Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Dutch Officials Set to Open 11 iPad-Only 'Steve Jobs Schools' for Children

Last year, we reported on a Dutch proposal to launch so-called "Steve Jobs schools" for children, offering a peek at of Jobs' vision of how the iPad could help remake the educational experience.

Spiegel now follows up (via AppleInsider) with a new report discussing the country's plans to open 11 such schools this August.
Quote:
Some 1,000 children aged four to 12 will attend the schools, without notebooks, books or backpacks. Each of them, however, will have his or her own iPad.

There will be no blackboards, chalk or classrooms, homeroom teachers, formal classes, lesson plans, seating charts, pens, teachers teaching from the front of the room, schedules, parent-teacher meetings, grades, recess bells, fixed school days and school vacations. If a child would rather play on his or her iPad instead of learning, it'll be okay. And the children will choose what they wish to learn based on what they happen to be curious about.
The article highlights the flexible nature of the schools with a look at an upcoming school being prepared in the city of Breda. The school building itself will be open from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM every day of the year except Christmas and New Year's Day, with children free to come and go as they please as long as they are present during the core school day that runs from 10:30 AM to 3:00 PM.

Under the model of individualized instruction, students will learn through iPad apps at their own pace, with teachers serving as coaches to help them reach goals and advance to subsequent levels.
Quote:
As such, the school day never really ends. Pupils are welcome to keep working on their iPads at home, on weekends or on vacation. But as much as the program offers freedom and continuity, it also comes with a substantial monitoring component. The iPad keeps teachers and parents constantly informed about what children are doing, what they have learned and how they are progressing.
Teachers, children, and parents meet to discuss goals for each six-week period, setting up standards to help students gain the knowledge and skills to move on to the next level.

Dutch researcher Maurice de Hond, the man behind the initiative, believes that the number of schools should grow to at least forty next year, with the schools being publicly funded and open to all children and subsidies available to families unable to afford an iPad.

Article Link: Dutch Officials Set to Open 11 iPad-Only 'Steve Jobs Schools' for Children
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #2
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Well, why even bother? Just go all out and let the kids grade themselves. This WOULD NOT work over hear BTW. Just saying.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #3
daveheinzel
macrumors newbie

That's bold. Really curious to see how this turns out.
daveheinzel is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveheinzel View Post
Can you say "Angry Birds God?" These 4 year olds will rock dem birds like no other.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:36 AM   #5
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

From my experience "go at your own pace" schools just make people slack off and fall below average.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
Well, why even bother? Just go all out and let the kids grade themselves. This WOULD NOT work over hear BTW. Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
From my experience "go at your own pace" schools just make people slack off and fall below average.
could not agree more. There is a point where trying to be "too forward" thinking is actually backtracking....and this is it.
mattopotamus is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:38 AM   #7
farmermac
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't send my kids there. They get enough electronics time at home. I want a strong teacher presence to guide and help them learn not apps and games.
farmermac is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:38 AM   #8
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I was going to post some snarky comment, but then I saw the kid on the right.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #9
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes, some things do not scale well. The Dutch have the benefit of a smaller, tighter society. It could work quite well there.
ValSalva is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #10
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Don't believe everything you read, the initiative is from private people, Dutch authorities are strongly against this.

Last edited by JGRE; Jul 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
JGRE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:41 AM   #11
danjames99
macrumors member

And they will never be able to write legibly on paper or do math, likewise?

Great. This will be the generation in charge of my life when I'm old and fall and break my hip....
danjames99 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Skika
macrumors 68020

Now THIS is a progression in education.

Bravo
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

I worry about humanity

we have a generation that can't write a letter (but they text like crazy), and now this...
Tiger8 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You really think it wouldn't work?
It's already happening in the U.S. it's call homeschooling using computers instead of iPads, but that's gradually changing.
And no, students don't grade themselves. If they don't do it right, they will get bad grades. Actually, as soon as the tutor sees a student lacking, parents get notified.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:44 AM   #15
NoNothing
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to NoNothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveheinzel View Post
So am I as well. My guess is a few students will literally thrive in this environment but the majority will be greatly hindered as most children do need structure and direction. For those few with drive toward self starting or those with an inquisitive nature, I would expect the children to excel.

I hope they screen the children well to get the right ones in the program.
NoNothing is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:45 AM   #16
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

The good....speeds mental development. The bad...the "world" becomes an lcd device....AND...they discover Facebook for Kids.
SeattleMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:45 AM   #17
MacDaddy15
macrumors newbie

21st century learning

This is an early attempt at 21st century learning. Replace the teacher from his/her traditional role to that of a facilitator. There are many problems with this. This technology(idea) comes from college & industry. No one else is there, yet. For those with the drive(& money), it is great. However, not everyone is going to buy into this type of learning. People(children) still need to be lead. There is a need and reason for structure. 99% of current teachers in the US are not ready to teach in this format. Administrators are in the dark as well. There is no training as such, unless that individual goes out and pursues it himself/herself. Money is tight in schools. The current plan for most districts is BYOD. Yes, LAUSD recently purchased $30 million in Ipads for their schools. However, that is not the norm. Teacher grad schools are not teaching this to any great degree, either. Private schools can do what they want and they are the ones who are pushing forward. Many parents, students, and the public think that a smartphone is 21st century learning but that is not the case. Social media does not help in the learning process. 21st century, blended, and online learning came out of colleges & universities where these institutions have already been paid. So, it is up to the student to push themselves to get the grade. That is where is will stay, for the most part. IMHO.
MacDaddy15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:46 AM   #18
abhishake
macrumors regular

Won't happen in the USA for years to come.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:46 AM   #19
roasted
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
could not agree more. There is a point where trying to be "too forward" thinking is actually backtracking....and this is it.
As somebody who works in the technology side of school districts, I can say with absolute certainty that this comment quoted above nailed it 100%.
roasted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:46 AM   #20
bchery21
macrumors 6502

I imagine these school being shut down before the first school year ends.

How will this work?
bchery21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:46 AM   #21
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
The idea sounds pretty dumb to me.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:48 AM   #22
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

I would think a Steve Jobs school would involve a lot more acid.
Roessnakhan is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
Don't believe everything you read, the initiative is from private people, Dutch authorities are strongly against this.
Maybe because the Dutch press is busy reporting on German related news
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:49 AM   #24
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Yes, some things do not scale well. The Dutch have the benefit of a smaller, tighter society. It could work quite well there.
Yes, but our tight society does not allow such things without approval of Dutch government.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Piggie
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Now THIS is a progression in education.

Bravo
Till they lose their gadget and can't do anything without it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion