Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
gadget123
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Why is the iPhone touch screen so responsive?

To this day I've yet to find a mobile which is as responsive.

Many Android phones just don't respond to a first click on the internet browser or it takes a few pushes for texts.

Why is there not a half decent touch phone? Yes they have improved but I have to admit the Iphone 3GS still beats these Android phones.
gadget123 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
What a load of rubbish
nickchallis92 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
TheProFTW
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington, DC
I don't get what you're trying to say.. The iPhone is fast in a lot of things, but the touch screen being faster? LOL!

Most capacitive touch screens are the same speed in reaction, even my low-end Sony Live has a quick touch screen.

Maybe you're comparing to the real-low end android phones, the ones with resistive touch screens.
TheProFTW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:59 PM   #4
brendu
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Some might say its the great optimization of hardware and software designed to work together but I think you just haven't experienced a top end android or windows phone. They are smooth and responsive too.
brendu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Are you referring to the responsiveness while the page has not completely loaded yet? I know on my Android phone, if the page is still loading, it may not be very responsive when you tap the screen. The same thing happens on my PC browser. Some pages take some time to load and while loading, it isn't responsive to mouse clicks.

I think Safari on iOS may suspend the rendering of the page if you use the touch screen to zoom or scroll. Once you stop touching the screen, the page resumes loading. The same applies for animations. They stop if you scroll and resume once you release your finger.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:49 PM   #6
gadget123
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Well when I tried Xperia phones they are quite laggy with the touch screen. Same with some Samsung.

Admittedly the Galaxy 4 seems better but the same can't be said for many others.
gadget123 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:06 PM   #7
gotluck
macrumors 68040
 
gotluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Central Florida
i believe this is due to ios prioritizing the UI above all else.
__________________
iPad Air LTE 7.1.2 JB (T-Mobile) - GS 4 Google Edition 4.4.4 ART (AT&T) - Windows 7 PC's - iPhone 4 6.1 JB
gotluck is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:04 PM   #8
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
To this day I've yet to find a mobile which is as responsive.

Many Android phones just don't respond to a first click on the internet browser or it takes a few pushes for texts.

Why is there not a half decent touch phone? Yes they have improved but I have to admit the Iphone 3GS still beats these Android phones.
My android phone is as responsive as my iPhone 4,4s, 5.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:07 PM   #9
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
This will provide some insight, that said, I'm pretty sure Google changed their implantation shortly after this though.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/...droid_than_ios

Last edited by NT1440; Jul 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:31 PM   #10
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
You're holding it wrong.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Zaft
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC
i think what he means is ios has almost 1:1 finger input to response.
Zaft is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchallis92 View Post
What a load of rubbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProFTW View Post
I don't get what you're trying to say.. The iPhone is fast in a lot of things, but the touch screen being faster? LOL!

Most capacitive touch screens are the same speed in reaction, even my low-end Sony Live has a quick touch screen.

Maybe you're comparing to the real-low end android phones, the ones with resistive touch screens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
My android phone is as responsive as my iPhone 4,4s, 5.
I notice that Android users deliberately ignore this fact of it being perceptively smoother.

They simply choose to see it as being the same.

It's the best part of having a closed system.

For people to admit to themselves that Android has less smooth touch response would be equivalent to admitting the huge downside of having an "open" system where you can install all types of 3rd party garbage and customize.

They can't handle admitting that. They are too proud of that selling point which is their number one boast in the Android world; being customizable and open.

The Galaxy 4/Note 2 or any top tier phone still has not caught up though.

The Android OS is to blame, not hardware. It doesn't matter how powerful the processor gets or how much memory it gets thrown at it.

And the low end Android phones are just ridiculous. I've seen people push a button 3 times before it registers the push.

But with top tier phones, it's just feels like you are operating the GUI at like 20FPS and on iPhone it feels like everything is 60FPS. It's the best I can explain it.

All praise goes to the marriage of the OS to the Hardware and the closed system philosophy.

The main reason I would never switch as well.

Last edited by Bobby Corwen; Jul 5, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Bobby Corwen is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 03:59 PM   #13
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post
I notice that Android users deliberately ignore this fact of it being perceptively smoother.

They simply choose to see it as being the same.

It's the best part of having a closed system.

For people to admit to themselves that Android has less smooth touch response would be equivalent to admitting the huge downside of having an "open" system where you can install all types of 3rd party garbage and customize.

They can't handle admitting that. They are too proud of that selling point which is their number one boast in the Android world; being customizable and open.

The Galaxy 4/Note 2 or any top tier phone still has not caught up though.

The Android OS is to blame, not hardware. It doesn't matter how powerful the processor gets or how much memory it gets thrown at it.

And the low end Android phones are just ridiculous. I've seen people push a button 3 times before it registers the push.

But with top tier phones, it's just feels like you are operating the GUI at like 20FPS and on iPhone it feels like everything is 60FPS. It's the best I can explain it.

All praise goes to the marriage of the OS to the Hardware and the closed system philosophy.

The main reason I would never switch as well.
Never had such issues with my HTC one.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 05:46 PM   #14
adnbek
macrumors 65816
 
adnbek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchallis92 View Post
What a load of rubbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProFTW View Post
I don't get what you're trying to say.. The iPhone is fast in a lot of things, but the touch screen being faster? LOL!

