Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmcgee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Greetings,

Our team takes astrophysical simluations of double-binary mass transfer systems and renders the objects as a concatenated frame-stock, then exported as a Quicktime movie. We will start rendering these in High-Defintion soon in the file formats described below using codecs like H264, Quicktime, MPEG2, etc. We want to stream these Quicktime movies in High Definition to an HDTV using an Xbox 360. Currently, a Mac or PC cannot drive the HDTV at true HD since the digital signal cannot be converted to NTSC interlaced HDTV format. The Xbox360 boasts it can do this with a Windows Media Center PC, but what about Mac!? If anyone can point to a reference or address, phone number (besides Xbox, Microsoft, or Apple customer support), we would be thankful for that.

Goals: The Xbox 360 must be able to ...

1. (Accept)Stream/save to hard disk digital movie formats from PowerMacG5
2. Stream or Playback(from hard disk) digital movie formats to HDTV at its native HD resolution-say of 768i, 1080i, etc
3. Stream/Playback .mov, .m2v, .m4v,etc movie file format

PowerMac G5 I/O:
1. DVI-D
2. Firewire 900, 600
3. 100 MBps Ethernet
4. USB 2.0

HDTV I/O:
1. RGB
2. HD Component
3. Composite
4. S-Video
5. Coax (NTSC)

Questions:

1. If the Xbox 360 can meet our goals, how exactly, w.r.t. hardware/software configuration, will it do this?
2. Is a WindowsXP 2005 w/Rollup 2 update Media Center PC the ONLY way to communicate media through Xbox 360? What about Mac?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The person is not a newb that just came here to spam, so we let them off once.

But if they do it again then...

banhamster.jpg

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Sorry jmcgee,

Doesn't look like people are going to forgive you for you spamfest, which means even if you think you question is uber important -- you screwed it up.

Looks like they are going to hammer your thread until it is closed.

attachment.php

You can alway try posting at the Mac Achaia

But a hint, they don't tolerate this type of behavior either.

Edit: Plus they may be willing to go into the technical details a lot more over there.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just buy a frigging Xbox 360 when they come out and experiment yourself.

No one here has one; I assume, (unless they work for Microsoft and don't mind stealing stock :rolleyes: ) as it's not available till the end of the month and hence our experiences with hoooking it up to a G5 are going to be nonexistant.

You could always buy an existing Xbox, Put a modchip inside and run Xbox Media Center as this outputs in both 720p or 1080i already.

You can then ethernet connect this to your Mac, and by simply adding a folder link in one of the ini files, which is accessable via FTP on your mac, stream video from your movies folder to the Xbox and onto your HDTV.

Hope that helps.

jmcgee said:
Greetings,

Our team takes astrophysical simluations of double-binary mass transfer systems and renders the objects as a concatenated frame-stock, then exported as a Quicktime movie. We will start rendering these in High-Defintion soon in the file formats described below using codecs like H264, Quicktime, MPEG2, etc. We want to stream these Quicktime movies in High Definition to an HDTV using an Xbox 360. Currently, a Mac or PC cannot drive the HDTV at true HD since the digital signal cannot be converted to NTSC interlaced HDTV format. The Xbox360 boasts it can do this with a Windows Media Center PC, but what about Mac!? If anyone can point to a reference or address, phone number (besides Xbox, Microsoft, or Apple customer support), we would be thankful for that.

Goals: The Xbox 360 must be able to ...

1. (Accept)Stream/save to hard disk digital movie formats from PowerMacG5
2. Stream or Playback(from hard disk) digital movie formats to HDTV at its native HD resolution-say of 768i, 1080i, etc
3. Stream/Playback .mov, .m2v, .m4v,etc movie file format

PowerMac G5 I/O:
1. DVI-D
2. Firewire 900, 600
3. 100 MBps Ethernet
4. USB 2.0

HDTV I/O:
1. RGB
2. HD Component
3. Composite
4. S-Video
5. Coax (NTSC)

Questions:

1. If the Xbox 360 can meet our goals, how exactly, w.r.t. hardware/software configuration, will it do this?
2. Is a WindowsXP 2005 w/Rollup 2 update Media Center PC the ONLY way to communicate media through Xbox 360? What about Mac?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
jmcgee said:
Greetings,

If I answer your question, will I get a co-authorship on your papers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.