Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Ryan Burgess
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Bent iPhone 5!

I remember reading these forums a while ago, and stumbling upon many threads saying someone's iPhone has bent itself. I thought these people were just trolls, or wanted to get a replacemt for free...until it happened to me.

I take good care of my phone. Never dropped it, never scratched it severely, and never put it in a case. But today, I had to ride my bike to a friends house cause I didnt have a car. I put my phone in a case (I only do if I'm biking or hiking) and left. Nothing happened, I didn't crash, I wore loose jeans and everything.

Once I'm back home I take my phone out of the case and voila, it's bent. I was so shocked I ran around the house showing everyone! Then my sister brought up the fact that it was probably because of the heat. It's been in the 100's this week in San Diego and I was outside for a while biking around.

Now I'm still shocked this happened because even though it's hot, I had my phone in a case! Oh well. It's bent and there's nothing I can do. I scheduled an appointment at the Genius Bar, do you guys think they'll believe me that I didn't drop it or anything? I sure hope so because this is very weird. I took some pictures (sorry they're a little outta focus) and you'll see it bent right next to the volume buttons (consistent with other cases). Do you think apple will replace it? If anyone else has had this happen did apple replace it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	420997  
Ryan Burgess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Krov7
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
That's awful! Unlucky, I wonder what caused it. I hope they replace everything for you man... I'd be so gutted. Goodluck with the genius's, they will probably think you dropped it.

Now, get ready for what everyone else will say...



This never happens. Apple products are infallible and impossible to have defects. You must have jailbroken it and put Android on it, which caused the phone to bend. Think different.

Sent from my iPhone

/s
Krov7 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:51 AM   #3
fedecape
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Did you try restarting your phone?

Just kidding. Make a Genius Bar appointment and have it changed
fedecape is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:22 AM   #4
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
You were clearly holding it wrong.
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air | 2012 27" iMac | iPad 3 | iPhone 5
A Hebrew is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:31 AM   #5
springsup
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Burgess View Post
I remember reading these forums a while ago, and stumbling upon many threads saying someone's iPhone has bent itself. I thought these people were just trolls, or wanted to get a replacemt for free...until it happened to me.

I take good care of my phone. Never dropped it, never scratched it severely, and never put it in a case. But today, I had to ride my bike to a friends house cause I didnt have a car. I put my phone in a case (I only do if I'm biking or hiking) and left. Nothing happened, I didn't crash, I wore loose jeans and everything.

Once I'm back home I take my phone out of the case and voila, it's bent. I was so shocked I ran around the house showing everyone! Then my sister brought up the fact that it was probably because of the heat. It's been in the 100's this week in San Diego and I was outside for a while biking around.

Now I'm still shocked this happened because even though it's hot, I had my phone in a case! Oh well. It's bent and there's nothing I can do. I scheduled an appointment at the Genius Bar, do you guys think they'll believe me that I didn't drop it or anything? I sure hope so because this is very weird. I took some pictures (sorry they're a little outta focus) and you'll see it bent right next to the volume buttons (consistent with other cases). Do you think apple will replace it? If anyone else has had this happen did apple replace it?

Thanks
It should not deform due to heat. It's made of aluminium and glass.

Apple will definitely replace it if you take it to a store or call AppleCare. It's out of spec, so it's a defective product.
__________________
Sterling - the budget planner
Other apps only track your history; only Sterling helps you plan your future!
springsup is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:40 AM   #6
maliu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I hope you have Apple care +. They will claim you bent it.
maliu is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 02:55 AM   #7
HidingAmatanth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I just bought an iPhone 5 and it *came* bent.

It came via FedEx from AT&T (long story behind that), and while the box was damaged a bit, it was in the opposite direction of the bend.

Everyone I spoke with (and I talked to many, over 12 hours on the phone and 2 hours in Apple) claimed they never heard of such a thing happening.

They replaced mine. But there again, it was still wrapped in the original plastic and had never been turned on.
HidingAmatanth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:40 AM   #8
Xplicit iPhone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
You're saying your iphone is now gay?... That's not very nice
Xplicit iPhone is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:00 AM   #9
ramm24
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I have seen one also. It's bent but it is still working. He never bother to claim warranty though.
ramm24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
They all bend in the same place too. Seems when very, very hot, that weak spot by the volume buttons just can't hold it's shape and pressure from sitting/biking (in your case) bends it easily. I wouldn't expect the 5S to address this, because it's a design flaw. This isn't the first case where someone's pulled their 5 out of a case and it's bent. Heat build up must aggravate the flaw. Being extra tall, skinny and flat doesn't help.

I wonder how the {rumored} plastic iPhones will hold up? At least they would be flexible and return to shape...
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Tiger8
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
But hey it's 20% thinner and has all metal back!

Just kidding, yea, it's definitely a design flaw. Even if you don't have Applecare, you are still in the 1 year warranty period, go replace it
Tiger8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 07:50 AM   #12
anaqvi786
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: At iOS planet
You know, you can possibly fix the bend by using a clamp and some wood. There is a video on YouTube that shows the fix. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
anaqvi786 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Ryan Burgess
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
They all bend in the same place too. Seems when very, very hot, that weak spot by the volume buttons just can't hold it's shape and pressure from sitting/biking (in your case) bends it easily. I wouldn't expect the 5S to address this, because it's a design flaw. This isn't the first case where someone's pulled their 5 out of a case and it's bent. Heat build up must aggravate the flaw. Being extra tall, skinny and flat doesn't help.

I wonder how the {rumored} plastic iPhones will hold up? At least they would be flexible and return to shape...
Ya I think that's the only plausible explanation for this, as it literally happened within a 5 hour time period, for most of which I was outside.
The thing that I don't get is wouldn't/shouldn't the case have kept it in its original position? It seems weird that it was due to the case that it bent....would apple still replace it if they thought it was due to the case?
Ryan Burgess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:46 AM   #14
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a
 
oneMadRssn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA


It's happened because you installed iOS7 on it.

