Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

visualise-this

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
I'm a graphic designer who has a 21" iMac. Basically just wondering whether I should get the new 13" Macbook Air or the 13" Macbook Pro Retina?

Portability isn't a huge issue and whilst the 12 hour battery life would be nice it isn't necessary. I guess it's more of a question performance wise between the two?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I'm a graphic designer who has a 21" iMac. Basically just wondering whether I should get the new 13" Macbook Air or the 13" Macbook Pro Retina?

Portability isn't a huge issue and whilst the 12 hour battery life would be nice it isn't necessary. I guess it's more of a question performance wise between the two?

there are a million threads about this that you can read here, and i'm sure you've googled it but one thing i think you should really do is go get some hands on experience in the Apple Store. You'd be surprised how many of us (myself included) who do most of our shopping online forget the benefits of actually using the device in person.

I wanted the 13" MBA when I walked in, but after holding it and the 13" rMBP i didn't really notice a big difference in weight - and the pro actually seemed to balance better. I decided that I really wanted the 11" MBA. The reason being was to me the real choice was between ultralight and power - so in other words the 11" or the 15" rMBP.

Two things I don't like about the 13" rMBP is 1- i don't like buying 1st gen tech and 2- i don't like the lack of a dedicated GPU.

But it's a fine computer - and since you asked, definitely "superior" to the mba in terms of power. That being said i think the 13" MBA is a better deal in terms of bang for your buck.

The other variable here is that they might be updating the pro line for the Holiday market at the end of the year. You could always wait and see what pops out next. But, that's always the case isn't it?

visualise-this

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
there are a million threads about this that you can read here, and i'm sure you've googled it but one thing i think you should really do is go get some hands on experience in the Apple Store. You'd be surprised how many of us (myself included) who do most of our shopping online forget the benefits of actually using the device in person.

I wanted the 13" MBA when I walked in, but after holding it and the 13" rMBP i didn't really notice a big difference in weight - and the pro actually seemed to balance better. I decided that I really wanted the 11" MBA. The reason being was to me the real choice was between ultralight and power - so in other words the 11" or the 15" rMBP.

Two things I don't like about the 13" rMBP is 1- i don't like buying 1st gen tech and 2- i don't like the lack of a dedicated GPU.

But it's a fine computer - and since you asked, definitely "superior" to the mba in terms of power. That being said i think the 13" MBA is a better deal in terms of bang for your buck.

The other variable here is that they might be updating the pro line for the Holiday market at the end of the year. You could always wait and see what pops out next. But, that's always the case isn't it?

So if you could get the entry model 13" MBA brand new OR get the 13" RMBP second hand (perfect condition) with 256gb SSD and 3 years apple care for $100 more, which would you choose?

Will the MBA be able to handle light photoshop/illustrator without chugging? I wish they put the Adobe suite on the applestore laptops...

mac82

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Keep in mind that any colour work you do on the Air will have to be proofed on a better monitor. The Air has only a 70% sRGB colour gamut, so the colours you see on it will not be accurate. Also, run a checkerboard test on the second hand rMBP; they're notorious for image retention. This is a good one:

http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
So if you could get the entry model 13" MBA brand new OR get the 13" RMBP second hand (perfect condition) with 256gb SSD and 3 years apple care for $100 more, which would you choose?

Will the MBA be able to handle light photoshop/illustrator without chugging? I wish they put the Adobe suite on the applestore laptops...

3 year apple care? so that pro is basically brand new as well?

Apple may not put CS6 on their store machines, but you have 14 days to return the machine if it doesn't live up...so you could also go that route

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
I've just got the new 13" base MBA to replace my 2010 iMac i3, there's no doubt it's more powerful and a joy to use.

CS5 will have no issues on it

Zac10

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
I've just got the new 13" base MBA to replace my 2010 iMac i3, there's no doubt it's more powerful and a joy to use.

CS5 will have no issues on it

My screen flickers when i use my cs6 on MBA 13inch
I am going to replace it tomorrow
Was wondering if you are having any issues with cs5

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
My screen flickers when i use my cs6 on MBA 13inch
I am going to replace it tomorrow
Was wondering if you are having any issues with cs5

Is a replacement going to be a fix? Isn't this a software issue? It's either Adobe or a graphics driver issue.

Is this Adobe flickering problem present in the 11" MBA? I've only heard it mentioned with the 13"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.