Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
I must say, I really like the concept of a totally gesture based OS but I wonder exactly how much it will interfere with open applications, thoughts?

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
How is it different from the iPhone's home button? The original Kindle Fire only had an on/off button and that wasn't too hard to deal with.

I was referencing the way you switch between apps. how will developers integrate a sidebar by swiping of the OS uses it to go back?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I was referencing the way you switch between apps. how will developers integrate a sidebar by swiping of the OS uses it to go back?

There are many ways they can deal with it. Glovebox has sensitivity settings so it doesn't interfere with reading apps for example. When you swipe pages of a book, you usually do it in the middle, the menu could be triggered at the very edges, and they would be smaller swipes.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
definitely, it looks really awesome. will definitely try it on my galaxy s2.
the most important thing to notice it that most of the reviewers think it's the best android and ios alternative.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
i think it be really great, really different, an unusual and a new thing. i have my htc one x waiting for it, will surely check out why tech sites love it so much.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Can already do this with Android. See below. I'm running an Ubuntu overlay theme (UCCW with Nova launcher) with an AOKP ROM that uses Ribbons for swipe navigation and multitasking.
First image is my home screen. 2nd image is swipe up for dock. 3rd image is swipe from right side edge for favorite apps and recent apps (instead of using a ribbon though, I use n app called Swapps). 4th image is swipe down for notifications, toggles and Nav bar, plus virtual power button.
I could also use swipe from left side, but don't need it. I have no need to use any physical buttons, other than to turn the phone on. All swipes are available at any time unless in an app that prevents input, until it is exited.
I look forward to the real thing though, when it actually is in a working beta state, instead of the very raw alpha currently out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-07-19-07-33.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-19-07-33.png
    613.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_2013-07-07-19-07-39.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-19-07-39.png
    642.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_2013-07-07-19-07-56.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-19-07-56.png
    606.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2013-07-07-19-08-23.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-07-19-08-23.png
    324.9 KB · Views: 83

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Can already do this with Android. See below. I'm running an Ubuntu overlay theme (UCCW with Nova launcher) with an AOKP ROM that uses Ribbons for swipe navigation and multitasking.
First image is my home screen. 2nd image is swipe up for dock. 3rd image is swipe from right side edge for favorite apps and recent apps (instead of using a ribbon though, I use n app called Swapps). 4th image is swipe down for notifications, toggles and Nav bar, plus virtual power button.
I could also use swipe from left side, but don't need it. I have no need to use any physical buttons, other than to turn the phone on. All swipes are available at any time unless in an app that prevents input, until it is exited.
I look forward to the real thing though, when it actually is in a working beta state, instead of the very raw alpha currently out.

tl89G.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.