Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Hey guys,

I am probably wrong in one way or another. But due to my lack of understanding of processors, are there huge differences in these two chips?

- The MBA i7 is based at 1.7 GHz, but is able to turbo boost up to 3.3 GHz, while the other chip is based at 2.8 GHz and turbo at the same 3.3 GHz. What differences does it make if both are able to turbo boost to 3.3 GHz? Sorry for the stupid question.

Edit: I know that the iGPU will be a better in the 5100 vs the 5000 (MBA), but not sure about the actual processing speed.

Uliman

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
Hey guys,

I am probably wrong in one way or another. But due to my lack of understanding of processors, are there huge differences in these two chips?

- The MBA i7 is based at 1.7 GHz, but is able to turbo boost up to 3.3 GHz, while the other chip is based at 2.8 GHz and turbo at the same 3.3 GHz. What differences does it make if both are able to turbo boost to 3.3 GHz? Sorry for the stupid question.

Edit: I know that the iGPU will be a better in the 5100 vs the 5000 (MBA), but not sure about the actual processing speed.

Not a stupid question. I'd be interested in this as well having posted similar thoughts in another thread.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
I'm running Win7 64 through Parallels. Don't know if that will work for you. Had Bootcamp on my MBP but got tired of having to reboot each time I needed to switch. Let me know.

Sure, if you could try on medium setting. I don't think parallel will score high, but it will give me a ball park estimate. Thanks for your help.

Uliman

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
Sure, if you could try on medium setting. I don't think parallel will score high, but it will give me a ball park estimate. Thanks for your help.

First, my Win7 did not have DirectX so I downloaded that from MS website. Then the benchmark program loaded up OK; I ran it on Medium and got the error code: Fatal error DirectX 10000000. I Googled this error but quite confusing. Any direction here? could it be that the Intel 4000 is not up to the task? Don't play any games so pretty clueless here.

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
First, my Win7 did not have DirectX so I downloaded that from MS website. Then the benchmark program loaded up OK; I ran it on Medium and got the error code: Fatal error DirectX 10000000. I Googled this error but quite confusing. Any direction here? could it be that the Intel 4000 is not up to the task? Don't play any games so pretty clueless here.

I have no clue either. It might just be parallel. Thanks for trying though. Gaming and Parallel dont quite go together anyway

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The 4558U has a 28W TDP instead of 15W like the Air CPUs. That means there is a lot more thermal headroom for the CPU and GPU. The 4558U should therefore be able to sustain turbo clocked speeds for longer.

loveflying

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
yeah,You can see a graph here. It seems the performance of the 5100 is a lot better.
mi8qzw

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Hey guys,

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1606655/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.