Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Rzyrek
macrumors newbie

External HDD or NAS-System

Hey. Hope you can help me.

Im searching a good way to store my data (photos (iPhoto-/Aperture-libary), movies (streaming to apple tv through iTunes), documents, ...) + time machine of my macbook air.

1. 2x external HDD 3Tb plus an USB-Hub (approximately 396€)
or
2. NAS with two 3Tb internal HDD with RAID1. (Synology DS213j + 2x WD Red = approximately 460€)

What would you recommend?

Last edited by Rzyrek; Jun 30, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Rzyrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:39 PM   #2
DoctorK4
macrumors regular

I use an external 2TB USB 3.0 HDD plus a NAS. I think you'll have much better success with Time Machine backups on the USB drive. Time Machine over a network with a non-Apple network solution can work, but can also frequently be unreliable.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorK4 View Post
I use an external 2TB USB 3.0 HDD plus a NAS. I think you'll have much better success with Time Machine backups on the USB drive. Time Machine over a network with a non-Apple network solution can work, but can also frequently be unreliable.
Actually the NAS he chose does use the actual Time Machine protocol.

Personally I highly suggest going with the Synology NAS. Aside from the built in Time Machine, it has a whole host of apps to handle just about anything you could ever want it to do. I think of it like, I may not need all the extra functionality now, but later, who knows. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I don't have a Synology NAS at the moment, but I have been researching them a lot because I need to upgrade my frumpy little DLink to a decent 4-bay.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:37 AM   #4
DoctorK4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton63841 View Post
Actually the NAS he chose does use the actual Time Machine protocol.
There are quite a few NASes that use the Time Machine protocol, but technically it's not supported by Apple. I used to use one but from time to time would get an error that my backup was corrupt and I had to build a new one. It's not an infrequent complaint of people using third-party network Time Machine solutions. I was a little more concerned about reliability so I went with the USB drive for Time Machine and use the NAS for media storage.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Ralphalph
macrumors member

Synology

I use the Synology 212j and the thing works like a charm. I have never had an error or any problems. The best backup is the one you use.

The Synology also has software to work as an iTunes server, although I have not tinkered with that. Plus with that arrangement you can backup any number of computers, and allow yourself access to the files through the internet.
Ralphalph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:19 AM   #6
fongkahchun86
macrumors newbie

If you are looking at iPhoto/Aperture library management, an external HDD will be a better option than a NAS.

However, if you are looking for Photo storage, go for Synology PhotoStation. Not only it store your photos in a RAID configuration, it will also generate a web gallery for you. Though a static IP will give you that add benefit.
fongkahchun86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:40 AM   #7
SDDave2007
macrumors regular

I too have been using a Synology box for about 2 years now... and it it configured to Time Machine an iMac, a MacPro and two MBP labtops on my network.... and it works flawlessly..... not to mention it also streams video to the TV in the living room.

Note : Photostation is not a Synolgoy box... it is software that comes standard with the basic NAS unit
SDDave2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:41 AM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603

Just chiming in, I also have a Synology DS212j and can't imagine my home network being complete without it.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:59 AM   #9
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

I have a Synology NAS and it works well with OSX. However, I stopped using Time Machine, I found Carbon Copy Cloner to be much more reliable than TM.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Rzyrek
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongkahchun86 View Post
If you are looking at iPhoto/Aperture library management, an external HDD will be a better option than a NAS.

However, if you are looking for Photo storage, go for Synology PhotoStation. Not only it store your photos in a RAID configuration, it will also generate a web gallery for you. Though a static IP will give you that add benefit.
I also took a look for the Photostation, but I read that you need minimum an DS213+ that this software works sufficient. Or does somebody use the DS213j with it and has no problems? I've got like 100Gb of Photos.
DS213+ would be 150 more. Or is the price difference worth it for a normal user?
Rzyrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

I am currently working on deciding between these two:
http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskS...s=synology+nas
http://www.amazon.com/Qnap-4-Bay-2-1...ywords=TS-469l

They both seem to have a decent set of apps, but I believe only the Synology handles Time Machine. Moreso, I need to know how well they handle the plex media server, and potentially transcoding(I don't think they will). Also built in tools like Rsync, Unison, or something like that. I believe they are effectively linux OS'es so those types of tools should be there...

Anyone know of any gotcha's I should know about or look out for?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice