Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ABM1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new here. I've heard nothing but great things from people that own iphones. I didn't believe how good it was until I messed around with my roommates iphone 4S. Now I really want an AT&T unlocked 4S for T-mobile network. but buying it brand new is kind of expensive so I was looking on craigslist and did some research. most people are selling the unlocked iphone 4s after their contract expires. The most terrifying thing I heard was that someone buys a used iphone, puts in the T-mobile SIM, everything works and everybody's happy, until the seller decides to report it stolen couple weeks later.
I know that checking the IMEI number on iphoneox.com will tell you the status of the phone. My question is, what do I need to do to have the seller transfer ownership to me when i buy it so I can make sure nobody can report the phone lost or stolen because I have ownership? second question is, what about AppleID? I have no idea how that works. does anybody here have this buying used iphone experience before? any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance. If you can think of any tips towards buying a used iphone 4S, please comment. Thanks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I know that checking the IMEI number on iphoneox.com will tell you the status of the phone. My question is, what do I need to do to have the seller transfer ownership to me when i buy it so I can make sure nobody can report the phone lost or stolen because I have ownership? second question is, what about AppleID? I have no idea how that works. does anybody here have this buying used iphone experience before? any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance. If you can think of any tips towards buying a used iphone 4S, please comment. Thanks.

Not much you can do but ask a lot of questions and trust your instincts.
There's no such thing as transferring ownership with a cellphone. Anyone can sell a stolen iphone and then a few days later when the owner figures he's not getting it back he can report it stolen and have the carrier blacklist it. And there's nothing you can do to make sure that doesn't happen when you buy used. Buy from someone you personally know and trust to avoid that or spend the extra money for the peace of mind and buy brand new.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
If you are really worried, buy a new one.

However, you can choose to take over someone's contract as well, this way, you will be the person with the contract + the registered IMEI with the account, so the previous person will have no authority to report the phone stolen, as it is your account and IMEI now.

However, I think you would have a hard time finding someone selling phone + contract at the same time. worth a shot tho.

xtrips

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2008
Transferring owwnership

Hello,

I am going to give my old iPhone 4 to my brother and therefore I restored it to start reinstalling all the apps under his Apple ID I just created.
The thing is when the iPhone booted up with the new IOS it asked specifically for my Apple ID in order to activate it.
So I did, and then registered it under his account.
But I don't want this to happen to him next time he decides to reinstall it.
So how can I transfer the ownership of that iPhone, for good?

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
Hello,

I am going to give my old iPhone 4 to my brother and therefore I restored it to start reinstalling all the apps under his Apple ID I just created.
The thing is when the iPhone booted up with the new IOS it asked specifically for my Apple ID in order to activate it.
So I did, and then registered it under his account.
But I don't want this to happen to him next time he decides to reinstall it.
So how can I transfer the ownership of that iPhone, for good?

It really shouldn't if you did an Erase All Content and Settings. It should allow you to enter a new Apple ID upon new activation...

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
It really shouldn't if you did an Erase All Content and Settings. It should allow you to enter a new Apple ID upon new activation...

so shouldn't it really put all ownership to you if you bought the phone, earased all content and settings. If your info is on the phone how could someone report it stolen after? i would assume it would tie your apple id to the new imei number, yeah?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.