Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Booji
macrumors regular

Airs in cafes

I've been making it a habit to work in cafes a few hours of the day to escape the monotony of the office and put myself in a environment that helps bring out the creative vibes.

One thing that I noticed is that Apple products seem to dominate the cafe crowd - seems as if 90% of the laptops are Apple with many being Macbook Air. For tablet users, its hard to see anything but an iPad.

So whats it with the cafe demographic and Apple products? It does not seem to be just young people.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

I don't know, but all I can speculate is that the partnership of Apple, AT&T and Starbucks may have gotten the ball started for doing this type of thing. Couple that with popular movies and TV shows displaying similar behavior. Then you have the whole thing of people watching others do it and they in turn follow suit.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:11 PM   #3
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Whenever I go to a Starbucks, I take my Surface RT, just so I'm not a hipster.

I like to start my own trends, and go against the crowd.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:16 PM   #4
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Whenever I go to a Starbucks, I take my Surface RT, just so I'm not a hipster.

I like to start my own trends, and go against the crowd.
Hipster!
tdhurst is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:18 PM   #5
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

There are many Macs in Cafes, but it's nowhere near 90%. Some days you only see Macs, other days there are a bunch of ThinkPads and Dells, or just some random stuff. Once I saw a guy with a 19'' or 20'' portable workstation - just the power brick was as big as my MBP.

Tablets the majority are iPads, but I don't see many people work on them. What I really like is that I still see many people with their older MacBook (Pro) models. The white MB can still be seen very often, and I'm happy every time I see a black MB or a non unibody MBP.
thundersteele is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

It depends where you go. I went to a Panera a few months ago and observed:
  1. The wireless was G
  2. The sandwiches were fresh
  3. The coffee wasn't
  4. The laptops were Windows

I thought I was in Bizarro Starbucks
Old Jul 5, 2013, 09:55 PM   #7
falconeight

Who knows why. Maybe the all the other computers ran out of juice and were packed away.
falconeight is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:04 PM   #8
mj1108
macrumors 6502

Any time I've gone to Starbucks in the past it seems to vary. Sometimes it'll be dominated by Windows machines, other times Mac's....
mj1108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:41 PM   #9
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Maybe because Macbooks generally have better battery life than other notebooks (prior to ultrabooks and tablets), so it's just easier for Macbook owners to take their machines out and about. I've had a netbook since 2008 and that's the only notebook you can reasonably take outside without the accompanying power adapter, something you can say is true about all Macbooks since the unibody.
yinz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:53 PM   #10
DarkoDonnie
macrumors member

I've never seen macbooks at a Tim Hortons (huge cheap coffee chain in canada), but it's all i see at starbucks..

I know once i get my rMBP I'll be headed to starbucks to sit there and work when I'm sick of my desk. seems like a better crowed to work around. pricey drinks brings in a crowd of people you dont think are going to pour coffee in your face and steal your laptop. i onno.

maybe it has somthing to do with this *steve jobs look alike* drinking at Starbucks ;p

Click image for larger version

Name:	fasdfasfd.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	421651
DarkoDonnie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:11 PM   #11
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkoDonnie View Post
I've never seen macbooks at a Tim Hortons (huge cheap coffee chain in canada), but it's all i see at starbucks..
Attachment 421651
Tim Hortons (which operates hundreds of stores in the United States) only put in WiFi last year, years after Starbucks, McDonald's, Timothy's and Second Cup. And they're very much a downmarket chain with most of their sales "to go" and none of the comfortable living room type furniture found in the more upscale chains. Not surprising you don't see MacBooks there - I wouldn't drink their coffee on a bet.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:24 AM   #12
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Serious IBM users are at their offices and visiting clients, not sitting in cafes.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:33 AM   #13
falconeight

I know when I was in college all I saw was macs.
falconeight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 04:26 AM   #14
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
One thing that I noticed is that Apple products seem to dominate the cafe crowd - seems as if 90% of the laptops are Apple with many being Macbook Air.
I've seen the same. It also applies to schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Serious IBM users are at their offices and visiting clients, not sitting in cafes.
People who have IBM's, HP's or Dell's assigned to them, have also been assigned desks.
Or conversely: Free-roaming people buy the hardware they like

RGDS,
seveej is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:17 AM   #15
Memole
macrumors member

i find people who bring laptops in cafes are just showoffs ( you cant do any serious work in cafes ffs )

maybe i should come with my black macbook to feel unique

or when i buy rMBP 15" to install gentoo and to not have any GUI :P how different is that haha
Memole is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 05:51 AM   #16
Psychj0e
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memole View Post
i find people who bring laptops in cafes are just showoffs ( you cant do any serious work in cafes ffs )

maybe i should come with my black macbook to feel unique

or when i buy rMBP 15" to install gentoo and to not have any GUI :P how different is that haha
Scientific research says you are wrong there pal. Never mind, eh.
Psychj0e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:19 AM   #17
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
That is certainly your opinion, however, I am ready to believe that there are, in fact, folks who are able to get serious work done while in the café. Moreover, not everyone is a show off simply because they brought a device in to do some work. You may feel that way, but it may not always be the person's intent to be that way.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:05 AM   #18
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
IBM hasn't made personal computers for years. So technically, serious IBM users are unproductive since they're using ancient hardware.
ftaok is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:15 AM   #19
B...
macrumors 68000

Battery life, portability.
B... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:20 AM   #20
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Quote:
If you can't it may be your concentration or attention span.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:25 AM   #21
Memole
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychj0e View Post
Scientific research says you are wrong there pal. Never mind, eh.
Cafeine and coffee helps but you can drink a coffee in your home or office or somewhere where is more quieter than cafe bar places

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
That is certainly your opinion, however, I am ready to believe that there are, in fact, folks who are able to get serious work done while in the café. Moreover, not everyone is a show off simply because they brought a device in to do some work. You may feel that way, but it may not always be the person's intent to be that way.
yes i know that not everyone is a showoff, but in my opinion and i personally i cant do much serious and dedicated work in cafe bar due the crowded people and noise, only thing i could do in cafe bar is to enjoy in my coffee and talk with my friends in person
Memole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:32 AM   #22
marc11
macrumors 68000

When I am anywhere using my laptop or tablet or phone it is because I have crap to do and need internet while away from home. For example when on a business trip between meetings at different locations I may stop at a Starbucks to do some work. I do not look around to see who is using a device nor what they are using as I don't care. If you are looking around to compare devices being used perhaps your a poser?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:36 AM   #23
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
yes i know that not everyone is a showoff, but in my opinion and i personally i cant do much serious and dedicated work in cafe bar due the crowded people and noise, only thing i could do in cafe bar is to enjoy in my coffee and talk with my friends in person
I only responded like that because you had made an all-encompassing sweeping statement about the crowd of people who do this sort of thing.

I've not brought my laptop into a café before as I feel it's too much and I don't usually spend a lot of time inside. I have brought the iPad in a couple of times since it is much easier to carry around.

Most of the time, it's the drive through for me.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:37 AM   #24
DoctorK4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
When I am anywhere using my laptop or tablet or phone it is because I have crap to do and need internet while away from home.
Showoff.
DoctorK4 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:38 AM   #25
Booji
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
When I am anywhere using my laptop or tablet or phone it is because I have crap to do and need internet while away from home. For example when on a business trip between meetings at different locations I may stop at a Starbucks to do some work. I do not look around to see who is using a device nor what they are using as I don't care. If you are looking around to compare devices being used perhaps your a poser?
Not really, just an observation. I am interested in tech so I do tend to pay attention to device adoption.

BTW, this is perspective from Singapore and Asia......but perhaps not reflective of the rest of the world.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air