Most capacitive touch screens are the same speed in reaction, even my low-end Sony Live has a quick touch screen.

Maybe you're comparing to the real-low end android phones, the ones with resistive touch screens.
http://youtu.be/J6oWDLk31EQ

http://youtu.be/RVDMOP1pWCQ

I believe he's referring to these above. I'm sure JB has lessened it somewhat but I can still see the lag on the HTC One and S4, especially when pinching to zoom on webpages or photos. There's a slight delay between the finger motion and the action on screen with any kind of finger input.
adnbek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 06:26 PM   #15
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
i believe this is due to ios prioritizing the UI above all else.
This.

iOS will suspend loading/downloading while you are doing something related to the touch screen.

Load a busy web page in safari (or any browser on iOS) and start scrolling without taking your finger off the screen (up and down). The web page will never load, until you stop. It does this in a lot of different ways. Take Tapatalk for example, it will lock out touch response when its loading.

Android on the other hand will load while you are touch the screen. And usually it feels like a delay in the touch response when that's happening.

The you can't rule out apps either. Like the Pizza Hut app (don't judge me) is a laggy mess on iOS. I can't say iOS is laggy because one app sucks. You can find browsers in android that are much smoother then others just due to being written better.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 09:04 AM   #16
falkedup
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Windows phones are just as fast, even the older ones (7,7.5).

Android unless you have a nexus, doesn't hold a candle
falkedup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 11:41 AM   #17
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman06 View Post
Are you referring to the responsiveness while the page has not completely loaded yet? I know on my Android phone, if the page is still loading, it may not be very responsive when you tap the screen. The same thing happens on my PC browser. Some pages take some time to load and while loading, it isn't responsive to mouse clicks.

I think Safari on iOS may suspend the rendering of the page if you use the touch screen to zoom or scroll. Once you stop touching the screen, the page resumes loading. The same applies for animations. They stop if you scroll and resume once you release your finger.
iOS uses multithreading more extensively, which is why your animations still occur while the page is rendering
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Just testing the iPhone 5 next to the nexus one. Both are super responsive. Depends on what android device you have.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:27 PM   #19
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
I agree with the OP. Other devices are getting much better, but still not as smooth and responsive as iDevices.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:19 PM   #20
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
This will provide some insight, that said, I'm pretty sure Google changed their implantation shortly after this though.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/...droid_than_ios
This story again? An actual Google employee came and and bashed this "former intern" and his rubbish, which is completely inaccurate.
__________________
Windows 8 | iPhone 5
bjb.butler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 01:52 PM   #21
eastercat
macrumors 68040
 
eastercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PDX
Apple does use a touchscreen that has more response points than the others. The article I read was from a few years back, so android may have caught up by now.
__________________
64 GB space grey iPhone 5S (AT&T); 16 GB space grey iPad retina mini (Verizon with T-Mobile sim); 2014 rMBP 2.8 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
eastercat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:36 PM   #22
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
This story again? An actual Google employee came and and bashed this "former intern" and his rubbish, which is completely inaccurate.
Ok, post the story. I haven't read it and I never really followed this story that much (articles on the nitty gritty of software seem to be few and far between).

I'd be interested in what made the first major wave of Android so laggy for touch. Now it's not even an issue but I remember those old days. Any insight?
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:21 AM   #23
moldy lunchbox
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
I use both everyday (see my sig) and iOS has a more fluid touchscreen response. My android has a 1.5ghz dualcore with 2gb of ram so its not slow, but the touch response still "lags" in certain elements where the iPhone keeps up. I can't explain it technically, but if you think Android Jellybean is as smooth as iOS i don't know what to tell you. The videos above seem to explain it/describe it.
__________________
-  13" Macbook Pro i5 8gb ram
-  iPhone 5S Gold 32GB Unlocked on AT&T
- Samsung Galaxy Tablet 7"
moldy lunchbox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 04:49 PM   #24
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Ok, post the story. I haven't read it and I never really followed this story that much (articles on the nitty gritty of software seem to be few and far between).

I'd be interested in what made the first major wave of Android so laggy for touch. Now it's not even an issue but I remember those old days. Any insight?
Not the exact article I was looking for, but it still sheds valuable insight.

http://blog.crazybob.org/2011/12/tru...rformance.html
__________________
Windows 8 | iPhone 5
bjb.butler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:01 PM   #25
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
Not the exact article I was looking for, but it still sheds valuable insight.

http://blog.crazybob.org/2011/12/tru...rformance.html
very cool, thanks
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
none responsive screen iphone 5 Beckmanldc iPhone 0 Jul 7, 2013 03:06 PM
iPhone 5 touch not very responsive. martinchivers iPhone 14 Jan 27, 2013 04:20 PM
iPhone 5 screen not as responsive. logicpro7 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 4 Nov 11, 2012 06:55 PM
Touch screen not responsive while charging ccwestcliff iPhone 3 Oct 11, 2012 02:22 PM
Iphone 5 screen not very responsive RTbar iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 6 Oct 10, 2012 08:26 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC