Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
4JNA
macrumors 68000

EGYPT. it's the P in the name. and maybe the R, and possibly the S...

just wondering why in a 'PRSI' forum, and there is no mention of EGYPT.

nothing against the other repressed segments of society, but this seems like a big deal. just my two cents.

Last edited by 4JNA; Jul 3, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
4JNA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
just wondering why there in a 'PRSI' forum, and there is no mention of EGYPT.

nothing against the other repressed segments of society, but this seems like a big deal. just my two cents.
Since you brought up Egypt...is there something you would like to say to start the thread...or are you wondering why no one else has brought up the topic?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:44 PM   #3
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Since you brought up Egypt...is there something you would like to say to start the thread...or are you wondering why no one else has brought up the topic?
yes. and yes. it seems like a big deal. i don't live there, but have friends who do, and it will have an impact on the world economy.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:46 PM   #4
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Suggest starting an appropriately titled thread and you'll get participants.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:47 PM   #5
4JNA
macrumors 68000

QUOTE=smithrh;17530035]Suggest starting an appropriately titled thread and you'll get participants.[/QUOTE]

such as... ?

so, added EGPYT to the title. hope it helps.

Last edited by 4JNA; Jul 3, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
4JNA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
just wondering why there in a 'PRSI' forum, and there is no mention of EGYPT.

Comes down pretty much to vested interest. Everything going on there is internal to Egypt, and doesn't have much repercussions outside of the closing of embassies. Where it would 'start' to get messy is when they open the border to Gaza. But then again, that all goes back to the Middle East spat that's been going on for 60 years.

Other than that, there just isn't much vested interest in what is going on internal to Egypt. If it spreads again (read: another Arab Spring), then you'll see more traction.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:53 PM   #7
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Comes down pretty much to vested interest. Everything going on there is internal to Egypt, and doesn't have much repercussions outside of the closing of embassies. Where it would 'start' to get messy is when they open the border to Gaza. But then again, that all goes back to the Middle East spat that's been going on for 60 years.

Other than that, there just isn't much vested interest in what is going on internal to Egypt. If it spreads again (read: another Arab Spring), then you'll see more traction.

BL.
i would normally agree, but this will have an impact on oil prices, manufacturing imports and exports, and the world in general.

this is a big deal in the world economy. no matter your country of origin.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
smithrh
macrumors 68020

I opened a thread for this.

I'm not in favor of indecipherable thread titles...

As far as *why* no one has started anything before this, it's a holiday weekend in the US, I'm sure that plays a role.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:56 PM   #9
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
i would normally agree, but this will have an impact on oil prices, manufacturing imports and exports, and the world in general.

this is a big deal in the world economy. no matter your country of origin.
Oil prices? the US exports the most amount of oil, most of our imports come from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, and Kuwait. Egypt is at least a distant 6th.

Perhaps listing what imports and exports Egypt has that will gravely affect the world economy, and we'll see. But there isn't much that everyone is really aware of.

If anything, this uprising has killed one of, if not their biggest import: tourism.

BL.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
dukebound85
macrumors P6

not in the US so doesn't matter
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:57 PM   #11
4JNA
macrumors 68000

agreed. my bad, i'm new here.

tried adding a country to the title. guess we'll see where it goes.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:57 PM   #12
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Oil prices? the US exports the most amount of oil, most of our imports come from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, and Kuwait. Egypt is at least a distant 6th.

Perhaps listing what imports and exports Egypt has that will gravely affect the world economy, and we'll see. But there isn't much that everyone is really aware of.

If anything, this uprising has killed one of, if not their biggest import: tourism.

BL.
Egypt controls the Suez canal, which is pretty important for oil transport
dukebound85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #13
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Quote:
agreed. my bad, i'm new here.

tried adding a country to the title. guess we'll see where it goes.
Early 2006 join date... You're not exactly "new" at this point!

I asked the mods to close my other thread.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:04 PM   #14
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Oil prices? ... Egypt is at least a distant 6th.
and yet today, a 1/2 day no less in the US, the price of oil went up 1.5% with no other changes in the other '5' you mentioned.

this will have a bad impact on the world economy. no matter the sector you follow.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
You're not exactly "new" at this point!
new to this crazy flow of ideas...

didn't mean to have anything closed, just a watcher of the world. it all goes around and comes around at this point.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:07 PM   #15
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
and yet today, a 1/2 day no less in the US, the price of oil went up 1.5% with no other changes in the other '5' you mentioned.

this will have a bad impact on the world economy. no matter the sector you follow.
And just how are you so sure that this is related to Egypt, and not normal adjustments in gas prices? They've been fluctuating around that same percentage for the past few weeks.

You have correlation, but no causation.

BL.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:14 PM   #16
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
And just how are you so sure that this is related to Egypt, and not normal adjustments in gas prices? They've been fluctuating around that same percentage for the past few weeks.

BL.
again, only the price changed in any meaningful way in Egypt, and the price of gas follows oil/crude. not the other way around.

the spread between brent and wti has dropped to the lowest level in several years.

this all means that something big happened, the world of oil followers is worried. it all mean bad things for anyone with any interest in money tied to the market or the price of goods.

everything gets more expensive as a result of this.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:24 PM   #17
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:

BL.
Oddly enough, the BBC seems pretty confident: Egypt unrest pushes the price of oil to a 14-month high
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:31 PM   #18
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:

BL.
Crude has shot up about 10 dollars a barrel in the last week. This is largely believed to be a result of Egypt's situation. What fluctuation do you speak of?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:39 PM   #19
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
Oddly enough, the BBC seems pretty confident: "Egypt unrest pushes the price of oil to a 14-month high"
can i just add, i LOVE this part of the forum, i read every thread, i have a sister in law with a same sex partner who cheered a lot at the recent change in the world, a brother in law who thought Romney should have won, and kids who think 'Obama' is the shizzle.

i have no agenda. who ever has the best idea wins.

the rise in oil will result in higher cost for everyone.

oil/petroleum is used in almost every part of everyday life. plastics, packaging, food, gas, etc.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:40 PM   #20
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Crude has shot up about 10 dollars a barrel in the last week. This is largely believed to be a result of Egypt's situation. What fluctuation do you speak of?
The fact that the average price of gas per gallon in the US went down over the past two weeks. This being before and into the Egypt issue.

Prior to that, they had risen at least 14 cents/gallon.

BL.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:56 PM   #21
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Well I think it is a coup.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:59 PM   #22
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
"gas-prices-down-4-cents" ... and "prices soar"
your first quote was from 23 May 2013, and you next quote was was from 13 may 2013.

not saying that those data points don't matter, but that was from way long ago.

lots of stuff has an impact on the price/market after those dates. every day matters. even the 1/2 (half) days like today.

it changes by the minute, and it has nothing to do with me. just pointing it out and stuff.

free markets FTW!
Old Jul 3, 2013, 05:04 PM   #23
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
your first quote was from 23 May 2013, and you next quote was was from 13 may 2013.

not saying that those data points don't matter, but that was from way long ago.

lots of stuff has an impact on the price/market after those dates. every day matters. even the 1/2 (half) days like today.

it changes by the minute, and it has nothing to do with me. just pointing it out and stuff.

free markets FTW!
Come again?

The first quote was from the AP, published June 23rd. The second was from May 13th, which as I said, was both before and during the conflict.

The latter, which was around when the conflicted started, gas prices dropped. The former, which was completely during the conflict, gas prices started to rise.

My point: They haven't been static until today when you have this rise in prices. They've been going up and falling down the entire time. That's fluctuation.

BL.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:03 PM   #24
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
The unrest in Egypt is a reflection of its over population. There is no way that any govt. can create jobs for so many unemployed in such a short time. It's birthdate of 3.5 is unsustainable. According to Wikipedia the population grew from 63 mil in 2000 to 83 mil in 2013. To put that into context, the USA added 25 mil people in the same period although it has 5x more people. Until the Egyptians stop having kids they can't afford, there's not much hope.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 01:14 AM   #25
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Oh I know the price in gas has been trending down lately. However, I wouldn't expect it to last much longer. While crude is a predominant indicator or gas price, it is not the only factor (the MN region a few weeks ago gives an example of this).Just a matter of time when this increase is reflected

As the situation involves crude and not gas, crude is the benchmark to look at and it has been rising. This is due to the importance of the Suez in regard to transporting oil to the west
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues