Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When T-Mobile began selling the iPhone back in April, the carrier offered the entry level iPhone 5 for a down payment of just $100 with 24 monthly payments of $20 for a total device cost of $580.

In May, T-Mobile changed the down payment pricing to $150, bringing the total cost of the iPhone to $630, and today Tmonews reports that the carrier adjusted its pricing once again, lowering the down payment price to $145.99 but raising its monthly equipment installment price by $1, effectively making the overall price of the phone $649.99 ($145.99 + $21 x 24). That is essentially the same price that an unsubsidized phone costs directly from Apple.

iphonetmobile-800x557.png
The decreased down payment brings the initial cost of the 32GB iPhone 5 to $245.99 and the cost of the 64GB iPhone 5 to $345.99. T-Mobile's no contract monthly data plans remain the same, beginning at $50 per month for unlimited talk, text, and data.

Article Link: T-Mobile Drops iPhone Down Payment Price by $4, Increases Monthly Payment by $1

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Maybe I don't understand it correctly, maybe my math is wrong, but that's not a $5 difference.

Then my math is equally wrong. :eek: Also, if you write "down payment" in the title then don't you think you should remain consistent and not write "downpayment" in the article? You had a 50/50 chance that one spelling was correct.

PS: is this really a big deal though?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
nvm saw the $50
Just wondering, how much is the monthly usage fees? call & data+whatever fees?

Last edited:

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Maybe I don't understand it correctly, maybe my math is wrong, but that's not a $5 difference.

I think we were ignoring the $0.99, I've updated the article to reflect the $4 price difference. Thanks!

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Just wondering, how much is the monthly usage fees? call & data+whatever fees?

It's $145.99 to buy a 16GB iPhone 5, then there's a $21 per month device fee and a $50 per month plan for unlimited data, talk, and texts. With the $50/month plan, data is throttled after 500MB.

With a $60 plan, data is throttled after 2GB, and with a $70 plan, there's unlimited 4G data.

So an entry level phone on the cheapest plan will run you $71/month (plus standard taxes and fees).

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
T-Mobile's offering just sounds like an engineer trying to sell his formula to customers. Just sounds incredibly complicated. Just sell the phone at $649/$749/$849 and provide cheap service rates. Nice and simple!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
When T-Mobile began selling the iPhone back in April, the carrier offered the entry level iPhone 5 for a down payment of just $100 with 24 monthly payments of $20 for a total device cost of $580.

In May, T-Mobile changed the down payment pricing to $150, bringing the total cost of the iPhone to $630, and today Tmonews reports that the carrier adjusted its pricing once again, lowering the down payment price to $145.99 but raising its monthly equipment installment price by $1, effectively making the overall price of the phone $649.99 ($145.99 + $21 x 24). That is essentially the same price that an unsubsidized phone costs directly from Apple.

The decreased down payment brings the initial cost of the 32GB iPhone 5 to $245.99 and the cost of the 64GB iPhone 5 to $345.99. T-Mobile's no contract monthly data plans remain the same, beginning at $50 per month for unlimited talk, text, and data.

Article Link: T-Mobile Drops iPhone Down Payment Price by $4, Increases Monthly Payment by $1

Way to confuse people. Is this gonne mean any significant change to either the consumer or t-mob? All this nickel-and-diming only serves to antagonize potential customers. Make up your mind guys.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
T-Mobile's offering just sounds like an engineer trying to sell his formula to customers. Just sounds incredibly complicated. Just sell the phone at $649/$749/$849 and provide cheap service rates. Nice and simple!

People will balk at the price since they're used to the "$200"-ish price for phones and are clueless to the actual price of phones.

T-Mobile's way is a great middle-of-the-road approach. Though I agree changes like this is kinda pathetic. Just set a price and stick with it. If they realized they should've charged more, just wait for the new iPhone to drop, and change the price with it. Looks much better that way.

1enckore

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
My take its not working well, people are probably buying the phones leaving for other carrier or its not helping because you can leave anytime.. No contract is killing them

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
early iPhone Magenta adopters got a nice deal...

Those people who bought an iPhone from T-Mobile during it's initial $100 promotion lucked out, but now everyone else will to pay the standard full price, no surprise there.

However still, T-mo offers a more flexible and less expensive "contract" than the big 2 USA telecoms & Sprint. Service reliability and robustness on T-Mo's network on the other hand is an entirely different matter...

