Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wtwall9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Hello Mac experts,

I'm a recent Mac convert, who is just getting used to his brand new MBA. Don't get me wrong --- I love this thing --- but I've ran into a small problem with Mac Mail and Gmail.

I was following the directions of a blog post to get the folders cleaned up in Mac Mail, and one of the last steps was to move my entire inbox in the gmail web interface to another folder, and then move it back. I'm not sure if I misunderstood or if that direction wasn't the way to go, but after I moved the inbox emails to another folder in Gmail's web interface, and then moved them back, everytime I sync Mac Mail, it downloads a random set of 1000 emails from 2008 to 2009. Before I followed the blog directions and shifted my Gmail web inbox to another label, and then shifted it back, Mac Mail correctly downloaded my 1000 most recent emails.

Worse yet, now my iPhone's gmail interface is suffering from the same problem. The oddest part is that everything in the Gmail interface appears fine --- all of my emails are still indexed most recent to most distant in time, and emails from this week show up just fine. Also, if I manually move all of my inbox emails into a separate folder, and then move only a small number of emails (say 200) into my gmail inbox, those will sync fine in Mac Mail. It's only when I move my entire GMail web inbox back into the inbox folder that everything goes to hell: once I do that and Mac Mail syncs, it goes back to downloading 1000 emails from 2008-2009.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really don't want to alter the way I have things organized in the web interface, but the way my iPhone and Mac Mail are syncing right now is enough to make them useless.

Thanks for your help, all.

shani4321

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
hello mac experts,

i'm a recent mac convert, who is just getting used to his brand new mba. Don't get me wrong --- i love this thing --- but i've ran into a small problem with mac mail and gmail.

I was following the directions of a blog post to get the folders cleaned up in mac mail, and one of the last steps was to move my entire inbox in the gmail web interface to another folder, and then move it back. I'm not sure if i misunderstood or if that direction wasn't the way to go, but after i moved the inbox emails to another folder in gmail's web interface, and then moved them back, everytime i sync mac mail, it downloads a random set of 1000 emails from 2008 to 2009. Before i followed the blog directions and shifted my gmail web inbox to another label, and then shifted it back, mac mail correctly downloaded my 1000 most recent emails.

Worse yet, now my iphone's gmail interface is suffering from the same problem. The oddest part is that everything in the gmail interface appears fine --- all of my emails are still indexed most recent to most distant in time, and emails from this week show up just fine. Also, if i manually move all of my inbox emails into a separate folder, and then move only a small number of emails (say 200) into my gmail inbox, those will sync fine in mac mail. It's only when i move my entire gmail web inbox back into the inbox folder that everything goes to hell: Once i do that and mac mail syncs, it goes back to downloading 1000 emails from 2008-2009.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really don't want to alter the way i have things organized in the web interface, but the way my iphone and mac mail are syncing right now is enough to make them useless.

Thanks for your help, all.

p

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Not sure I understand the reason for moving everything out of the inbox and then back into it. Can you post a link to this blog post your were following?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.