Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stryker412

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Hello all, I have a bunch of emacs and old iMacs that I need to securely wipe before sending out to recycling. I'm new to the Mac environment and quickly discovered I could not boot to USB after I created a DBAN disk. All of the emacs do not have an optical drive to use a Tiger/Leopard disc from either. Can anyone recommend a quick way to securely wipe these computers without taking the HDDs out?

Last edited:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Hello all, I have a bunch of emacs and old iMacs that I need to securely wipe before sending out to recycling. I'm new to the Mac environment and quickly discovered I could not boot to USB after I created a DBAN disk. All of the emacs do not have an optical drive to use a Tiger/Leopard disc from either. Can anyone recommend a quick way to securely wipe these computers without taking the HDDs out?

Target Disk Mode.

Stryker412

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I was able to find a firewire external HDD! Can anyone give some directions now on how I can create a bootable (I'm guessing) Leopard install so that I can use the disk utility to wipe these machines?

edit: Nevermind I completely misunderstood the first time what you were trying to tell me. I got it now, and am currently wiping the first computer. However, I would love to hear ideas on how to wipe more at one time if you have any. We have about 30 machines that need to be wiped so doing one at a time via Firewire will take a weeks.

Last edited:

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Then its going to be tough because if the macs don't like the usb stick then there not going to like a usb disc drive either. It might just be easier to remove the hard drives from the e-macs seeing as your just recycling them. Then you could just burn or smash up the drives.

Edit: Thanks for editing your post after I posted, you need another working mac for target disc mode. And your need a working mac and disc drive to install leopard on a external hard drive.

Last edited:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Then its going to be tough because if the macs don't like the usb stick then there not going to like a usb disc drive either. It might just be easier to remove the hard drives from the e-macs seeing as your just recycling them. Then you could just burn or smash up the drives.

Edit: Thanks for editing your post after I posted, you need another working mac for target disc mode. And your need a working mac and disc drive to install leopard on a external hard drive.

I 2nd this, better yet the 4th of july is tommorow and emacs blow up interesting when you dowse them in gas and shoot em with a .22

Stryker412

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Except we get paid for recycling them... :) It's not much but it's more money for our school.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
We have about 30 machines that need to be wiped so doing one at a time via Firewire will take a weeks.
If you have enough Firewire cables, put half of them in Target Disk Mode. After the first batch of machines is wiped, again wipe half the remaining machines. It'll still take a couple of days, but won't be as bad as doing one at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.