Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will any of you Android converts being moving back to the iPhone 5S in the fall?

• Yes

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 59.7%
  • Undecided(waiting on other hardware/want to see the new hardware first.)

Votes: 18 14.0%

• Total voters

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I hate to beat a dead horse here. But I was curious to see if any of the Android converts here would be going back to the next iPhone in the fall? I switched from an iPhone 4 to the S3 last June(2012), and since then I have owned a Nexus 4, as well as a Galaxy S4. I'm missing the reliability of the iPhone over these devices, and will be making the switch back unless the Note 3 can impress me. The iPhone just seems to be more efficient at getting work done in the real world. Is there anyone else out there that will be going back? If so, what are your reasons?

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I hate to beat a dead horse here. But I was curious to see if any of the Android converts here would be going back to the next iPhone in the fall? I switched from an iPhone 4 to the S3 last June(2012), and since then I have owned a Nexus 4, as well as a Galaxy S4. I'm missing the reliability of the iPhone over these devices, and will be making the switch back unless the Note 3 can impress me. Is there anyone else out there that will be going back?
The ZeroLemon on my S4 is just one of the many reasons why I'm not going back to the iPhone.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The ZeroLemon on my S4 is just one of the many reasons why I'm not going back to the iPhone.

I had to Google that, but wow that looks like it would make an otherwise already large device, just unwieldy! I guess to each his/her own.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I had to Google that, but wow that looks like it would make an otherwise already large device, just unwieldy! I guess to each his/her own.
Truthfully, it's about as thick as any iPhone with a battery case.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I will be.

I got the iPhone 2G in 2007. That lasted me until 2010.

Then I got the iPhone 4 in 2010, and that lasted me until 2012.

Then I went for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket in April 2012. It only lasted me until about February this year. The camera lens dented, and then when I was going to actually go and replace the part, I found out that all my screws had been stripped. So much for buying a refurbished device. :rolleyes:

And so now I have a GoPhone by Huawei that I bought in April. But like all cheap things go, I don't expect this to last me that long. It did survive a waterfall of water from a carport though, so we'll see.

I cannot deal with getting a new device every year, or even every 6 months. I buy Apple computers for that reason to begin with. I've actually just moved the iMac G4 into my room so I can give it a new life with a fresh install of Leopard while my parents enjoy my PowerMac G5 after finally getting rid of our aging HP desktop - The only Windows based machine we had still up and running.

This next time around, I'm going to try really, really hard to keep my iPhone for more than three years. And considering I don't do much these days in terms of walking around everywhere with it in my pocket, I hope it's going to be easier this time around.

The only Android device I have any trust in at the moment is the Kindle Fire. My old 1st gen is going to be two years old now and my dad is really enjoying it. My brother really likes his HD too. Those are devices that I think have the best build quality out of all of them in the market right now. They might not be the best, but they are more sustainable than say the Nexus 7 which has bits that will eventually come apart and the Samsung Note tablets which are just plastic junk.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Not me. After seeing iOS7, I'd consider it a downgrade. Waiting to see what the Note III has to offer, otherwise I'm happy with my Note II.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
If the next iPhone had a 4.7 inch or larger screen, absolutely. I never thought it was a big deal before but since switching to Android screen size is now a deal breaker for me. I could just never go back to that tiny screen, I don't know how I lived with it before.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nope, and it will be first iPhone I don't get at launch (or close to it).

I don't have terribly sophisticated needs from my smartphone and to be honest, the functionality provided by iOS generally covers all of my needs. I like its look and feel, it's very responsive, it fits in nicely amongst most predominantly Apple household and IMO, and I find more often than not that I prefer the iOS versions of apps. I could live without the few things that I personally enjoy more in Android (dedicated back button, better notification system, Google All Access Music, lockscreen app launching). The problem is after using various devices over the past year with displays all greater than 4.6", I just cannot go back to the smaller form factor.

Oh, that and the small addiction I've developed for the game Ingress, an Android exclusive. ;)

I'll keep an eye out on what Apple has to offer with iOS 8 and next year's iPhone, whatever it may be called. Until then, I'll stick with my HTC One (like very much) and probably sample any number of other Android devices to feed the tech cravings I'm sure to have. :D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Nope. iOS simply isn't the mobile OS for me. I used to like it, but I gave Android a fair chance, my eyes were opened. A wall of icons isn't what I called a great UI. I want options to make it my own and work for me. Not what Apple tells me to do.

After seeing iOS 7, it's clear they have no intention of changing it. So it's the lil robot for me. :)

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I have owned both and for me, Android is a far superior phone OS. It's also a far superior pocket computer and navigation OS. Google has Apple bested on so many fronts.

On a tablet however, I think iOS is king. I have a Galaxy S3 and an iPad mini.

In the future, Android will remain my phone of choice, the iPad will remain my tablet choice, and MacBook Pro / Mac Mini will remain my choice of computers.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Nope, won't be going back to iPhone. After seeing and using iOS 7, I think it is a step in the wrong direction and still find the OS too limiting compared to Android. After having my S3 for nearly a year I don't see myself going back to the small form factor of the iPhone. Lastly, the more Apple wages it's "thermonuclear" war and distances itself from Google, the less value I see on their platform.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
At this point in time? No.

