Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

onenote.jpg
Microsoft has released updates to its OneNote note taking software for iPhone and iPad, nearly a year after its last release.

Version 2 adds more consistent cross-platform display of notes, full-page view on iPad, and additional formatting options, among other smaller changes. Microsoft does suggest that current OneNote users sync their data before upgrading.
Today we are proud to announce the new versions of OneNote on iPad, iPhone and Android. Internally, we have been calling them version 2, and we think you are going love all of the new features and functionality available in these updates. A lot of the features are based on your feedback and we look forward to seeing what you have to say about this update.

If you have an iPad, iPhone or iPod, please download OneNote for iPad or OneNote for iPhone from the App Store, where you can get started for free today. We think that once you start using OneNote to keep track of your ideas, share with others and be more organized, you will never need another note-taking solution.
OneNote for iPhone and iPad are free downloads from the App Store. [Direct Links: iPhone, iPad]

Article Link: Microsoft Updates OneNote for iPhone and iPad With Improved Consistency

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
This is probably more functional, and provides better editing than their recently released office apps.

And it is free vs. the office apps that you have to buy/rent their larger counterparts.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
When will they add the ability to sign in with an organizational email address like they did with the Sky Drive Pro app?

treblig

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
When will they add the ability to sign in with an organizational email address like they did with the Sky Drive Pro app?

Ben from the OneNote team here. Thanks for asking! On first run, you sign into the app with your Microsoft account, and then you can add your organizational email address from there. Here are the details:

1. Open the app and go through the welcome screens.
2. Sign in with a Microsoft account. If you don't already have one, you can sign up for one here: http://signup.live.com.
3. Tap the gear in the top right corner.
4. Tap "Accounts".
5. Tap "Add a Service".
6. Tap "Office 365 SharePoint"
7. Enter your organizational email and password.

You should be all set from there! You can now browse notebooks stored on your organization's SharePoint.

M

Mr.damien

I see shadow in the icon, this is a heresy. it's not completely flat, it goes against all Microsoft rules.

treblig

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Can't see retina support for iPad in the list of new features - hopefully it was finally added and it is just an omission :rolleyes:

Ben from the OneNote team here. Yep, there's full retina support! Just too many features to put them all in the app description.

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
Ben, any chance for a Mac version? I think OneNote is superior to Evernote in many ways and would buy a Mac version in a heartbeat.

Matt

treblig

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Ben, any chance for a Mac version? I think OneNote is superior to Evernote in many ways and would buy a Mac version in a heartbeat.

Matt

Hey, we appreciate the feedback! It's great to hear the platforms that our customers are using, and please keep it coming. Right now, the OneNote Web App is the best way to use OneNote on your Mac.

Sensa

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Ben from the OneNote team here. Yep, there's full retina support! Just too many features to put them all in the app description.

While I'm not a big fan of MS I must say I am a big fan of Ben from the Onenote team- the fact he took the time to monitor this thread and reply to customer concerns / questions shows a level of customer service that is both savvy and rare...kudos.

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
Now an OSX version and the best thing to come out of MS is cross platform on Apple... I hope they're listening.... it's by far my fav app... and others are busy filling this gap at the very moment...

By the way, I got a massage saying 'Youll have to pay if you have more then ... notebooks' on the previous version....does 'free' this time mean its really free?

rrosendahl

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Password-protected notebooks

One thing I've always found very annoying is the fact that one can't open and edit password-protected notebooks from iOS.
Has 2.0 fixed that issue? I'd love to get rid of Evernote...

treblig

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Now an OSX version and the best thing to come out of MS is cross platform on Apple... I hope they're listening.... it's by far my fav app... and others are busy filling this gap at the very moment...

By the way, I got a massage saying 'Youll have to pay if you have more then ... notebooks' on the previous version....does 'free' this time mean its really free?

Ben from the OneNote team here - great to hear you're a fan. Feedback on platforms is heard, and noted.

Regarding the previous version and paying for an upgrade: this version of the app really is free! There is no 500-note limit like there was before, and there is no in-app purchase. So once you download, you can go right ahead and sync all of your notebooks from your SkyDrive.

----------

One thing I've always found very annoying is the fact that one can't open and edit password-protected notebooks from iOS.
Has 2.0 fixed that issue? I'd love to get rid of Evernote...

While the OneNote for iOS app doesn't currently support password-protected notebooks, you can access them through the OneNote Web App. It's also something we're looking into for the future.

EGlasheen

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Hey, we appreciate the feedback! It's great to hear the platforms that our customers are using, and please keep it coming. Right now, the OneNote Web App is the best way to use OneNote on your Mac.

I would have payed for OneNote for iPad. Microsoft needs synergy with it's applications, especially in an collaborative environment (SharePoint). Can you imagine the revenue bringing Project to iOS and Mac?

Ed

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
Ben from the OneNote team here - great to hear you're a fan. Feedback on platforms is heard, and noted.

Regarding the previous version and paying for an upgrade: this version of the app really is free! There is no 500-note limit like there was before, and there is no in-app purchase. So once you download, you can go right ahead and sync all of your notebooks from your SkyDrive.

----------

While the OneNote for iOS app doesn't currently support password-protected notebooks, you can access them through the OneNote Web App. It's also something we're looking into for the future.

Thanks Ben! I'm a huge fan... I'm running Windows 7 (which takes away about 20 gigs) in a virtual machine, fulltime, just to run OneNote... if there'd ever be a Mac version... I'd pay for it in a heartbeat... even 200 bucks if needed... I know this is as much as the whole MS suite for mac, but that puts my passion in perspective :)

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Very interesting...

Since N+OTES just started spamming me with popups every 30 minutes for "premium services" I've been looking to ditch that and looking for a substitute.

Guess I know which one I'll try first. :)

treblig

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
Can you make handwritten notes with a stylus with this new update? (Just curious.)

Good question - this version doesn't support creation of ink elements, however it will render ink elements in your notebook made on other platforms, as well as search their contents digitized as text.

Khaaaaaaaaaan

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Madision, WI
Still can't open a OneNote file from a CIFS share (think home drive) from within other apps on iOS. The file association isn't present like other apps provide. Example: I can open Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDFs using QuickOffice Pro from inside of mobilEcho but ON files do not associate. I can even open Visio files the same way. It's like the hooks are missing. Give me that option and then we'll start taking about using this in our enterprise.

Thanks,

-k

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Ben from the OneNote team here. Thanks for asking! On first run, you sign into the app with your Microsoft account, and then you can add your organizational email address from there. Here are the details:

1. Open the app and go through the welcome screens.
2. Sign in with a Microsoft account. If you don't already have one, you can sign up for one here: http://signup.live.com.
3. Tap the gear in the top right corner.
4. Tap "Accounts".
5. Tap "Add a Service".
6. Tap "Office 365 SharePoint"
7. Enter your organizational email and password.

You should be all set from there! You can now browse notebooks stored on your organization's SharePoint.

Awesome! Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.