All kidding asside, sorry... that sucks. Hope it works out. Keep us posted with what the Apple Store says or what options they give you.
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2011) 1.8ghz i7 256GB 4GB | iPhone 5 (Sprint) 16GB
oneMadRssn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit iPhone View Post
You're saying your iphone is now gay?... That's not very nice
Don't quit your dayjob.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 06:36 PM   #16
Ryan Burgess
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Took it in to the Genius Bar today. He said he'd never seen this before, and wanted to take a look at it. After taking it apart and seeing no internal damage (it wasn't the battery, or screen or anything) he said he would replace it under the warranty as he saw no points of impact, suggesting I didn't cause the damage.

This is why I love apple. I've always gotten a brand new device, or free service when something goes wrong. They really stand behind their products and have amazing customer service.
Ryan Burgess is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:03 AM   #17
ross1998
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Man ever since reading these threads I always look at my phone and it looks like its bent but when putting on flat surface it's perfectly straight, now I got something to worry about
ross1998 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 02:42 AM   #18
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816
 
Tankmaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Burgess View Post
Took it in to the Genius Bar today. He said he'd never seen this before, and wanted to take a look at it. After taking it apart and seeing no internal damage (it wasn't the battery, or screen or anything) he said he would replace it under the warranty as he saw no points of impact, suggesting I didn't cause the damage.

This is why I love apple. I've always gotten a brand new device, or free service when something goes wrong. They really stand behind their products and have amazing customer service.
great to hear about that.

thanks to your post, i'll take care of my phone even more. don't want the hassle to exchange because of a bent phone.
__________________
Check out our game Tank Maze
Tankmaze is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 02:51 AM   #19
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
It's a known defect but Apple will never admit it. That's understandable because everyone would expect a new phone. Next year they're sure to be stronger.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:11 PM   #20
kfergiez
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I love how people say the phrase "my iPhone bent itself." You bent it. You just don't know how. It didn't magically bend itself just because you didn't know how it was bent.
kfergiez is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:03 PM   #21
zigzagg321
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: the wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
I love how people say the phrase "my iPhone bent itself." You bent it. You just don't know how. It didn't magically bend itself just because you didn't know how it was bent.
Exactly this, heat will not bend an iPhone like that unless it were to get hot enough to burn through your pants and skin etc...

You bent the phone OP, you just didn't notice when it happened. Replacement should have cost you $229, but you got lucky.
zigzagg321 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:23 PM   #22
AndrewR23
macrumors 68020
 
AndrewR23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagg321 View Post
Exactly this, heat will not bend an iPhone like that unless it were to get hot enough to burn through your pants and skin etc...

You bent the phone OP, you just didn't notice when it happened. Replacement should have cost you $229, but you got lucky.
how can someone bend a phone made of glass and whatever with no other damage? No damage of dropping?
AndrewR23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:31 PM   #23
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR23 View Post
how can someone bend a phone made of glass and whatever with no other damage? No damage of dropping?
The exact same way you can bend it back with no other damage. Are you suggesting it magically bent itself with no other damage? Doesn't that seem even more odd?

I'm confident people are accidentally doing it by leaning on it when its in their pocket or something. At the same time I think the phone should be more rigid and less susceptible to this.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:36 PM   #24
AndrewR23
macrumors 68020
 
AndrewR23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
The exact same way you can bend it back with no other damage. Are you suggesting it magically bent itself with no other damage? Doesn't that seem even more odd?

I'm confident people are accidentally doing it by leaning on it when its in their pocket or something. At the same time I think the phone should be more rigid and less susceptible to this.
Well, according to the OP, it bent "magically."

Now I keep my phone in pristine condition. I have no scratches, scuffs, dents, chips anywhere on my 5. If one day I took it out of my pocket and the phone is bent after going bike riding for a few hours, then that is not my fault.


Thats called a design flaw. Period.
AndrewR23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 01:51 PM   #25
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR23 View Post
Well, according to the OP, it bent "magically."

Now I keep my phone in pristine condition. I have no scratches, scuffs, dents, chips anywhere on my 5. If one day I took it out of my pocket and the phone is bent after going bike riding for a few hours, then that is not my fault.


Thats called a design flaw. Period.

And if you fall off your bike and land on it that's not your fault either? There's no difference whether you did it not.

If It was fine before you put it in you pocket and its not when you take it out. Not your fault though we need to find someone to blame?

Its a fragile device, more fragile then other phones and previous iPhones. You know this. Yet when you do some outdoor activity and it gets damaged you start pointing the blame finger? How embarrassing.

Its aluminum it bends! What are you going to say next? If you drop it and the screen cracks its defective? Aluminum bends, glass breaks.

My solution (one size does not fit all). I do a lot of back packing for weeks on end. I have a dumb phone and leave my iPhone at home. And I even have the more durable 4S. But I do that because I know I could break it. If it gets broken in my backpack I'd take responsibility for it, however I choose to avoid that situation.

I'm not defending the 5's weak design. Because it should be more durable. But its just silly that everyone knows about this yet refuses to be more delicate with device or avoid buying one in the first place.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   8 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bent iPhone 5s DerfBWH iPhone 19 Oct 4, 2013 08:30 AM
Need help bent my iPhone jz7410 iPhone 12 Jun 26, 2013 04:17 AM
I bent my iPhone 5 iapplelove iPhone 54 Jun 21, 2013 06:16 AM
iPhone 5 bent! gfasciana iPhone 189 Jan 2, 2013 11:52 PM
Bent iPhone 5 polish101 iPhone 72 Dec 28, 2012 12:02 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC