Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Samsung is prepping an update to its popular Galaxy Note phablet line that will launch later this year, and a new report suggests the Galaxy Note III will be an absolute powerhouse. A report from The Korea Economic Daily newspaper on Wednesday says that the Note III will feature an industry-leading 3GB of RAM when it debuts this fall. The same report claims LG’s next-generation Optimus G2 will feature 3GB of RAM as well. Where the Galaxy Note III is concerned, the 3GB of memory combines with earlier reported specs to paint a picture of a remarkably powerful handset — other rumored specs include a 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor, a 6-inch full HD Super AMOLED display, a 13-megapixel camera, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and improved S Pen support. Samsung is reportedly planning a September 4th press conference to debut the new Galaxy Note III.

Source: bgr

Talk amongst yourselves.:cool:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Sounds good but I'm skeptical. I've read conflicting reports that claim Samsung insiders vow it won't be any more than .2 inches bigger than the Note 2. They would basically kill off the Mega if they decided to go with a 6 incher and what sense does that make?

So if 1 spec is questionable .......

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
That sounds crazy.
Although my Note II is more powerful than anything I need at the moment, I'll definitely get one of these when it comes out.

Love the Note series.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Sounds pretty hot, obviously. I'll be curious to see/feel how the 6 inch format will work. So far I'm finding that 5.5" is quite perfect, and there are times when I think that it's right on the edge of what's comfortable to use. No point in speculating though - only actual hands-on experience with the thing will tell.

Meanwhile, I just hope that they won't forget to put equal effort on the software side of things. "Improved S-pen support" sounds swell, but S-note still looks like crap and is very clunky to use. For instance the S-pen + S-note is in theory perfect for someone (like me) who writes sheet music, but getting a sheet music template into S-note is a real chore. I hope they take the direction of not only improving the technical possibilities, but also of using those possibilities to their full potential.

Oh, and for the love of God, get more apps into the Multi Window feature.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Sounds good but I'm skeptical. I've read conflicting reports that claim Samsung insiders vow it won't be any more than .2 inches bigger than the Note 2. They would basically kill off the Mega if they decided to go with a 6 incher and what sense does that make?

Doubt it. The Mega is a dual core, 1.5gb ram, 8mp, 720p device with no S Pen. Besides possible screen size, the Mega and Note III aren't even in the same category.

I don't think Samsungs worried about killing off one of their own devices when they release so many variants of the same device anyway (S4).

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

The rumored Note 3 and Mega 6.3 aren't in the same class of device. The Mega is essentially using last years tech and is appears like a half step back from the Note II (lower pixel density, no S-Pen on a bigger device)--basically a midrange device.

The specs for the upcoming Note III certainly look impressive. But after using a Note II for a few months, I decided that size device is just a bit to big for my liking for a phone--my HTC One hits the sweet spot dead on, IMO.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Multitasking. Multiple apps open in different windows can be a resource hog.

3gb worth though ? How much multi tasking do people do? I have 9 apps open / backgrounded most times and have over 1gb free of my 2gb .. Hard to envision how in 4 months time needing an extra 1gb to my already 1gb unused ram....

I realise Touchwiz uses more memory than Sense (the S4 I had routinely used between 1.2-1.5 GB) but still an extra GB really needed at ths present juncture?

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
Doubt it. The Mega is a dual core, 1.5gb ram, 8mp, 720p device with no S Pen. Besides possible screen size, the Mega and Note III aren't even in the same category.

I don't think Samsungs worried about killing off one of their own devices when they release so many variants of the same device anyway (S4).

And this is exactly how the average user will view it

" Doubt it. The Mega with possible screen size, the Mega and Note III are in the same category"

And that's what it really boils down to with Samsung.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
3gb worth though ? How much multi tasking do people do? I have 9 apps open / backgrounded most times and have over 1gb free of my 2gb .. Hard to envision how in 4 months time needing an extra 1gb to my already 1gb unused ram....

I realise Touchwiz uses more memory than Sense (the S4 I had routinely used between 1.2-1.5 GB) but still an extra GB really needed at ths present juncture?

This may be slightly niche to the average user, but as someone who records a lot of music ideas on my phone, I'll take every GB of ram I can get. Especially now that some decent multitrack recording apps are finally starting to show up on Android.

Another thing I'd really like is to be able to record slow-mo video in higher resolution, which should be quite a resource hog as well. I didn't even think about it when I got my Note 2, but that feature has come to be one of my favourites with this phone.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
And this is exactly how the average user will view it

" Doubt it. The Mega with possible screen size, the Mega and Note III are in the same category"

And that's what it really boils down to with Samsung.

The average user isn't even looking at phones this size. Any who are can spend 30 seconds with the phones and see ones lacking a pen and the features that come with it. Spend a couple minutes and they'll notice the camera, screen, processor, ram, etc. Screen size wise, you could say it's in the same category but that's about it.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

Because Samsung has the money, and they can. I wonder if the 2 recently launched mega series phones were tests to see which size caught on. Perhaps the more successful of the two becomes the size of the Note 3?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
These are impressive specs, but completely unnecessary. But smartphones have hit a plateau, so it's kind of expected. Every modern smartphone has specs in this ballpark. I decided on the HTC One in the mean time, until the Note 3 arrives.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
If it comes equipped with the hi-res 6" display and mega battery that's rumored, that alone will tick the boxes for me. I'm extremely happy with my S4, yet be it a laptop or smartphone I always make the most of screen real estate and prefer them large. At 6'3" it would fit in my hands quite nicely.

Next year will prove even better as Samsung just bought a big slice of one of the largest Carbon Fiber Manufacturer's in the business. Samsung has already come out publicly with a statement saying they will use CF in place of their current materials. Now that sounds exceptionally great.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Who would have think just over a year ago, tech blogs would be chomping at the bit to get every bit of rumor-pie they could regarding Samsung's upcoming models. That has always been reserved for iDevices.

Most recent rumor I have seen regarding the Note III said Samsung and LG were working as fast as possible to see who gets a flexible screen to market first. The same article said Samsung plans to with the Note III in Sept. (I'll believe it when I see it though).

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
The average user isn't even looking at phones this size. Any who are can spend 30 seconds with the phones and see ones lacking a pen and the features that come with it. Spend a couple minutes and they'll notice the camera, screen, processor, ram, etc. Screen size wise, you could say it's in the same category but that's about it.

I disagree. I would say that is exactly what they're looking at ... Screen size

I have a Co worker who is definitely an average user who knows nothing or couldn't care less about the inner workings of androids and their spec sheets. He brought the Note 2 strictly based on screen size and he was coming from an iPhone 4s. Knows nothing about S features or quad cores but he's loving the huge screen and can't stop playing with his device. I wish he would stop asking me how to do this or that though lol.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Amazing specs but are there any android applications that really require such specs ?

Still, it's always better to have more than less.

Even if they put 5GB RAM in there I'm still not sure I would like it, because TW takes too much of that RAM.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I disagree. I would say that is exactly what they're looking at ... Screen size

I have a Co worker who is definitely an average user who knows nothing or couldn't care less about the inner workings of androids and their spec sheets. He brought the Note 2 strictly based on screen size and he was coming from an iPhone 4s. Knows nothing about S features or quad cores but he's loving the huge screen and can't stop playing with his device. I wish he would stop asking me how to do this or that though lol.

I'm sorry but he's not an average user. He's just clueless. If you handed him a Mega and a Note III, you're telling me he wouldn't know one has a stylus attached and the other does not?

And I highly doubt Samsung is worried about the Note III eating into the Mega's sales.

Last edited:

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I highly doubt Samsung is worried about the Note III eating into the Mega's sales.

I agree. For research purposes regarding screen size, that is the Mega's role.

Having had the original Note for a long time, I can't wait for the Note 3 to come out.

For those that say 3gb of ram is overkill, in a short time, we will hear people whining that their device "only" has 3gbs. :rolleyes:

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I can assume that it will maintain the footprint of the Note II but with minimised bezels to accommodate the larger screen while retaining similar dimensions.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I'm sorry but he's not an average user. He's just clueless. If you handed him a Mega and a Note III, you're telling me he wouldn't know one has a stylus attached and the other does not?

And I highly doubt Samsung is worried about the Note III eating into the Mega's sales.

This is no lie. When he got his upgrade they gave him a free speck case and I specifically remember asking him if he knew it came with a stylus. His exact words. "I don't really care about any of that"

Mavericks

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
If you're okay with a device with a lot of lags, then I say go for it (Android)!

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
If you're okay with a device with a lot of lags, then I say go for it (Android)!

Did you even test Android on latest devices?
I would be curious to see iOS 7 on various iphones, i am sure some will be laggy as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.