Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Updates OneNote for iPhone and iPad With Improved Consistency

Microsoft has released updates to its OneNote note taking software for iPhone and iPad, nearly a year after its last release.

Version 2 adds more consistent cross-platform display of notes, full-page view on iPad, and additional formatting options, among other smaller changes. Microsoft does suggest that current OneNote users sync their data before upgrading.
Quote:
Today we are proud to announce the new versions of OneNote on iPad, iPhone and Android. Internally, we have been calling them version 2, and we think you are going love all of the new features and functionality available in these updates. A lot of the features are based on your feedback and we look forward to seeing what you have to say about this update.

If you have an iPad, iPhone or iPod, please download OneNote for iPad or OneNote for iPhone from the App Store, where you can get started for free today. We think that once you start using OneNote to keep track of your ideas, share with others and be more organized, you will never need another note-taking solution.
OneNote for iPhone and iPad are free downloads from the App Store. [Direct Links: iPhone, iPad]

Article Link: Microsoft Updates OneNote for iPhone and iPad With Improved Consistency
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:39 AM   #2
McFreggle
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to McFreggle
Looks good!

Will be a drawback for the good folks at Outline...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
nostaws
macrumors 6502

This is probably more functional, and provides better editing than their recently released office apps.

And it is free vs. the office apps that you have to buy/rent their larger counterparts.
nostaws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Battlefield Fan
Banned

When will they add the ability to sign in with an organizational email address like they did with the Sky Drive Pro app?
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:26 PM   #5
treblig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
When will they add the ability to sign in with an organizational email address like they did with the Sky Drive Pro app?
Ben from the OneNote team here. Thanks for asking! On first run, you sign into the app with your Microsoft account, and then you can add your organizational email address from there. Here are the details:

1. Open the app and go through the welcome screens.
2. Sign in with a Microsoft account. If you don't already have one, you can sign up for one here: http://signup.live.com.
3. Tap the gear in the top right corner.
4. Tap "Accounts".
5. Tap "Add a Service".
6. Tap "Office 365 SharePoint"
7. Enter your organizational email and password.

You should be all set from there! You can now browse notebooks stored on your organization's SharePoint.
treblig is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Futurix
macrumors regular

Can't see retina support for iPad in the list of new features - hopefully it was finally added and it is just an omission
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:42 PM   #7
EGlasheen
macrumors member

Nice update. Looks good so far... Now for Office on iPad! Ed
EGlasheen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Mr.damien

I see shadow in the icon, this is a heresy. it's not completely flat, it goes against all Microsoft rules.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:08 PM   #9
treblig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurix View Post
Can't see retina support for iPad in the list of new features - hopefully it was finally added and it is just an omission
Ben from the OneNote team here. Yep, there's full retina support! Just too many features to put them all in the app description.
treblig is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Futurix
macrumors regular

Very good!
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
matamoris
macrumors member

Ben, any chance for a Mac version? I think OneNote is superior to Evernote in many ways and would buy a Mac version in a heartbeat.

Matt
matamoris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
treblig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamoris View Post
Ben, any chance for a Mac version? I think OneNote is superior to Evernote in many ways and would buy a Mac version in a heartbeat.

Matt
Hey, we appreciate the feedback! It's great to hear the platforms that our customers are using, and please keep it coming. Right now, the OneNote Web App is the best way to use OneNote on your Mac.
treblig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Sensa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblig View Post
Ben from the OneNote team here. Yep, there's full retina support! Just too many features to put them all in the app description.
While I'm not a big fan of MS I must say I am a big fan of Ben from the Onenote team- the fact he took the time to monitor this thread and reply to customer concerns / questions shows a level of customer service that is both savvy and rare...kudos.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:44 PM   #14
pacmania1982
macrumors 6502a

Now if Microsoft can release *THIS* for iOS - I can only hope that Word, Excel and PowerPoint are this good!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:04 PM   #15
H.Finch
macrumors newbie

Now an OSX version and the best thing to come out of MS is cross platform on Apple... I hope they're listening.... it's by far my fav app... and others are busy filling this gap at the very moment...

By the way, I got a massage saying 'Youll have to pay if you have more then ... notebooks' on the previous version....does 'free' this time mean its really free?
H.Finch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:06 PM   #16
rrosendahl
macrumors newbie

Password-protected notebooks

One thing I've always found very annoying is the fact that one can't open and edit password-protected notebooks from iOS.
Has 2.0 fixed that issue? I'd love to get rid of Evernote...
rrosendahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:17 PM   #17
treblig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Finch View Post
Now an OSX version and the best thing to come out of MS is cross platform on Apple... I hope they're listening.... it's by far my fav app... and others are busy filling this gap at the very moment...

By the way, I got a massage saying 'Youll have to pay if you have more then ... notebooks' on the previous version....does 'free' this time mean its really free?
Ben from the OneNote team here - great to hear you're a fan. Feedback on platforms is heard, and noted.

Regarding the previous version and paying for an upgrade: this version of the app really is free! There is no 500-note limit like there was before, and there is no in-app purchase. So once you download, you can go right ahead and sync all of your notebooks from your SkyDrive.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosendahl View Post
One thing I've always found very annoying is the fact that one can't open and edit password-protected notebooks from iOS.
Has 2.0 fixed that issue? I'd love to get rid of Evernote...
While the OneNote for iOS app doesn't currently support password-protected notebooks, you can access them through the OneNote Web App. It's also something we're looking into for the future.
treblig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:25 PM   #18
EGlasheen
macrumors member

Quote:
Hey, we appreciate the feedback! It's great to hear the platforms that our customers are using, and please keep it coming. Right now, the OneNote Web App is the best way to use OneNote on your Mac.
I would have payed for OneNote for iPad. Microsoft needs synergy with it's applications, especially in an collaborative environment (SharePoint). Can you imagine the revenue bringing Project to iOS and Mac?

Ed
EGlasheen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:01 PM   #19
H.Finch
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Ben from the OneNote team here - great to hear you're a fan. Feedback on platforms is heard, and noted.

Regarding the previous version and paying for an upgrade: this version of the app really is free! There is no 500-note limit like there was before, and there is no in-app purchase. So once you download, you can go right ahead and sync all of your notebooks from your SkyDrive.

----------

While the OneNote for iOS app doesn't currently support password-protected notebooks, you can access them through the OneNote Web App. It's also something we're looking into for the future.
Thanks Ben! I'm a huge fan... I'm running Windows 7 (which takes away about 20 gigs) in a virtual machine, fulltime, just to run OneNote... if there'd ever be a Mac version... I'd pay for it in a heartbeat... even 200 bucks if needed... I know this is as much as the whole MS suite for mac, but that puts my passion in perspective
H.Finch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:20 PM   #20
wildmac
macrumors 65816

Very interesting...

Since N+OTES just started spamming me with popups every 30 minutes for "premium services" I've been looking to ditch that and looking for a substitute.

Guess I know which one I'll try first.
wildmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:46 PM   #21
Ferc Kast
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Ferc Kast
Can you make handwritten notes with a stylus with this new update? (Just curious.)
Ferc Kast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:52 PM   #22
treblig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferc Kast View Post
Can you make handwritten notes with a stylus with this new update? (Just curious.)
Good question - this version doesn't support creation of ink elements, however it will render ink elements in your notebook made on other platforms, as well as search their contents digitized as text.
treblig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Khaaaaaaaaaan
macrumors newbie

Still can't open a OneNote file from a CIFS share (think home drive) from within other apps on iOS. The file association isn't present like other apps provide. Example: I can open Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDFs using QuickOffice Pro from inside of mobilEcho but ON files do not associate. I can even open Visio files the same way. It's like the hooks are missing. Give me that option and then we'll start taking about using this in our enterprise.

Thanks,

-k
Khaaaaaaaaaan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:07 PM   #24
schrempws
macrumors newbie

best app for note i have ever seen
schrempws is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 07:48 AM   #25
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:
Ben from the OneNote team here. Thanks for asking! On first run, you sign into the app with your Microsoft account, and then you can add your organizational email address from there. Here are the details:

1. Open the app and go through the welcome screens.
2. Sign in with a Microsoft account. If you don't already have one, you can sign up for one here: http://signup.live.com.
3. Tap the gear in the top right corner.
4. Tap "Accounts".
5. Tap "Add a Service".
6. Tap "Office 365 SharePoint"
7. Enter your organizational email and password.

You should be all set from there! You can now browse notebooks stored on your organization's SharePoint.
Awesome! Thank you!
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion