth

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Basic drawing should be part of graphic design. I am with Larry-K on this one. Lack of core art skills is highly detrimental.

abcbcd

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Yes, you will have to take at least basic drawing classes. You can also probably choose to take illustration and more drawing classes as electives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.