Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
2013 MBA (i5). Encoding on Handbrake and I still haven't heard the fans. This computer is ridiculously quiet. It is definitely getting warm in the upper left, but the computer itself is quiet as a mouse. Pretty amazing.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I've noticed this as well, I've only been able to get the fans to fire up while playing games. With everything else the computer's completely silent.

tbolt11

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
I hope the i7 is the same way or similar.

It seems the i7 has a bit more power for when you need it but might get hotter/louder quicker as a result. I want to play some light games without it being loud and hot.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
I keep listening for the fans to come on. I 'think' I hear them running and then I have to put the computer up to my ear to listen. There are no fans running. I'm hearing ghost fans because of all the chatter on this forum. :eek:

:p

i7 BTW. My 2010 was so quiet I didn't think it had fans until they actually ran one time. My 2011's fans run a lot. A lot warmer than the 2010 as well. The new 2013 i7 seems to be very similar in heat and fan as the 2010.

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
I keep listening for the fans to come on. I 'think' I hear them running and then I have to put the computer up to my ear to listen. There are no fans running. I'm hearing ghost fans because of all the chatter on this forum. :eek:

This is my experience with my new i7 as well.

i7 BTW. My 2010 was so quiet I didn't think it had fans until they actually ran one time. My 2011's fans run a lot. A lot warmer than the 2010 as well. The new 2013 i7 seems to be very similar in heat and fan as the 2010.

Funny, my 2010's fan came on all the time. Especially with youtube or other web-based video.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Indeed. One must thank the good guys at Intel for their ULV processors and the good guys at Apple for their asymmetrical fans. :)

The fan could be a bicycle wheel with playing cards in the spokes and we'd never know it on the new Airs! :p

Stealth777

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Not quiet for everything!

I noticed the same thing too. Runs totally cool to the touch streaming videos and normal web surfing etc. However, I loaded COD 4 on it and within 3-4 minutes the fans were at TOP rpm and very loud. This machine gets pretty hot in the top left hand corner. On a positive note, the underside got warm but not too bad.

13" rMBP on the other hand runs COD with much less fan noise, stays cooler and cools down faster but is hotter in general tasks like streaming and surfing.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
I noticed the same thing too. Runs totally cool to the touch streaming videos and normal web surfing etc. However, I loaded COD 4 on it and within 3-4 minutes the fans were at TOP rpm and very loud. This machine gets pretty hot in the top left hand corner. On a positive note, the underside got warm but not too bad.

13" rMBP on the other hand runs COD with much less fan noise, stays cooler and cools down faster but is hotter in general tasks like streaming and surfing.

I probably would've splurged for the 13" rMBP if they had the Haswells. I'll wait until those are released and then make a decision. How's the weight difference to you?

iloveair

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2013
I have the i7 and have never heard the fan come on or get hot. The MBA is a piece of art.

Stealth777

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Weight is a little noticeable

I probably would've splurged for the 13" rMBP if they had the Haswells. I'll wait until those are released and then make a decision. How's the weight difference to you?

You notice it a bit. I prefer the form factor, weight of the Air. The Air is a very nice machine and so is the retina. They each have their strengths and I really can't decide which one to keep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.