Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockethouse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a new Macbook and really really stumped as to which one out the following three to choose from!!

I'll be mainly using it for Web Development (Adobe Suite etc..) as well as some Multi-Track Audio Recording / Mixing... So I do need some guts!

1. 13" cMBP - i7 2.9GHZ + 256gb SSD + 16gb RAM (Manually Upgraded) = Around $2,100

2. 13" rMBP - i7 3.0GHZ + 256 SSD + 8gb Ram = Around $2,000

3. 13" MBAir i7 1.7GHZ + 256GB Flash + 8gb Ram = Around $1,700

I'm not too fussed about budget (or saving money) as It's more important that the machine will perform well, but I am fussed about portability so the 15" is out... and too expensive.

Obviously the first option would seem the best, but then I don't get either the benefits of a Retina screen OR better battery performance...

What I'm really unsure of is if

a) Do I really need 16gb of Ram?

b) Will I actually notice the difference in performance between the three?

I'm actually also thinking the worst performer out of the three would be number 2? (13" rMBP) as the specs are roughly the same as the AIR but the Retina screen will be more CPU/GPU intensive? and the AIR has a better GPU? 5000 over 4000... Is this a correct judgement?

If I don't really need 16gb and the CPU performance between all three will be so similar, then the AIR seems the winner?

Are there any other downsides or pro's that I may have not factored / mentioned?

Or any other advice!!

Also, lastly, I can't wait either (for an updated rMBP) as I need it as soon as the next few days...

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

Cheers

kahkityoong

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I would personally go the MBA. For me the extra portability is a big plus carrying it around and for comfort on my lap. I prefer the screen over the cMBP which is really average. While the vast majority of people prefer the retina display, I think it's only advantage is for watching HD movies, recently selling a rMBP for a MBA.
For what you are using it for I've found the difference between 4GB RAM and 8GB RAM huge but not so noticeable going from 8GB to 16GB.
Even though the difference is not great the rMBP feels fat compared to my MBA.
Doubt you will notice much difference in performance between all of these options.

hacke

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
I would buy the cMBP due to 2nd hard-drive replacement and RAM upgrades! If you don't like upgrades I would recommend the MBA

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I would either get a refurb rMBP or a new MBA given the battery life. If you find yourself leaning to the retina due to he screen then you may want to consider waiting for a refresh for the graphics and battery boost. Also, in my opinion I'd look for 512gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.