Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1
adiofm
macrumors newbie

AppleCare value gone down?

I purchased AppleCare when I bought my Macbook Retina, but decided that I don't actually want to activate it until I get to the end of the first year. I was trying to sell it for a significant discount (normally $349). No one seems interested. I mean I've had it up for a week. Am I wrong in assuming that it's worth over $200?

To clarify, I have it up for $210

[Removed the URL since that may not be allowed]

Last edited by adiofm; Jul 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Removed the URL since that may not be allowed
adiofm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
sonicrobby
macrumors 65816

If you buy it from apple directly I think its still $349, but other places such as ebay and B&H do have them for cheaper than apple

Misread the OP =P yeah some people are just skeptical about purchasing it second-hand. Wasnt there a way you could sell it back to apple?

Last edited by sonicrobby; Jul 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
sonicrobby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
maflynn

You're mostly competing against counterfeit applecare sellers. Those people who sell just the code (no box) at a steep discount.

If you can get your money back on the purchase that might be better then trying to sell it on ebay.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
adiofm
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
You're mostly competing against counterfeit applecare sellers. Those people who sell just the code (no box) at a steep discount.

If you can get your money back on the purchase that might be better then trying to sell it on ebay.
That makes sense, but mine is factory sealed... And I have it on there for $210!
adiofm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:29 PM   #5
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiofm View Post
That makes sense, but mine is factory sealed...
Money talks, many people are unaware of this little cottage industry, and for the most part it probably won't come back to haunt them either. Its only there's two registrations with the same serial number will apple contact the person asking for the box.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 01:10 AM   #6
SilverOath
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiofm View Post
I purchased AppleCare when I bought my Macbook Retina, but decided that I don't actually want to activate it until I get to the end of the first year. I was trying to sell it for a significant discount (normally $349). No one seems interested. I mean I've had it up for a week. Am I wrong in assuming that it's worth over $200?

To clarify, I have it up for $210

[Removed the URL since that may not be allowed]
I'm pretty sure you can return AppleCare at a pro rated return rate up until the 3rd year of expiration. So I'd assume you could also return and unopened unused AppleCare if you still have your receipt - I figure the worst case would be they just give you store credit which is still better than a 40% loss trying to sell it.
SilverOath is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
advice, applecare, selling