Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1
nexgen
macrumors newbie

How to keep window always on top?

I use afloat to keep most of the window always on top but it doesn't work for some apps like excel, textwrangler etc...

How can I make excel, textwrangler etc.. to stay on top even if I focus on some other apps?
nexgen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Gregg2
macrumors 601

The techie definition of "focus" is that the window of a particular application is on top. What do you mean by changing the focus but not the window that is on top??
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
MeatRocket
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
The techie definition of "focus" is that the window of a particular application is on top. What do you mean by changing the focus but not the window that is on top??
Check your definition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_(computing)

Actually the proper definition in terms of applications and programming for focus is "the GUI component that is the target of user input". There are plenty of examples of windows being on top that are not in focus. The 1st off the top of my head is task manager in Windows. It's always on top, but other windows can be the focus of user input.

To answer the OP, there is an app for Mac called Afloat that seems to be what you're looking for.
MeatRocket is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store