Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:58 AM   #1
UncleheFTy
macrumors member

Networking two Macs

I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro and I would love to be able to have these two machines talk to each other and automatically update each other when I logon. Is this possible?
UncleheFTy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:49 PM   #2
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502a

I presume you mean you want the computers to automatically sync data when you connect the laptop to your network, the way an iPhone syncs when connected to iTunes?

There are programs that do allow you to sync data on multiple Macs - you may be able to sync the contents of designated folders, iTunes and iPhoto libraries, calendars and contacts.... A quick web search will reveal a number of these programs.

Do any of these programs automatically detect when you connect a computer to a network and automatically starts the sync process? It's possible. If that's a feature you need, be sure it's on your shopping list.

There are also cloud-based solutions available that may or may not offer all the features you want, including iCloud and Dropbox. Using a combination of iCloud and Dropbox is a fairly common solution, as each does things the other doesn't. It's really a matter of what you need to sync, and how often.

There's a lot to be said for not syncing between two computers, as there will often be issues of which version of a particular file is the one you want to keep. If you're the only person using the computers and files, it's something you can manage. It gets much harder to manage when several people may be able to access and modify the same file. That's the point where it pays to move the data off of any one computer and put it onto a network server/cloud service. With just one copy in use, there's no issue as to which version is the most recent.
ApfelKuchen is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help