Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Seeds OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F17 to Developers

Apple today seeded build 12F17 of OS X 10.8.5 to developers, offering a third version of the next Mac operating system update for testing. The release comes one week after the appearance of the previous beta of OS X 10.8.5, build 12F13.

As with previous betas, the update comes with no known issues and can be downloaded via Apple's Developer Page or through the software update tool in the Mac App Store.

Testing on OS X 10.8.5 comes as Apple is also continuing work on its next major version of OS X, Mavericks. Apple has already seeded two developer previews of OS X Mavericks and has announced that it will launch the new operating system to the public this fall.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F17 to Developers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
LorenzMeir
macrumors 6502

Can any one explain to me why they are still doing this instead of putting extra work in Mavericks? Not that it bothers me, just asking
LorenzMeir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzMeir View Post
Can any one explain to me why they are still doing this instead of putting extra work in Mavericks? Not that it bothers me, just asking
Mavericks isn't coming for months, and there are things in Mountain Lion that need fixing.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:19 PM   #4
laflores
macrumors regular

Quote:
Because otherwise, people would start crying because "apple doesn't care about mountain lion any more" and some people will complain that mavericks is a piece of **** and they rather stay with snow leopard...
laflores is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
beelzebubba
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Because many people still run ML and will even after Mavericks comes out. ML will likely be the end of the line for some older Macs and Apple has done fairly well in supporting legacy machines even past the five year end of life.
beelzebubba is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:25 PM   #6
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Good to hear those developer seeds coming out with regularity. Reassuring to know APPLE is on the ball with this.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Gonna miss those cats when they're gone.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
ogee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by laflores View Post
Because otherwise, people would start crying because "apple doesn't care about mountain lion any more" and some people will complain that mavericks is a piece of **** and they rather stay with snow leopard...
Snow leopard...and what is wrong with Panther ????

ogee is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
darkknight14
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Gonna miss those cats when they're gone.
Me too, every time I look at that new wave background it makes me want to go for a p***
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogee View Post
...and what is wrong with Panther?
He ate my socks. Holy, sock eating panther!

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:30 PM   #11
mstrshikadance
macrumors newbie

(not trolling)

first time that safari has ever been snappier for me....running rMBP.....but it might also just be because safari in mavs is horrible
mstrshikadance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:13 PM   #12
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrshikadance View Post
(not trolling)

first time that safari has ever been snappier for me....running rMBP.....but it might also just be because safari in mavs is horrible
Are you kidding me? Safari 7.0 finally solves the memory issue which was introduced in 5.1 where when you open many tabs, web process just crashes. 7.0 does not have that, the single most annoying Safari bug in 2 years being solved finally.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:14 PM   #13
rdlink
macrumors 68000

Tiny update. Took about 30 seconds to install over the last seed.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:16 PM   #14
vindictum
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrshikadance View Post
(not trolling)

Well, I have rMBP too, and Safari is much much better in Mavericks.... nearly butter-smooth
vindictum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:22 PM   #15
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebubba View Post
Because many people still run ML and will even after Mavericks comes out. ML will likely be the end of the line for some older Macs and Apple has done fairly well in supporting legacy machines even past the five year end of life.
You do know that Mavs will run any Macs that also run ML, right? ML isn't the end of the line for anything.
MikhailT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 02:37 AM   #16
beelzebubba
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post
You do know that Mavs will run any Macs that also run ML, right? ML isn't the end of the line for anything.
A compatibility matrix hasn't been released yet though there is an understanding that most machines that will run ML will run Mavericks. Requirement of the "advanced GPU" could be one of the determining factors. There has been no official word that everything that runs ML will run Mavericks.

The post that somehow the resources devoted to 10.8.5 impede Mavericks is specious from the get go. Throwing resources or developers at a release doesn't automatically mean it will develop quicker. The 10.8.4 machines still have issues that need to be resolved. If one looks at the release history, particularly when there is a large upgrade they would find a pattern similar to the release pattern currently in use. The release schedule shouldn't be news to anyone that's been developing for or even following the platform for any length of time.
beelzebubba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 02:41 AM   #17
katewes
macrumors 6502

For the latest beta seed, can someone, who has used it, find it within themselves to just stated the speed of shutdown in seconds, with no further comment, either positive or negative. i.e. no comments such as, "Why are people upset with slow shutdown times". Just empirically state the shutdown time, in seconds, period. Full stop. No comment.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindictum View Post
Well, I have rMBP too, and Safari is much much better in Mavericks.... nearly butter-smooth
As a Chrome user, it'll have to be snappier than Chrome to tempt me away.
katewes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:43 AM   #18
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by katewes View Post
For the latest beta seed, can someone, who has used it, find it within themselves to just stated the speed of shutdown in seconds, with no further comment, either positive or negative. i.e. no comments such as, "Why are people upset with slow shutdown times". Just empirically state the shutdown time, in seconds, period. Full stop. No comment.
No change in 10.8.5 and 10.9 DP 2
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:57 AM   #19
Kariya
macrumors 68000

Is Aperture broken for anyone else in this seed?
Kariya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 07:23 AM   #20
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

So far I haven't noticed any changes with this build. Yet.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 07:35 AM   #21
vindictum
macrumors member

Quote:

----------

How about your curiosity? :-P Use it and see for yourself
vindictum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 08:16 AM   #22
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Chrome on Mac is never as snappy as Safari. Safari is the best coded browser on Mac in terms of speed.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:17 AM   #23
DJJAZZYJET
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
Chrome on Mac is never as snappy as Safari. Safari is the best coded browser on Mac in terms of speed.
+1,

I love safari for Mac. I love google chrome for windows.
DJJAZZYJET is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:40 PM   #24
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJAZZYJET View Post
+1,

I love safari for Mac. I love google chrome for windows.
Chrome remains terrible for me on my 15" rMBP; the scrolling is nowhere near smooth, whereas Safari is excellent.

There are couple little things I do miss from Chrome, notably favicons on the tabs for easy identification and the tiny fact that when closing a lot of tabs, chrome doesn't resize them until you mouse away from the tab area so the targets you may be trying to click aren't moving.

Last edited by fivedots; Jul 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:57 PM   #25
gwang73
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kariya View Post
Is Aperture broken for anyone else in this seed?
Aperture v3.4.5 is working fine for me. What's broken for you?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion