Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:33 AM   #1
zephonic
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LA
My '09 Mac Pro vs. my '13 MacBook Air Geekbench

I compared the 32-bit results as I do not have the paid-for Geekbench on MBA (yet). My MacPro scores 9543 in 64-bit mode.

The scores aren't close, but it is interesting (if not all that surprising) to see that the MBA outperforms the MP on quite a few aspects!

Frankly, I did not quite expect this, as the Geekbench is said to only test CPU and Memory speeds, thus not taking into account the slower HDD's in the MacPro.










__________________
"the irony of the information age is that is has given new respectability to uninformed opinion." - John Lawton

Last edited by zephonic; Jul 1, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
zephonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:52 AM   #2
wonderspark
macrumors 68030
 
wonderspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
When I first got my 4,1 Mac Pro in 2009, it had the 3.33GHz quad core, and got 10,000-something in Geekbench. Since then, I've put in the W3680 6-core and it went up to 15,800-something. I know others with the same setup have seen over 16,000.

I just ran my newest laptop and got 12,085. Not too bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Geekbench MBP 9,1.png
Views:	85
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	420812  
__________________
Wait a second... So you're telling me anything that happens in the sky is legal, and there's a giant crime-blimp flying around this place? I don't know how I missed that.
wonderspark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 05:12 AM   #3
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
you license is good for all your computers as far as I know.

Im of the belief that we hit fast enough for most in portables a few years ago. My 17 C2D does everything that I think most people use their portables for and its a couple thousand behind your air (4700ish). The only time I notice a speed difference between my MBP and my MP is when things get absurd.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
wonderspark
macrumors 68030
 
wonderspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Yes, forgot to mention, the license key will work on more than one device, if you managed to keep that key somewhere handy.
__________________
Wait a second... So you're telling me anything that happens in the sky is legal, and there's a giant crime-blimp flying around this place? I don't know how I missed that.
wonderspark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:48 AM   #5
ness96
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Does anyone else feel that attempting to distill overall system performance down to single number for comparison is extremely misguided and weird?

I feel like you're comparing apples to oranges between the Air and the Pro system. The pro systems are going to steamroll an Air when it comes to highly paralleled tasks.

Don't get me wrong, benchmarks are fun.....and I don't know why. But really, it's a bigger question of exactly what it is you need for your daily tasks.
ness96 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Boomhowler
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I guess it's because that the frequency boost on the air can push it above the xeon's 2.6 GHz, which makes it better on some single core operations. Also, the memory is faster on the laptop, which shows here. Different computers for different uses and also, it's four years between them

I'm pretty amazed that a four (or even the 2008 mac pro's) year old computer only has been reached by laptops now (some in 2012 as well). The longevity of a mac pro is very nice. My 2008 mac pro still runs circles around the "workstations" we have at work (HP laptops from ~2010/11, they are getting very long in the tooth).
Boomhowler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:21 AM   #7
zephonic
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
you license is good for all your computers as far as I know.
Thanks, I wondered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness96 View Post
Does anyone else feel that attempting to distill overall system performance down to single number for comparison is extremely misguided and weird?
I look at the Geekbench as a dyno test for computers. Such a test has no relevance to how cars behave on the road, but it is the best method to determine and compare engine power output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhowler View Post
I guess it's because that the frequency boost on the air can push it above the xeon's 2.6 GHz, which makes it better on some single core operations.
I think the 1.3 GHz turbos to 2.6? That would still be 0.06 slower than the Xeon's 2.66
__________________
"the irony of the information age is that is has given new respectability to uninformed opinion." - John Lawton

Last edited by zephonic; Jul 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
zephonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Baunkjaer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Send a message via MSN to Baunkjaer
Im not surprised. My MBP hits 10,5K which is about 1,5K below my MP - both 64-bit Geekbench.
__________________

MP 5,1, W3565, 24GB, 250GB 840 EVO [Solo x2], 120GB OWC 3G, 1TB, HD 5870, 2*Dell P2314H
MBA 6,2, 1,4GHz (i5), 4GB, 128GB, HD5000  iPhone 6  2TB  TC
Baunkjaer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Boomhowler
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I think the 1.3 GHz turbos to 2.6? That would still be 0.06 slower than the Xeon's 2.66
Ah, my bad, I thought it was 3.5 for all processors, not only the i7
Boomhowler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:55 PM   #10
BJonson
macrumors 6502a
 
BJonson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I have a 3,1 8 core mac pro. It gets a 9900 32bit score. My other macs get around 10500 and they are macbook pros. I don't know what it is but my mac pro just feels faster. It handles handbrake better, the fans never ramp up ever where as the other macs go nuts if you even do flash. There is something to be said for more cores. It levels everything out so it does if faster. If I ignore the geekbench scores I would say my mac pro is way faster than anything apple has put out so far. Well it feels that way and that is all that really matters I guess.
BJonson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:49 PM   #11
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJonson View Post
I have a 3,1 8 core mac pro. It gets a 9900 32bit score. My other macs get around 10500 and they are macbook pros. I don't know what it is but my mac pro just feels faster. It handles handbrake better, the fans never ramp up ever where as the other macs go nuts if you even do flash. There is something to be said for more cores. It levels everything out so it does if faster. If I ignore the geekbench scores I would say my mac pro is way faster than anything apple has put out so far. Well it feels that way and that is all that really matters I guess.
I've had similar results. You can slide more ram into a mac pro too, so that definitely helps. There's a difference between minimum required and when you stop seeing performance increases.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 08:24 PM   #12
numbersyx
macrumors 65816
 
numbersyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
When I first got my 4,1 Mac Pro in 2009, it had the 3.33GHz quad core, and got 10,000-something in Geekbench. Since then, I've put in the W3680 6-core and it went up to 15,800-something. I know others with the same setup have seen over 16,000.

I just ran my newest laptop and got 12,085. Not too bad!
Do you have instructions for making that upgrade? Want to do the same thing myself for my 2009 MP....
numbersyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:10 PM   #13
Studio K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersyx View Post
Do you have instructions for making that upgrade? Want to do the same thing myself for my 2009 MP....
Read over this thread for detailed instructions with pictures....
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1122551
Studio K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 08:12 AM   #14
numbersyx
macrumors 65816
 
numbersyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio K View Post
Read over this thread for detailed instructions with pictures....
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1122551
Many thanks!

One more question: these instructions are for an upgrade from 2010 model. I've read that the 09 CPU had a different depth and that you might need to get a thicker washer to ensure that the heatsink doesn't crush it. Did you need to do anything to protect the CPU?
numbersyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Studio K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersyx View Post
Many thanks!

One more question: these instructions are for an upgrade from 2010 model. I've read that the 09 CPU had a different depth and that you might need to get a thicker washer to ensure that the heatsink doesn't crush it. Did you need to do anything to protect the CPU?
The instructions in the link are for a single CPU model. Does your Mac Pro have 2 cpu's?

The depth and washer concerns only apply to the dual-processor Mac Pro. I have no experience with that one but it sounds complicated.

The single-cpu model is very straightforward: Remove heatsink, replace CPU, apply thermal compound, reattach heat sink.

You must first change your firmware to that of a 2010 before installing the 6 core processor.

Last edited by Studio K; Jul 5, 2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Studio K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Macsonic
macrumors 65816
 
Macsonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersyx View Post
Many thanks!

One more question: these instructions are for an upgrade from 2010 model. I've read that the 09 CPU had a different depth and that you might need to get a thicker washer to ensure that the heatsink doesn't crush it. Did you need to do anything to protect the CPU?
Hi Numbersyx Here is a link on upgrading dual CPUs in a 2009 MP http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800/u...lem-mac-pro/10

I also read somewhere in this forum when returning the heat sinks you have to tighten the screws correctly.
Macsonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 03:00 PM   #17
handheldgames
macrumors 6502a
 
handheldgames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
You Mac Pro definitely needs an upgrade. I was able to grab a i7 990x for 475@frys a couple months ago. (equivalent to the w3690) A small bump that would more than double your performance. Add in a Velocity X2 and a samsung 840 to really make your mac fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	geekbench.png
Views:	24
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	421584  
__________________
Software Developer/Hardware Designer - 4,1->5,1 MacPro i7-990x 6-Core, 1TB Apple SATA Express PCIe, XP941 NGFF SSD, 32GB RAM, GTX 680, rMBP 15" Late '13
handheldgames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 05:07 PM   #18
numbersyx
macrumors 65816
 
numbersyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio K View Post
The instructions in the link are for a single CPU model. Does your Mac Pro have 2 cpu's?

The depth and washer concerns only apply to the dual-processor Mac Pro. I have no experience with that one but it sounds complicated.

The single-cpu model is very straightforward: Remove heatsink, replace CPU, apply thermal compound, reattach heat sink.

You must first change your firmware to that of a 2010 before installing the 6 core processor.
Yep, I have the dual CPU unfortunately. Have already flashed the firmware but have to look for instructions on what to look for with the washer and depth issues. I will keep searching the web...
numbersyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Pro to replace ailing Mac Pro and Macbook Air Mhaddy Mac Pro 3 May 15, 2014 10:32 AM
2.8GHz Retina MacBook Pro Geekbench! THETIMES MacBook Pro 23 Feb 21, 2013 02:53 PM
Low geekbench score i5 macbook pro.... why? jesso MacBook Pro 7 Jul 24, 2012 03:25 PM
New MacBook Air Ultimate Geekbench Score dlbmacfan MacBook Air 40 Jun 21, 2012 07:29 PM
New MacBook Air (2 Ghz Core i7) beats my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro in benchmarks sirris101 MacBook Air 1 Jun 12, 2012 12:18 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC