Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Patent Details Flexible Battery Shape for Future Devices

An Apple patent application published yesterday (via Patently Apple) by the United States Patent and Trademark office details the creation of a flexible battery shape, suggesting that the company is exploring solutions for future products that may take on a unique shape, such as the rumored iWatch.

The patent, which was filed in December of 2011, covers a flexible battery pack that consists of several different cells connected through a laminate layer, designed to "allow the battery to be shaped to fit a form factor of the electronic device."

Quote:
Electronic devices are ubiquitous in society and can be found in everything from portable cell phones to wristwatches. Many of these electronic devices require some type of portable power source. Many of these electronic devices also have unique form factors. Because of this, the portable power source of any one electronic device may not fit within any other electronic device.

Furthermore, these unique form factors often require flexible battery arrangements, whereas conventional battery packs are often too rigid to flexibly conform to these form factors. For example, lithium-ion batteries, such as lithium polymer battery cells, are quite rigid and bending them repeatedly may cause damage to the battery cells and battery failure. As a result of attempting to accommodate inflexible battery packs, the packaging of portable electronic devices may not be optimally sized.
Apple's patent also suggests that a flexible battery pack could have certain cells removed to incorporate thermoelectric coolers, flashes, or a camera, allowing the battery to fit more snugly into a small space. The company points out that an isolated flexible cell arrangement increases device reliability as well, preventing multiple connected cells from failing at once due to environmental factors like moisture or dust.

According to Apple, its flexible battery solution could be used in a number of devices, including "wristwatches, calculators, laptop computers, tablet computers, and/or music players."

A patent application published in March and a job listing in April suggested that Apple was researching iPhones constructed with flexible wraparound displays, and such designs would likely incorporate the flexible battery detailed in yesterday's patent.

Apple's much rumored "iWatch" could also take advantage of a flexible battery, as a February patent revealed that the company was experimenting with a potential wraparound touch-sensitive display.

In recent weeks, Apple has filed for a number of trademarks on the iWatch name around the world. According to rumors, Apple has 100 product designers working on the watch, which is likely to launch in 2014.

Article Link: Apple Patent Details Flexible Battery Shape for Future Devices
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:00 PM   #2
laflores
macrumors regular

Key word = wristwatch
laflores is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:01 PM   #3
NT1440
macrumors G3

Apple's really had some very exciting patents for batteries in the last few years.
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Will these batteries also bulge and explode?

Apple iPhone 5 reportedly explodes during phone call in Thailand

MacBook Air battery exploding/expanding

Apple hasn't had the best track record with batteries, although many of them were manufactured by the same company for other retailers.

This is a facetious and teasing post, as this happens to all tech

Last edited by bedifferent; Jul 5, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:06 PM   #5
JodyK
macrumors 6502a

You see this and think wow how simple ... how is this not an existing patent. Apple you patent geniuses!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Will these batteries also bulge and explode?

Apple iPhone 5 reportedly explodes during phone call in Thailand

MacBook Air battery exploding/expanding

Apple hasn't had the best track record with batteries, although many of them were manufactured by the same company for other retailers.
Chemistry.

All LiPo batteries have the same slight fire/swelling risk. Can't tell you how many Android, Windows, and iOS devices I've seen with swollen batteries working for the geeksquad the past few years.
NT1440 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:10 PM   #7
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Chemistry.

All LiPo batteries have the same slight fire/swelling risk. Can't tell you how many Android, Windows, and iOS devices I've seen with swollen batteries working for the geeksquad the past few years.
Oh, I know, I was just being facetious and teasing. It happens to all batteries cross tech, Apple just gets the brunt of it cause, well, Apple is "evil"
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Wow. How can the patent system be so broken? This is completely obvious and I should have patented it and I can be making millions by now because I know more about patents than Apple. /s
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Bistroengine
macrumors regular

If this is for the rumored iWatch, you can bet that the batteries will be integrated into the watches wrist straps.
Bistroengine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Bhatu
macrumors regular

So coming up next... MacPro style iPods? o_O
Bhatu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:24 PM   #11
markfc
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to markfc Send a message via AIM to markfc Send a message via MSN to markfc Send a message via Skype™ to markfc
Replacement iWatch battery straps for $99 coming in 3, 2, 1... ;-)
markfc is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #12
iglobe
macrumors newbie

Display Spec:Iwatch display res 1136x640 4" .this resolution looks better on hand then an broader 720p ,this the only reason apple choose that weird long remote display resolution .also good for developers ,no need to develope app for new display resolution.
iglobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #13
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

hmmm...impressive. i hope they bring out the flexible battery asap, i dont want it to just get lost in the millions of patents owned by apple.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #14
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

The iWatch is something between the iPhone and a “normal” watch. I do not see the big market.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:43 PM   #15
jack2wai2
macrumors member

Impressive

Now, Samsung created flexible screen while Apple created flexible battery. The war...

How can we expect flexible smartphone in the future without these two companies work together?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:47 PM   #16
fenderbass146
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Chemistry.

Side note. I work for geek squad also and I've seen quite a few old iPhone 4 and 4s crack the back glass just because of battery swelling. Where you work for geek squad at?
fenderbass146 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 01:58 PM   #17
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbass146 View Post
Side note. I work for geek squad also and I've seen quite a few old iPhone 4 and 4s crack the back glass just because of battery swelling. Where you work for geek squad at?
I'm in CT
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

Um... flexible / mold forming batteries have been around for... near decades. Yes, different chemistry, but the jump to this chemistry I'd say is obvious to people familiar power storage / electronics packaging.

The cost of tooling / manufacturing likely kept them out of the mainstream back then - but this is by no stretch, something unique. I hope a patent is not granted solely for this.

Especially when a quick google yields: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Fle...Ion,16852.html
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:03 PM   #19
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by laflores View Post
Key word = wristwatch
Or iPad Smart Cover
HMI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:21 PM   #20
DotCom2
macrumors 68000

I'm excited about this and the possibilities!
DotCom2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2wai2 View Post
Now, Samsung created flexible screen while Apple created flexible battery. The war...

How can we expect flexible smartphone in the future without these two companies work together?
Because Samsung is not the first, nor the only company that "invented" flexible screens? (despite all the "futuristic" demos they've done trying to make you think otherwise.)

Also, I still don't see how a flexible screen could be usable as a touch screen.

What an iWatch needs is not a flexible screen, but a curved touchscreen that doesn't deform when you touch it.
Casiotone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:27 PM   #22
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

How about OLED displays so thin they're like newspapers that change as news reports change a la "Minority Report"? That would be amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	421587  
Attached Images

Last edited by bedifferent; Jul 5, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:30 PM   #23
TMay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-TDI-Guy View Post
Um... flexible / mold forming batteries have been around for... near decades. Yes, different chemistry, but the jump to this chemistry I'd say is obvious to people familiar power storage / electronics packaging.

The cost of tooling / manufacturing likely kept them out of the mainstream back then - but this is by no stretch, something unique. I hope a patent is not granted solely for this.

Especially when a quick google yields: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Fle...Ion,16852.html
It's the specifics that are potentially patentable. People here don't seem to understand that the design and the manufacturing process of making these is where the patents are applicable.

Making a practical watchband with a series of batteries in it would be patentable as well. Perhaps this patent foreshadows that?

As to flexibility, there is a great deal of difference between flex necessary for a one time installation process and that necessary for a device to be attached and removed from the wrist multiple times during the day for the lifetime of the product.

Of course, not stating that this is what the patent refers to.
TMay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:45 PM   #24
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Yea I could see this in the watch. Hopefully it wouldnt get to warm though?

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:53 PM   #25
damir00
macrumors 6502a

Hmm....I may have priority on this one...came up with an application for embedding batteries in the curve of a over-ear headphone head piece...

Will have to read this one closely....
damir00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion