Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mert0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Hello to the lovely people on Macrumors Forum
I recently bought my first Mac, which is the 13" MBA. The screen seemed a bit weird, so having heard all the hustle about Samsung vs LG screens, I thought mine was an LG display and tried different color profiles etc.
As it turns out, my display is a Samsung display (LSN133BT01A02), which surprised me a bit. Why? Because the calibration seemed very off from what I read, that Samsung is better out of the box. Everything seemed a bit yellowish, like setting f.lux to max.
I just calibrated my screen and I find it satisfying enough. My first post on this forum has two points:

1-) Has anyone else noticed something similar? I'm worried, that there might actually be a problem with my display and by calibrating I'm just masking it.

2-) My calibration profile file of course. If anyone wants to try it to see if it's better, I attached the file.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Color LCD Calibrated.icc.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 383

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I just received my new MBA 2013. It has the LG display. What I noticed is that it has a totally different white point (white balance) compared to the Samsung display from the MBA 2012. The LG 2013 has a yellow tint, whereas the Samsung 2012 seems to have a slightly blueish tint when compared. I played around with the Color Profile settings, the white point however isn't really adjustable. How is your Samsung screen's color temperature? Would be interesting.

mert0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
I'm not sure anymore. I'm really confused and can't even decide, whether non-calibrated looks better or worse than the calibrated. I'm gonna need another display for comparison I guess.
Maybe I'm just used to bad calibration and it feels weird, when it's satisfactory.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
Well... There's a way to manually edit the Color Profiles. It's a lot of trial and error to get it working, though... :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T26Nm5_4Wxo

The combined "Phosphor Values" seem to be the solution for my problem. (I used the CustomMacRumors.icc for the LG display. AFAIK there's no such color profile for the Samsung display.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 20.24.51 .jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 20.24.51 .jpg
    87 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I just tried your profile metr0.

Its more blue-ish...i like it.

Last edited:

mert0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
I'm glad you liked it. I'm probably gonna try to rent a calibration tool or have it done at a local photo store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.