Every indication points to an iPhone 5S. And even if it does have a cool new feature like finger print sensor or whatever, it just simply won't make up for what it's lacking.

But more importantly than hardware is software.

iOS 7 is, for the most part, a good direction for dedicated iOS users, but for Android users, it's unquestionably a step back.

I just can't imagine myself returning to such a closed system, confined to those icon designs, confined to what's essentially an app drawer, reduced to the lack of dedicated back/menu buttons, forced to use iTunes, the inability to have a true computer-like email experience, the inability to share to whatever I want from wherever and whatever app I'm in, to type or swipe the way I want to, to have immediate access to information via widgets, to toggle anything and everything I want (Control Center is nice, but can I set something to turn off my lock screen when I don't need the security at home so I'm not punching in my pin every single time I turn on my device?), and I most certainly can't go back to dealing with banner drop downs blocking and/or interrupting my already limited screen space (and sometimes blocking the navigation panels).

So even if Apple surprises us with a larger screen iPhone come this October, even if they add a notification light, even if they finally get rid of the antiquated physical home button, it'd be hard to return to the iPhone because of iOS.

Maybe 2014... maybe iOS 8.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Having an HTC One, Nexus 4 and Galaxy S4 as my choices for primary smartphone usage, I have no intention of buying an iPhone 5S.

iOS 7 is thus far quite disappointing, but who knows perhaps by iPhone 6 it will be sorted out and more to my liking. If so, and if Apple equips the phone with a 5" or larger display as I have been used to using... then it would be a candidate to replace my current secondary smartphone, my iPhone 5.

I've carried an Android and iPhone combo of two phones for the last five years. Traveling frequently as I do for work, having a second phone in case something happens to the first has come in handy.

Android version 4.2 is a particularly good OS and one that offers me so much more than iOS... it is hard to imagine a scenario that would lure me back to an iPhone only. Adding to that is the fast, fun and exemplary Swype, Swiftkey, and now the latest Google Keyboard that is also a swipe based input system. Finally the stellar and incredibly useful 5" display which has a PPI greater than my iPhone 5 for sparkling colors, terrific color balance and sharpness.

Don't me wrong I have nothing bad to say about iOS, it simply doesn't suit my needs. I've been spoiled by the great functionality of Android, especially over the last two years.

My current favorite of the three Androids above is my S4. Overall it's a really great Android phone.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I plan on buying the HTC One when Verizon finally gets its act together and releases the damn phone. However I will also most likely pick up an iPhone 5 on Craigslist when the next iPhone comes out. That is if I can find a good deal on one

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I hate to beat a dead horse here. But I was curious to see if any of the Android converts here would be going back to the next iPhone in the fall? I switched from an iPhone 4 to the S3 last June(2012), and since then I have owned a Nexus 4, as well as a Galaxy S4. I'm missing the reliability of the iPhone over these devices, and will be making the switch back unless the Note 3 can impress me. The iPhone just seems to be more efficient at getting work done in the real world. Is there anyone else out there that will be going back? If so, what are your reasons?

Why would anyone bother waiting? At this point, if a person was gonna go back to iOS, they might as well just get the iPhone 5. It isn't like the 5S is going to look, feel or run any differently, plus the 5 will be running iOS7, just like the 5S. A small speed bump in the CPU and a few more pixels pushed out of the camera isn't what I would call a worthwhile upgrade. The S4 is a significant jump in nearly every area of the S3, but even that wasn't worthwhile enough for me. I love my S3 running a custom ROM and an overclocked cpu.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I am giving heavy consideration to doing so. I used the very first iPhone for 3 years, then bought an Evo 4G in 2010 and still have it to this day. Now I am stuck trying to decide between the HTC One and either the 5S or just buying a 5 when the price drops and using that for a couple of years. I love the smoothness of iOS, and it should have better integration with my Mac. Also smaller things like the color schemes and typography which I am not a fan of in Android.

Fandroid98

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
I converted to Android.

Now I converted to Windows Phone 8. It's the perfect balance between iOS and Android. But if I had to go back to either Android or iOS, I'd go for iOS all the way.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I've never owned an iPhone, but I'm not against buying one if for some odd reason the stars align. lol.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I am giving heavy consideration to doing so. I used the very first iPhone for 3 years, then bought an Evo 4G in 2010 and still have it to this day. Now I am stuck trying to decide between the HTC One and either the 5S or just buying a 5 when the price drops and using that for a couple of years. I love the smoothness of iOS, and it should have better integration with my Mac. Also smaller things like the color schemes and typography which I am not a fan of in Android.

If you're still using an EVO 4G, I'd give the new Android devices a fair chance. The HTC One, or the Galaxy S4 would be your best bet. Best of luck in choosing!

I'm using a GS3 right now, but I'm so torn between a Google Edition One, or GS4. I love Android, but hate the bloatedness of all of the carrier branded phones. I don't need or want the gimmicky features of the GS4 either. Hrmm, decisions, decisions...It's just too easy to wait for an iPhone 5S. At least Apple has a "hands off" approach with the phones, and software. An approach I wish Android would take.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Me no. I'm sticking with Android for now. I left ios almost 3 years ago because I felt it was too restrictive for me and 3 years later its moved only about 10% in the direction I would like it to go.

My 2 cents!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.