Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmac13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
I have a 27" iMac, and have been wanting a current Mac Pro before the new ones roll in. On craigslist someone was selling their Mac Pro 2012, the 2.8GHz Quad Core. It has 2x1TB HDD's, 6GB RAM, 240GB OCZ SSD. I have the 27" iMac with SSD and 1TB, 8GB RAM. Theirs has Apple care and mine does not. They say they would love to trade.

WHat should I check out on the Mac Pro?

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
I thought that the 2012's dropped the 2.8 cpu. All that was offered was 3.2 quad and 3.33 hex.
If I'm right, then it's actually a 2010. Not that it matters, really. I believe the quad core models were unchanged in 2012.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
I have no input on the spec's of either system, but I would advise caution when dealing with anyone on Craigslist, especially regarding electronics. In our area, there has been an increase in Craigslist robberies of electronics. People express interest, then show up at the meeting and steal the product.

So exercise due diligence and protect yourself.

Also, why is this person so eager to "trade down"? That raises a red flag to me.

Anyway, just my two cents of free advice.

Good luck.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I have a 27" iMac, and have been wanting a current Mac Pro before the new ones roll in. On craigslist someone was selling their Mac Pro 2012, the 2.8GHz Quad Core. It has 2x1TB HDD's, 6GB RAM, 240GB OCZ SSD. I have the 27" iMac with SSD and 1TB, 8GB RAM. Theirs has Apple care and mine does not. They say they would love to trade.

Before meeting with the seller, try to ask for the Mac Pro's serial number and do an Apple Serial Check to verify its AppleCare. If the seller does not want to give out the serial may be possible the machine does not exist and somewhat dubious. Like what sigmadog pointed out, be cautious with Craigslist ads. The 2.8ghz is a Mid 2010 model and not 2012. Also check the cosmetic condition if the Mac Pro has dents which could mean it fell hard on the floor or was mishandled. The interior components may have been affected. Good luck

tjlazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Tacoma, WA USA
You could both meet up at an Apple store to have the systems checked over and for protection for both parties. But I'd say that's a good deal. Go for it.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012

It's very likely that the seller is LYING. In my experience dealing with craigslist, multiple people have lied about the age of Mac Pros. The 2.8ghz quad core could actually be the 2008 model mac pro 3,1. This is considered obsolete by most mac pro users as it still uses the old super expensive ram and may not run mavericks. In fact, based on how little ram is in his machine and how most of the mac pros for sale in second hand markets are the Mac Pro 1,1 - 3,1 models, it's almost certainly a 2008 model (3,1) mac pro. a 2008 Mac Pro is ancient compared to a late model iMac.

In addition, a 27 inch imac will likely feel faster for most tasks than a 2.8ghz mac pro. The CPUs on the 27 inch imacs have higher clock speeds than 2.8ghz in virtually all cases. Depending on the details of your current imac and your computing needs, you may very well be looking at a substantial performance hit.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
It's very likely that the seller is LYING. In my experience dealing with craigslist, multiple people have lied about the age of Mac Pros. The 2.8ghz quad core could actually be the 2008 model mac pro 3,1. This is considered obsolete by most mac pro users as it won't run the latest iteration of OS X, and it still uses the old super expensive ram. In fact, based on how little ram is in his machine, it's almost certainly a 2008 model mac pro.

I don't think so, but photos would help in discharging that fear. Now, the 3,1 most certainly will run OS 10.8.4 and as of right now, it will run 10.9, so your statement is simply untrue. Your statement on the RAM is true, however, RAM for the 3,1 is more expensive than RAM for the 4,1 or 5,1 due to the needed heatsink required by the 3,1 design.. As far as obsolete, no, not really. It's a 64 bit machine that will run the latest OS.

Lou

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think so, but photos would help in discharging that fear. Now, the 3,1 most certainly will run OS 10.8.4 and as of right now, it will run 10.9, so your statement is simply untrue. Your statement on the RAM is true, however, RAM for the 3,1 is more expensive than RAM for the 4,1 or 5,1 due to the needed heatsink required by the 3,1 design.. As far as obsolete, no, not really. It's a 64 bit machine that will run the latest OS.

Lou

Well the 3,1 should be much cheaper if it's the quad version. The octo core should still be cheaper than a 5,1. The 2012s did come with 6GB by default, but the standard cpu is a 3.2 quad, not a 2.8. Craigslist has too many jerks. There are people trying to peddle 1,1s saying how it's the best computer they ever owned and a workhorse or whatever. If it was still both fast and working, they wouldn't be selling it:p.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
The thread starter may have to consider all suggestion made for a safe transaction. If the Mac Pro is legitimate and works fine, another thing to watch out for is after a few months some parts may die and there's no way you can get back to the seller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.