Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pixar reported their 3rd quarter financial results today. Pixar reported net income of $27.4 million on revenues of $45.8 million over the 3rd quarter. This beat industry estimates, especially in a quarter in which Pixar did not release a movie.

Steve Jobs, of course, is both CEO of Apple as well as Pixar and was a participant of the Pixar results conference call.

In it, Jobs revealed that Pixar has sold 125,000 copies of their animated shorts that are being offered through Apple's iTunes Music Store. This provides some breakdown of online video sales from iTunes.

Apple previously announced that they had sold over 1 million videos over the first 20 days of video sales. No breakdown between Pixar shorts, Music Videos and Television shows had been provided at that time.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Great to hear

I hope some good movies come from them for the holiday season :)

image.php

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
i think he is saying that everyone else must be buying copies of lost if only 125,000 were from Pixar...

All I can say is that ABC must be very very happy with the results

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this is great for Pixar, especially since they released no movie this quarter, and to see their profits so high is well indeed since it is all coming from DVD sales in particular

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
tveric said:
It's a REAL stretch to call this a Mac Rumor, or even news.

this isn't a Rumor, but is indeed News, and worthy of attention here on MR for various reasons, as Pixar has a unique connection to Apple Computers. if you don't like the topic, ignore it and pass along.

.... upon re-reading the original posting. if only 125,000 animated shorts were sold that doesnt even account for a half a million in sales... so they must be doing something right, altough that is a good number considering they were started toward the end of the quater.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
PlaceofDis said:
this isn't a Rumor, but is indeed News, and worthy of attention here on MR for various reasons, as Pixar has a unique connection to Apple Computers. if you don't like the topic, ignore it and pass along.

The "unique connection" is, in total, that Steve Jobs is the CEO of both companies. Your statement is like saying that if you're a Chicago Bulls fan, you also must be interested in the doings of the Birmingham Barons, because Michael Jordan played there for a while.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
tveric said:
The "unique connection" is, in total, that Steve Jobs is the CEO of both companies. Your statement is like saying that if you're a Chicago Bulls fan, you also must be interested in the doings of the Birmingham Barons, because Michael Jordan played there for a while.

The news in this item is that 125,000 Pixar videos were sold in less than a month on the itunes music store. I thought that was clear from the blurb.

arn

briangrapes

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2004
the connection is obvious to me

It cracks me up to see the complaining that occurs on these message boards by people who cannot seem to just scroll down and ignore the updates they don't find relevant.

kanaka

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
briangrapes said:
It cracks me up to see the complaining that occurs on these message boards by people who cannot seem to just scroll down and ignore the updates they don't find relevant.
Well, I for one am annoyed that Pixar is discussing Apple news in their quarterly report. Don't they know that their only connection to Apple is their CEO? How are Apple's animated video downloads related to Pixar? I think I'm going to email Steve right now and tell him to keep his companies straight :)

Hal B. Sure

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2005
andiwm2003 said:
you just gotta love those birds. downloaded it right away. so one of the 125000 was me:D

Thank goodness you did, or Steve would have had to report that 124999 copies of Pixar shorts were sold, and that's just an inelegant number.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
briangrapes said:
Some people obviously have too much time on their hands;)

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
tveric said:
It's a REAL stretch to call this a Mac Rumor, or even news.

macrumors isnt as narrow as you seem to think. and not calling this news is .....well....how is this not note worthy? the profitability of a company? your kidding right? have you ever heard of the wall street journal? they have tons of story's about the financial standings of businesses. :rolleyes:

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
thanks for the info arn. macrumors is where i get 90% of my mac news. I always know that if its happening, news or rumor, "MacRumors" will will have the scoop.

unbelievable someone would 8!tch about having an apple related news story here at mac rumors.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
I find this interesting news. Sorry for those that don't see it. Moving on...

I'd be interested to know whether TV shows or music videos make up the majority of the remaining sales.

SAukland

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
kanaka said:
Well, I for one am annoyed that Pixar is discussing Apple news in their quarterly report. Don't they know that their only connection to Apple is their CEO? How are Apple's animated video downloads related to Pixar? I think I'm going to email Steve right now and tell him to keep his companies straight :)

Except for that little detail that it was a financial results conference call... where they report earnings. So... translated for you... they made revenue from selling shorts in the iTunes store. And they reported it. Even if Motorola was selling phones in the store, or Lugz was selling boots, they would report it as a portion of their revenue.

Numbers please investors. Then they can follow trends and predict the behavior of a stock. Its essential to know what portion of the million movies sold were from Pixar, as it could affect future earnings if it rises.

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
arn said:
The news in this item is that 125,000 Pixar videos were sold in less than a month on the itunes music store. I thought that was clear from the blurb.

arn

abundantly.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
SAukland said:
Except for that little detail that it was a financial results conference call... where they report earnings. So... translated for you... they made revenue from selling shorts in the iTunes store. And they reported it. Even if Motorola was selling phones in the store, or Lugz was selling boots, they would report it as a portion of their revenue.

Numbers please investors. Then they can follow trends and predict the behavior of a stock. Its essential to know what portion of the million movies sold were from Pixar, as it could affect future earnings if it rises.

Actually, no earnings were reported by Pixar for sales through iTunes. Pixar Q3 results are though Oct 1. iTunes 6.0 (with online video sales) was introduced Oct. 12.

Steve said in Pixar's earnings conference call that 125,000 videos were sold to date, as of Nov 8. It was just a bit of hype from Steve for his other, also ridiculously successful company. :)

(and, FWIW, the 1,000,000 videos sold annoucement was Oct 31.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.