Is Quickbooks the only accounting app that handles lines of business? Can't be.... - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Is Quickbooks the only accounting app that handles lines of business? Can't be....

Is Quickbooks the only app that handles multiple "lines of business"? In quickbooks, that's called "classes" and is a great way to distinguish between locations or whatever.

I find it hard to believe that other accounting packages don't do the same thing but call it something else, but I have yet to find one. Maybe it's only in super high end systems costing thousands of dollars?

Is there a fundamental way other accounting systems are addressing "classes" that I'm simply missing?

Quickbooks is one of few apps that keep me from being fully operational on an iPad. An accounting app on the iPad that also handles lines of business would be great.
Undecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:11 PM   #2
RUGERMAN
macrumors regular

Multiledger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
Is Quickbooks the only app that handles multiple "lines of business"? In quickbooks, that's called "classes" and is a great way to distinguish between locations or whatever.

I find it hard to believe that other accounting packages don't do the same thing but call it something else, but I have yet to find one. Maybe it's only in super high end systems costing thousands of dollars?

Is there a fundamental way other accounting systems are addressing "classes" that I'm simply missing?

Quickbooks is one of few apps that keep me from being fully operational on an iPad. An accounting app on the iPad that also handles lines of business would be great.
If you were talking about working on a Mac I would say take a look at MultiLedger, excellent program that I think is better than Quickbooks. Don't know about the iPad.
RUGERMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:26 PM   #3
snberk103
macrumors 603

Also look at AccountEdge. Not cheap, but not 'thousands' either.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGERMAN View Post
If you were talking about working on a Mac I would say take a look at MultiLedger, excellent program that I think is better than Quickbooks. Don't know about the iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Also look at AccountEdge. Not cheap, but not 'thousands' either.
OK, but how do those two do the equivalent of classes to track multiple lines of business? I perused their sites, and I'm just not seeing it.
Undecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
OK, but how do those two do the equivalent of classes to track multiple lines of business? I perused their sites, and I'm just not seeing it.
Check with a consultant (in Canada the consultants can sell and service AE, and therefore there are the place to go to get questions answered.) I don't need that feature, and therefore I don't know how it is done.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:54 PM   #6
yvr
macrumors newbie

account edge

Quote:

I use Account Edge for my wife's law practice. I use the "jobs" feature to distinguish a particular client/file. You can name the job whatever you want, it's independent of the particular account(s) a transaction is posted to. I think this would work for your classes matter. I've also used the phone support service from Account Edge, both pre and post purchase, and found them very helpful. The online help topics are easy to follow. Downloading transactions from the bank also works well.
yvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store