Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Hello
I wanted to ask, is a new apple tv coming out soon since u havent seen any rumors. Is it expected to come out or not?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I think the next Apple TV they release will be the long rumored iTV, and I dont think that will be until the end of next year. But to specifically answer your question, I, personally, have not heard anything about an Apple TV refresh. Then again, I dont think anyone really knew about the TC and Airport Express freshes at WWDC. So I honestly have no idea one way or the other

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
IMO, there is no need for an aTV hardware refresh. It looks like Apple is slowly (read that as at glacially) laying a foundation for the future with apps like HBOGo, ESPN and the rumored Time Warner Cable app and possible some rudimentary games. I think the current aTV hardware capability is more than enough to handle these types of app additions for a long time to come. If anything were to be added it would be ac wifi capability and it's debatable if that is even needed.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
It just refreshed a few months ago. even though the specs are exactly the same, they had to completely retool their whole production line.
not something you would do if you're planning on releasing a new model in 6 months.
and since it's the same specs, the new model won't generate extra sales like a new model of computer that comes out every 6 months would.

If anything were to be added it would be ac wifi capability and it's debatable if that is even needed.

802.11N wifi is far faster than most home internet connections.
and also well above the 1-2MB/s that apple's 1080 media needs.

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
I really doubt it. There haven't been any rumors or rumblings that tend to precede a new product.

Most changes, I think, will be software -- either updates to the user interface or the addition of new content.

I think the only hardware change might be the introduction of AC connectivity as Apple rolls all of its hardware over to the new standard. However, they don't seem to be in a hurry, as the only AC-capable devices are the new Airs and Airports and the upcoming Pro. Apple didn't bother refreshing the Airport Express. Maybe it will just be a quite update sometime later this year.

Not to get off on too much of a tangent, but I'm not really sure where the Apple TV goes from here, from a hardware perspective. Apple won't return to on-board storage like the first-gen devices. An Apple-branded television is possible, but not a definite. And Apple seems to show little interest in turning the box into a gaming device.

Personally, I'm really happy with it, but as a cord-cutter, I wish more content would appear at a faster rate. Getting HBO Go and Watch ESPN were huge.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Personally, I'm really happy with it, but as a cord-cutter, I wish more content would appear at a faster rate. Getting HBO Go and Watch ESPN were huge.

But you can't be a cord-cutter and use those (technically).

pixpixpix

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
left coast
More apps

Yes they need more apps, many more apps to make more content easily available.

I prefer AppleTV to the builtin Samsung apps or DirectTV on-demand because the interface and buffering are so much better

applemike68

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
But what about the new wifi AC...Wouldn't apple at least update to the new AC standard since they did it with the routers.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
Walmart

Currently Walmart is out of stock online and all stores in my state (nc). It's probably wishful thinking but im hoping it means a refresh soon.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Currently Walmart is out of stock online and all stores in my state (nc). It's probably wishful thinking but im hoping it means a refresh soon.

That probably just means they're out of stock for the moment. There has been no indication of stores being out of stock across the country to indicate a change coming.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I think the only hardware change might be the introduction of AC connectivity as Apple rolls all of its hardware over to the new standard. However, they don't seem to be in a hurry, as the only AC-capable devices are the new Airs and Airports and the upcoming Pro. Apple didn't bother refreshing the Airport Express. Maybe it will just be a quite update sometime later this year..

Updating the Express to AC might be easier said than done. The Extreme and Time Capsule needed a taller design to accommodate the new antenna.

----------

It's possible that they might. However if they're working on the rumored iTV, they may or may not release a new set top box too.

I can absolutely guarantee they are not working on anything called an iTV. ;)*

* iTV was originally what the AppleTV was going to be called. Apple was forced to change the name after the UK network "ITV" threatened to sue.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I can absolutely guarantee they are not working on anything called an iTV. ;)*

* iTV was originally what the AppleTV was going to be called. Apple was forced to change it after the UK network "ITV" threatened to sue.

Yeah, I know. But its easer to use iTV to distinguish what we're talking about from the set top box, ATV, in discussions.

The iTV in the UK however, doesn't necessarily mean Apple won't use iTV in the US and elsewhere and give it another name in the UK. They do that now with either the iPhone or iPad in other countries, I think*.

*I'm pulling that from memory without searching it first and I could be very wrong.

Edit: I searched and it was Brazil with the 'iphone' (not iPhone) and I think China too.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzing...-officially-loses-iphone-trademark-in-brazil/

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've been waiting to get an AppleTV when the next version came out but I think I'm just going to get the current one.

All I have is Netflix and watching it through a 4 year old Blu-ray player is not the best option. I figure I can get the current one and if a new one does come out just sell it on eBay and end up losing maybe $20.

DustyLBottoms

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2009
It just refreshed a few months ago. even though the specs are exactly the same, they had to completely retool their whole production line.
not something you would do if you're planning on releasing a new model in 6 months.

*cough* iPad 4 *cough*

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
*cough* iPad 4 *cough*

That was more about bringing their Flagship iPad inline with their iPhone 5. Traditionally the iPad got the processor upgrade before the iPhone, but in this case the iPad 3 only got an A5X. Further, the iPad 3's graphics are a bit under powered (I know, I have one). Again, this brought the iPad inline with the same graphics chips as the iPhone 5. Further, the Lightning adapter is the new flagship connector which the iPad 3 did not have. Now the only devices Apple sells with a 30 pin connector are their "older" devices (iPad 2, iphone 4/4S). All of their flagship devices use their new and "improved" connector.

Also, it made no sense for Apple to keep releasing the iPad RIGHT after the Xmas holiday. Positioning itself before Xmas is the smart place for it to be.

Notice that Apple DID NOT release the iPad 5, six months after the iPad 4 did they?

Anyone with a reasonable understanding of business understands Apple's logic on that switch.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
sites want cash

If you just watched one movie through any online..apple tv, samsung, sony
per week, it would be $140 per month as most of the sites want $5 per movie.
That is what I pay for fiberoptic cable...high speed internet + unlimited land line phone + over 300 stations that includes Showtime. I am not including Netflicks but the other sites all want money...the normal charge is $4.95.
Of all technologies this is the biggest ripoff so far.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
That is what I pay for fiberoptic cable...high speed internet + unlimited land line phone + over 300 stations that includes Showtime. I am not including Netflicks but the other sites all want money...the normal charge is $4.95.

Not sure I understand your math. Wouldn't just watching 1 movie/wk @ $5/movie be $20/mo? :confused:

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012

I get your point, however you are not taking in consideration people's lifestyle. For many these days, they work long hours and perhaps have as little as one or two hours a day to consume television content. Myself, I find most of the content on Netflix to meet my needs, but I do follow 2 TV shows regularly. If there is 1 new episode per week, that makes 8 episodes a month, which equals roughly $8-10 when purchased/rented using the a la carte method found on iTunes, Roku, Amazon, etc. So at the end of month, I pay Netflix $8 + $10 max for TV. That comes to $18. Not sure where you got your prices from. Yes, of course it will be more if I must watch EVERY new movie that comes out, but you'll be doing that too since HBO, the Movie Network and other stations don't show the absolutely latest releases unless it's using a Pay-per-View/A La Carte model.

Most importantly, I pay for what I WANT to watch. Having 300 channels is useless to me as I don't wanna watch reality tv marathons or re-runs of sitcoms of the past decade. Rather than channel surfing and having the stations tell me what I want to watch, I decide and use any other free time to browse the web (News, Youtube, Podcasts, Macrumors, etc). How many times have you tuned into Two And A Half Men to find the same episode playing. There is something called surplus utility in economics and cable providers use this concept to fool consumers into thinking they need 300 channels when they really don't.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I think the next Apple TV they release will be the long rumored iTV, and I dont think that will be until the end of next year. But to specifically answer your question, I, personally, have not heard anything about an Apple TV refresh. Then again, I dont think anyone really knew about the TC and Airport Express freshes at WWDC. So I honestly have no idea one way or the other

I have no confidence in an iTV device. First off, it doesn't need to exist. Noone's made the case yet that it would give you a better experience than the current ATV3 connected to your own HDTV. All the content deals that would make or break an iTV could also come to market for the existing ATV3 (just like they did with HBO Go and ESPN).

Secondly, if Apple releases some uber-TV that's 4K/3D/240 Hz, in a 46" OLED screen that retails for $9,000, what good does that do for those of us who would want to use such a TV as the centerpiece of our home theater setup?It's too small for such a use. Additionally, what 4K content would you watch on it? Sony's new 4K server that retails $699 is only compatible with Sony 4K TVs, noone else's, so that's out. for Conversely, if Apple builds a 65" version with the same specs, they'd be charging over $15,000 for it.

Who'd buy that in today's economy?

----------

But you can't be a cord-cutter and use those (technically).

Yeah, those two help noone cut the cord.

----------

Keep an eye on Best Buy too. The last major ATV refresh was preceded by a send back of the ATV2 shortly before (read weeks) the ATV3 came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.