Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Hey Everyone,

Just a quick question. I'm probably going to get myself a 30gb 5g ipod, but I only have usb 1.1 on my pb. Though, I'm probably going to upgrade to a new imac in the spring.

I don't mind the big first upload, and I don't mess with the content of the ipod that much.

But, if I create a new playlist in iTunes, how quick would the transfer be to update the ipod over usb 1.1? In other words, when updating a playlist, are the songs in the new playlist all over again, or is there a simple "directory" change, involving little data transfer?

Thanks in advance for the help.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
DCBass said:
Hey Everyone,

Just a quick question. I'm probably going to get myself a 30gb 5g ipod, but I only have usb 1.1 on my pb. Though, I'm probably going to upgrade to a new imac in the spring.

I don't mind the big first upload, and I don't mess with the content of the ipod that much.

But, if I create a new playlist in iTunes, how quick would the transfer be to update the ipod over usb 1.1? In other words, when updating a playlist, are the songs in the new playlist all over again, or is there a simple "directory" change, involving little data transfer?

Thanks in advance for the help.

if you aren't uploading any new songs in the playlist, rather, just a new playlist of old songs, or an updated playlist, then the transfer takes almost no time at all (literally, i could do it in the time it would take me to type the letter I) over usb1.1. thats pretty nice if you ask me; though the big download was tough to wait through. keep in mind that it's been taking me about 15-20 minutes to upload a feature movie (695MB) over usb1.1. i hope that answers your question...

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
wow, a 30gb transfer over USB 1.1 will take AGGGGEEEEEEESSS!!! when i first transfered about 20gb to my ipod photo via USB 2.0 it took a fair while - i think i was able to go for a shower and it was still finishing up when i got back! firewire is so much quicker and i'm sad to see it got rid of - anyway back to the topic. i would leave the initial sync over night! but i dont think changing playlists will take so long as they will only be a small file.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Yea, the big transfer would take forever. 15gigs would take, oh just over 20hours or so. But like I said, I'm not always putting new content on my ipod.

Thanks for the replies! They have been most helpful.

Would anyone else care to share their general experiences with the 5g and usb1.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.