Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:56 AM   #1
slynger
macrumors regular

Can't recover iTunes with Time Machine

Long story short, my wife started pressing the delete button and now iTunes is FUBAR.

I have tried to recover iTunes but I haven't been successful. I haven't had to use a backup for my mac before, curious if someone could help and tell me if I am doing anything wrong.

I am just highlighting the iTunes media>music folder and hitting restore, but in the end, it isn't restored. In need of serious help.
slynger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:28 AM   #2
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynger View Post
Long story short, my wife started pressing the delete button and now iTunes is FUBAR.

I have tried to recover iTunes but I haven't been successful. I haven't had to use a backup for my mac before, curious if someone could help and tell me if I am doing anything wrong.

I am just highlighting the iTunes media>music folder and hitting restore, but in the end, it isn't restored. In need of serious help.
Not meaning to be condescending or obvious... but you do not mention this in your post. When you go into Time Machine, are you "going back in time" using the time scale on the right hand edge (alternately, using the forward/backward arrows on the bottom)? You must choose a time that occurred prior to your wife deleting data from your database.

Also... is all of your media located in the iTunes library folder? This is managed by two settings located in: iTunes > Settings > Advanced: Are both: "keep iTunes Media Oragnized" and "Copy data to the iTunes Library" both selected (see attachment)? If not... your original data could be scattered all over your drive(s).

/Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 8.25.31 AM.png
Views:	23
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	420701  
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:33 AM   #3
slynger
macrumors regular

Yes, I am trying to restore from a previous backup (approx. 1 month ago).

And yes, both boxes are checked.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:53 PM   #4
rc135tx
macrumors newbie

Quote:
... I am just highlighting the iTunes media>music folder and hitting restore, but in the end, it isn't restored. In need of serious help.
Being basically ignorant of what might get lost/screwed up on a delete, in Time Machine, I'd select Users/<user>/Music/iTunes, then Restore.
rc135tx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes, I am trying to restore from a previous backup (approx. 1 month ago).

And yes, both boxes are checked.
You have the option when restoring... to choose the destination. What happens if you choose your entire iTunes folder from a month ago, and then choose to restore it to a new folder (also called iTunes) on your desktop? Do you get an entire library as it existed a month ago?

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc135tx View Post
Quote:
Being basically ignorant of what might get lost/screwed up on a delete, in Time Machine, I'd select Users/<user>/Music/iTunes, then Restore.
This is the right advice, just restoring "Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" misses a few rather important files.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:55 PM   #7
slynger
macrumors regular

got the problem all sorted out - thanks for the tips.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store