Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that Apple is likely to launch its annual "Back to School" promotion in the United States and other countries this week, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. The program offers iTunes Store/App Store gift cards to students who purchase a Mac or iPad, and for the first time the program will also include iPhone purchases this year.
The promotion will give eligible students an iTunes/App Store gift card with the purchase of a Mac, iPad, and for the first time, an iPhone. The gift cards that come with Mac purchases will be worth 100$ while the cards accompanying the iOS Devices will be worth $50.
MacRumors had heard over the weekend that Apple retail stores will be performing an "overnight" tonight to adjust signage and other aspects of store layouts. Our source indicated that tonight's changes are likely to be in support of the Back to School promotion, suggesting that it will indeed launch tomorrow.

apple_students_hero.jpg
Apple runs the Back to School promotion at different times throughout the year in different countries to correspond to the various educational calendars, but the program launching this week will be the company's largest as it will likely include the United States, Canada, and Europe.

Article Link: Apple Set to Launch Annual 'Back to School' Promotion, iPhone Included for First Time

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Now if Apple could just release their Haswell rMBPs, Mac Minis, and iMacs already :)

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
it would be nice if high school students were also included in this and the education pricing programs.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Ordered my new macbook air yesterday. I'm a student..

Does this mean I miss out? :(

Did you get a student discount? If so you won't be saving anything with this offer. :)

And if you didn't buy it with a student discount … why not? :confused:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Does anyone know how this worked in past years? Do you go in an Apple store and present some sort of identification or proof of you being a student?

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Confused. Does this mean if you buy a Mac you can get $50 toward an iPhone? Or does this mean if you purchase an iPhone you get $50 towards the iTunes store?

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Just the $100 Mac App Store gift card was kind of a bummer. In 2009 and prior It was worth it to wait for these promotions so you could get a $200 device for free along with student discount. I'd be pretty happy to see this type of promotion implemented again.

LYFK

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
So either new product gets announced along with the BTS, or everyone waits until after October? Sounds around right.

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
Good. Demand has been low for the iPhone and they need to maintain that market share.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Yeah I used a student discount, I figured they would give me the $100 gift card too :D

Who knows what will happen this year until it's announced but in years past you get a student discount plus the promotion on top of that. So I would cancel your order and reorder if I were you. Or use the 14 day return (price match) to get the promo.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Does anyone know how this worked in past years? Do you go in an Apple store and present some sort of identification or proof of you being a student?

I bought a MacBook Air last September after my HP crapped out less than 20 days into the semester. I used my student discount and got a $100 App Store gift card. I ordered online and was not asked for any proof that I was a student. I don't even think it asked for my .edu email address.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps

The way I've seen it in the past is present identification (not sure what they will require - student card, class schedule or something like that) in the store. Or click through apple.com store to the education part and select your school.

----------

and now we know when the next iphone is announced. The day after this ends...

Not necessarily. One year I'm pretty sure new iPods were announced toward the end of the summer and I got the promo with the new iPod. This was an exception to the rule though. Usually the new stuff comes out after the promo and before the holidays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.