Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:48 PM   #1
RyanScott54
macrumors newbie

Virgin Mobile Iphone 4S GSM Unlocked! No Jailbreak required.

Hey guys, I’ve got some great news!!! I was finally able to unlock my iPhone 4S - Virgin Mobile CDMA. It’s pretty much impossible to get Virgin Mobile or Sprint to release the device. AppleCare did advise me mine was locked to Sprint directly.

If you do not wish to jailbreak this is the best method to keep it stock IOS 6.1.3. The New GPP I purchased had “US Virgin” on chips carrier menu. No need input IMSI manually. It did take couple hours get it working correctly had couple issues with reset sim not making contact and reading but resolved it.

I activated both AT&T Go Phone Micro Sim & T-Mobile, Both were successful with logging in networks and Dialing *2 you’ll hear each carriers welcome prompts. Just waiting for my new month of service to run out before I swap over to AT&T myself.

Best Plan going seems to be AT&T Go Phone 4G HSPA+ $60 Go Phone Smartphone Monthly unlimited with Data. All Nationwide calls: Unlimited. Messaging: (Text, picture, video.) Unlimited. Data/Mobile Web: 2GB’s Option for 1+ GB for $10. I believe that’s best coverage for speeds plus you gain Talk & Web Surf at same time!

** Note iPhone 4S is 3G only device, not compatible with LTE only iPhone 5 is able to use LTE speeds. (Virgin Mobile just release iPhone 5 June 28th 2013 $549.99)

*** AT&T 4G HSPA+ “High Speed Packet Access” HSPA+ enhances the widely used WCDMA (UMTS) based 3G networks with higher speeds for the end user that are comparable to the newer LTE networks. In the United States, it is commonly available under AT&T Mobility and T-Mobile US.

HOW TO GUIDE:

Virgin Mobile iPhone 4S GSM Unlock with New GPP!
Requires: New GPP L1S3 Newest 6.1.3 USA Sprint

Step 1: Download GPP V6.0 software activation PC only software, Mac users may install with Parallels Desktop 8.

Step 2: Connect your iPhone to the computer and open GPP V6.0 you downloaded in step 1 and Click On "Update" Leave Drop down menu on “other”

Step 3: Input activation code included in the kit into the software when Prompted 

Step 4: ON "Select Carrier Prompt" in the software click on "CMCC" from drop down box. 

Step 5: "Unsigned Profile" Profile window will pop-up on your iPhone tap "Install Now" click "Done" Restart and disconnect iPhone from computer.

Step 6: Place GPP Sim PCB on its tray with GPP Reset Sim on top of PCB board, insert into phone and select your current Carrier “US Virgin”, tap accept and turn OFF phone.

Step 7: Eject tray, ONLY remove the GPP Reset SIM and place your Active desired SIM on top of GPP Sim Impostor and insert back into phone. 

Step 8: Power on iPhone, close voice mail prompt if asked, wait for your carrier signal, your iPhone is now UNLOCKED!!

Notes: If having problems start over. I did notice that once the GPP Impostor + GPP Reset Sim were placed in iPhone 4S first time that carrier list didn’t populate. After messing around with it I was able to get it pop up. You must install the GPP Patch. If revert back to Virgin Mobile remove GPP patch, it will disable settings and Visual Voice Mail feature.

iMac 27” 2.7Ghz i5 – 1TB Seagate Caviar Black - 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB. OWC Mercury Elite Pro 1TB+1TB Caviar drives. Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
iPhone 4S 16B Black Virgin Mobile US CDMA - Unlocked GSM with New GPP – iOS 6.1.3
iPad 2 16GB Black Wifi – iOS 6.1.3
iTouch 1st Gen 8GB
RyanScott54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Carbonpear
macrumors newbie

Will it still work on Virgin?

RyanScott54, thank you SO much for sharing this! I have been trying to get my Virgin iPhone 4s unlocked since I bought it, but to no avail. I have some questions though.

Will the iPhone still work on Virgin's US CDMA network? I plan to use it overseas via GSM (Singtel).

Do you need an actual GPP chip shipped to you in order to do it, or is it just software? If so, can you link me to it?

And, what do you think will happen when a software update and/or iOS 7 comes around?

Thanks
-Carbonpear

Last edited by Carbonpear; Jul 1, 2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: (Change of punctuation mark, ! -> .)
Carbonpear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:50 AM   #3
rmurugaaiyan
macrumors newbie

Is this GPP Sim Work foe ios 5 in i phone 4s?Please tell me.
Thank you.R.Murugaiyn
rmurugaaiyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:20 PM   #4
shaunp45
macrumors newbie

Phone calls work but no data/texts

I got it to work (phone calls) after several tries but I have no data. I could receive texts but could not send them. Did this happen to you? I can live w/o data since I'm mainly on WiFi but it I can't text this is pretty worthless!
shaunp45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:03 PM   #5
MicroMacTosh
Banned

Wouldn't recommend this software unlock, too iffy
MicroMacTosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting