Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I was just about to pull the trigger on a $129 refurb 8gb 4th gen Touch from Apple for my mother in law, so she can keep in better touch with her kids via iMessage.

Then I read that iOS7 won't support the 4th gen.

In reality, my wife's mom probably won't use much if anything beyond iMessage, and maybe the occasional Face Time session or some games.

Still, I'd hate to find out when iOS7 comes out that there's some new functionality that she might find useful. Or that some new version of iMessage won't support older devices. Having always owned the latest and greatest iPhone, I've never been in those kinds of situations, but I know they happen.

Am I tossing money down the drain? Should I just pony up the extra $100 for the base 5th gen? Or maybe hold off completely and see what September holds? I seem to recall the 5th gen was a long time coming, thus the 6th gen might not be here this year.

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
just get the 16GB 5th gen. its good for facetime because it still has the front camera. thats what id do. and also for the fact that you can upgrade it to ios7 and most likely ios8 when it comes out

chanman

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Arkansas, United States
Refurb 5th gen for $249

Best value. 32 GB storage, get the back camera, supports ios 7.

If not, just go with 4th gen. Honestly, I have given apple products as gifts to patents, relatives, etc. and they wouldn't know if they had a 1st gen ipad or a 7th gen from 2015 (and never used more than 4 gb of 16 gb). Do whatever's right for your situation. And apple can't discontinue iMessage for older devices because iPhone 3GS and iphone 4 use it. The 4th gen isn't slow, it just isn't made to handle the games and apps of 2013. :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I would consider this as throwing money down the drain if you get the touch 4 right now. Might want to invest 100 more on the 5th gen 16 gb.

Touch 4 is literally only good for music and videos. Its an ipod nano with bigger screen and wifi. If she buy music through itune then it could be usefull. Ipod 4 has 256 ram, u can't find anything with that less ram these days in almost any devices. Ipod 5 16gb might lacks rear camera but that also mean you wont lose space on photos and rec video stuff like that. Just pure messaging and facetime (front cam is iphone 5 quality) Ipod 4 front cam is a blurry image.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I have two 4g iPod Touches. One runs iOS 5 and the other runs iOS 6. They both work very well. I don't have the current generation device so I can't compare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.