Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I tried transferring my Time Machine volume to a new drive using the instructions provided by Apple, where it requires that I drag-and-drop via the Finder, but I got a ton of errors. At least a dozen at the same time. I don't recall them all, but some were quite strange. I have transferred a Time Machine drive once before, and it took 24 hours, but there were no errors.

There were a lot of "This operation could not be completed." errors. I think the codes were along the lines of -50 and -8300. I also noticed one particularly strange error, saying something like "The version of iWorks used to create this document is older."

What do these all mean, and what can I do to fix them? I already ran "Repair disk" on both the source and destination volumes, with no errors.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't really know, but the only thing I can think of to ask is that is it formatted properly as in steps 3 and 4 of the URL you are following?

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I don't really know, but the only thing I can think of to ask is that is it formatted properly as in steps 3 and 4 of the URL you are following?

Yep, definitely formatted properly. I've formatted quite a few external drives to Mac formats, and this one is done the same. I followed the instructions step-by-step just to be careful.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Are you missing any files now?

Why not just start over and just create a clean backup to the new TC?

Okay so I used Disk Utility to copy TM to the new drive, and although it took longer than it would have taken through the Finder, it still worked. Success!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.