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
My take its not working well, people are probably buying the phones leaving for other carrier or its not helping because you can leave anytime.. No contract is killing them

You will get billed for the remainder cost of the phone. There's no customer benefit to getting a "discounted" iPhone to just take it to AT&T.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
So an entry level phone on the cheapest plan will run you $71/month (plus standard taxes and fees).

Or you just buy the iPhone directly from Apple and pop in a T-Mobile prepay SIM at $30/mo. (The $30 plans are in the smaller print at the bottom of the page.)

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Unlike the big three, T-Mobile doesn't require a minimum plan to use an iPhone on their network. You have real choices based on your usage.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Or you just buy the iPhone directly from Apple and pop in a T-Mobile prepay SIM at $30/mo. (The $30 plans are in the smaller print at the bottom of the page.)

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Unlike the big three, T-Mobile doesn't require a minimum plan to use an iPhone on their network. You have real choices based on your usage.

I was able to get the initial $70 reduced price at introduction and got on the $30 plan and was recently able to get my iPhone unlocked. It was a complicated process, but I saved the $70! With the current pricing it would be much better just to go to the Apple store and buy the phone already unlocked since the price is the same.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Tmobile USA is just as deceptive as the other carriers. This "uncarrier" branding may stop the bleeding of customers but won't gain them much more.

I think the FCC needs to force tmobile to reveal in big bold print the full cost of the phone as the primary headline than tmobile can put in smaller print the lower down payment.

This isn't a car lease where u have to retune the car. Dealers can promote low leases. But this is a full price of a phone consumers are responsible for.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Tmobile USA is just as deceptive as the other carriers. This "uncarrier" branding may stop the bleeding of customers but won't gain them much more.

I think the FCC needs to force tmobile to reveal in big bold print the full cost of the phone as the primary headline than tmobile can put in smaller print the lower down payment.

This isn't a car lease where u have to retune the car. Dealers can promote low leases. But this is a full price of a phone consumers are responsible for.

Do you then also believe that AT&T and VZ should have to put their Early Termination Fees in big bold print as well as tell you that your phone plan will never get cheaper even after you have satisfied your contract?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Do you then also believe that AT&T and VZ should have to put their Early Termination Fees in big bold print as well as tell you that your phone plan will never get cheaper even after you have satisfied your contract?

Yes. I agree.

The postpaid system in the US is a scam. Unfortunately the local, federal and city government are also involved with these post paid carriers since many get a "cut" of the fees.

So they will probably end up not doing anything about it.

JacinTatt

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
WOW!!!!! $4 SAVINGS!!!! Quick everyone, run to the bank, withdraw your savings, spend it on something nice!!!!!

/sarcasm

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Like the rest of the world does it!

But no... people in America are used to paying $199 for a phone in exchange for signing a contract for 2 years.

I applaud T-Mobile US for trying this experiment... but it doesn't look like it's working very well.

T-Mobile was always cheaper than the bigger carriers like Verizon and AT&T... so you'd think they'd have the most customers. But they don't.

Where I live... T-Mobile coverage isn't so great. I guess that's why people prefer the larger carriers.

In other words... T-Mobile branding themselves as the "uncarrier" with no contracts and telling people to "buy your own phone" isn't exactly bringing in the customers.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Last week I was able to have TigerDirect knock off $5 from my Router.

I saved $20 bucks on a Micro bluetooth speaker at Frys.

I bought 2 motorcycle tires for $189 dollars shipped; I saved about $80

I used a 20% coupon at harbor freight saving me about $6 bucks.

I can go on and on all day. Ask yourself; is this really news worthy?

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Last week I was able to have TigerDirect knock off $5 from my Router.

I saved $20 bucks on a Micro bluetooth speaker at Frys.

I bought 2 motorcycle tires for $189 dollars shipped; I saved about $80

I used a 20% coupon at harbor freight saving me about $6 bucks.

I can go on and on all day. Ask yourself; is this really news worthy?

It's summer, nothing happens so everything is news worthy

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
T-Mobile will not unlock the phone immediately so now it's better to buy the iPhone unlocked at an Apple store and then subscribe to T-Mobile service.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California

Yea, I'm a bit confused. I thought the shnit with them was that you would save money. I'm failing to see how I would save anything if I'm going to pay the same price for a phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.