Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Personally I am conflicted. I would say yes to that but I just wanted other peoples thoughts.

Elit3

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Personally I am conflicted. I would say yes to that but I just wanted other peoples thoughts.

I would say.... Hell no. Firstly, the screen doesn't ha E to only be good it has to have at least over 400 ppi which against htc one is still crappy.
Secondly, apple would be being hypocrites if they did. In order to make it a 4.7 inch it would have to be wider. And they mocked wider phone on ip5 release. But we all know how apple is. "There is no market for smaller tablets". And then makes the ipad Mini because nexus etc did well.
Thirdly. It will be around 4 years minimum before they get it, unless they bring out a phablet with the two other iphs this year, which again having two for Apple is hypocritical let along 3. Android phones slowly bumped up their sizes over 3 years from 4" around there to 4"7 and now 5. Apple is smarter than to upgrade something like that.
The iPhone 5s has leaked pics and it is a 4". So the longer they wait the more you will get invested into android and competition race off. So apple Re stuck in a rut with this, and their strategy of a half release every year (4 to 4s to 5 to 5s). Their strategy works at earning money, but will lose them money, many people switch because of the slow leak of features, and most skip s series.

So it would be around iOS8 or 9 that this happens. Not 7 and by then key lime pie will be out, and that is supposed to be a very big update.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
I would say.... Hell no. Firstly, the screen doesn't ha E to only be good it has to have at least over 400 ppi which against htc one is still crappy.
Secondly, apple would be being hypocrites if they did. In order to make it a 4.7 inch it would have to be wider. And they mocked wider phone on ip5 release. But we all know how apple is. "There is no market for smaller tablets". And then makes the ipad Mini because nexus etc did well.
Thirdly. It will be around 4 years minimum before they get it, unless they bring out a phablet with the two other iphs this year, which again having two for Apple is hypocritical let along 3. Android phones slowly bumped up their sizes over 3 years from 4" around there to 4"7 and now 5. Apple is smarter than to upgrade something like that.
The iPhone 5s has leaked pics and it is a 4". So the longer they wait the more you will get invested into android and competition race off. So apple Re stuck in a rut with this, and their strategy of a half release every year (4 to 4s to 5 to 5s). Their strategy works at earning money, but will lose them money, many people switch because of the slow leak of features, and most skip s series.

So it would be around iOS8 or 9 that this happens. Not 7 and by then key lime pie will be out, and that is supposed to be a very big update.

I said if now yes it would be a 1080P display.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I would be tempted but there are a number of things that would keep me from going back. I am not technically gifted and don't root/flash etc but enjoy the customisation on Android. I like different keyboards, different wallpapers on different home screens, the fact that I dont need to have apps that I dont want or use hidden away, widgets, especially my calendar, which has a screen all of its own and updates constantly. My phone is set up the way I enjoy it, in a couple of months I will change it around and make it into a different phone, again, something I enjoy doing. :)

Longhorns90

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
What made people leave that I missed?

Why would I have left? The S4 and LG G Pro are the 1st devices to even make a compelling case, and until Apple gets their chance to release their same period device either 7/29 or 9/6 or somewhere in between anyone that would leave isn't really an Apple loyal customer by definition. If they left for anything, but those 2, again not a loyal Apple customer so pretty wide open term there.

I hope they don't stick with 4 inches, and we know the only winners are the Application writers alone, but it seems by going 16/9 they already made it difficult without needing to since if they hadn't changed shapes, then it seems as long as the ratios held constant, Apple should of been able to change sizes anywhere to infinity without scaling being an issue,but they chose to change dimensions, and then said applications was why not bigger. Something weird I that statement when they did that.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Why would I have left? The S4 and LG G Pro are the 1st devices to even make a compelling case, and until Apple gets their chance to release their same period device either 7/29 or 9/6 or somewhere in between anyone that would leave isn't really an Apple loyal customer by definition. If they left for anything, but those 2, again not a loyal Apple customer so pretty wide open term there.

I disagree, I left for an S3 and then a Nexus 4, both of which I enjoyed more than my iPhone 5 and previous iPhones, and both , IMHO made "compelling cases", I now have a S4. :)

I am not loyal to any company. They are not loyal to me.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013

I hope they don't stick with 4 inches, and we know the only winners are the Application writers alone, but it seems by going 16/9 they already made it difficult without needing to since if they hadn't changed shapes, then it seems as long as the ratios held constant, Apple should of been able to change sizes anywhere to infinity without scaling being an issue,but they chose to change dimensions, and then said applications was why not bigger. Something weird I that statement when they did that.

Well I left for the Nexus 4 and love it.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
A 4.7 (or better yet, 5) inch screen would likely bring me back, yes.

I love my Mac, and I have found my Apple stuff in general is great for the home and for school stuff, but I've been using Android as my phone for a while now. And the initial reason I was driven away from the iPhone was screen size. I love what I can do with Android, and I love that I have a lot of hardware options, but if Apple put out a phone with a roughly 5 inch screen it would be hard for me to not at least give it a shot. iOS soars on bigger screens, I always felt the iPad was really where iOS belongs.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
when they allow access to real file system and separates files from apps, i will give ios another try.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Size and shape of the device are secondary considerations to the actual functioning of the OS. iOS is sub par in usability because Apple intentionally hamstrings it. Even if you want to personalize or customize your phones UI, Apple goes out of its way to stop you. Why do you think people buy all those obnoxious cases for the iPhone? It is the only personalization you are allowed, albeit this is hardware personalization. Point is, if I line up 9 iiphones, all with the same wallpaper, you wouldn't know your phone from the rest.

Until iOS becomes more like OSX, I will never buy another iDevice. I refuse to be held hostage by Big Broth... I mean, Apple. :D

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
Here's where I am on iOS vs Android:

Right now, I own an HTC One. I love it. It's beautiful, powerful and works in a way I find really natural. So any new device has to blow me away. New features that are actually useful (Just saying 'new API's' counts for nothing).

Apple has to win me over. Not 'nab some features from other handsets, throw in a gimmick and assume that I'll buy because you're keeping up with Jones'. The smartphone market is competitive now, and if users are to be won, then they need to be offered something truly better. I have seen nothing from iOS7 that I would want on a handset of any size that I can't have on my HTC One.

Ecosystem (Read: Airplay, spent too much money on apps, too lazy to export from iTunes, or trying to defend an irrational argument) counts for nothing with me, Apple have to give me something better if they want my money.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I dont use widgets at all really. A bigger (4.3-4.7) iPhone would indeed tempt me back simply because I have so much already invested in the eco-system.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Something tells me Apple will go for 4.3/4.5 instead of 4.7 or more, so to me it won't be enough.

4.7 and super long battery life would be interesting, but Android is so so good.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Not interested.

Not enough useful features in iOS 7 to keep me there.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
no that aint enough for me, there are still many basic features which android and windows offer but iOS doesnt offer 'em.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
nope. i am addicted to android, iOS users can only imagine about the features android users enjoy. even if iOS brings those those features i wont come back because, the launchers and ROMs are really awesome. i wish iOS could be rooted and we could install ROMs.

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Here's where I am on iOS vs Android:

Right now, I own an HTC One. I love it. It's beautiful, powerful and works in a way I find really natural. So any new device has to blow me away. New features that are actually useful (Just saying 'new API's' counts for nothing).

Apple has to win me over. Not 'nab some features from other handsets, throw in a gimmick and assume that I'll buy because you're keeping up with Jones'. The smartphone market is competitive now, and if users are to be won, then they need to be offered something truly better. I have seen nothing from iOS7 that I would want on a handset of any size that I can't have on my HTC One.

Ecosystem (Read: Airplay, spent too much money on apps, too lazy to export from iTunes, or trying to defend an irrational argument) counts for nothing with me, Apple have to give me something better if they want my money.

Actually the eco system argument does makes sense.
In New Zealand guess what I get from Google play? Apps games and music. That's it. With iOS I get TV shows, movies, books, apps,games, magazines, pas book etc.

Google isn't international at all and that's why I will never EVER use an Android tablet.

----------

nope. i am addicted to android, iOS users can only imagine about the features android users enjoy. even if iOS brings those those features i wont come back because, the launchers and ROMs are really awesome. i wish iOS could be rooted and we could install ROMs.

Jailbreaking=rooting.

They are the same thing. However you will not be able to install custom ROM's because no one has bothered to unlock the bootloader for iOS.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Jailbreaking=rooting.

They are the same thing. However you will not be able to install custom ROM's because no one has bothered to unlock the bootloader for iOS.

Except for the fact that for jailbreaking you need to wait 6 months for it to be released, and then disappears when Apple releases a new update.

Sometimes you don't even know if a jailbreak is possible or will be released.

Sometimes the jailbreak is not available for every point update.

No. It's not the same. Not by a long shot.

Rooting is available on 99% of android phones, while some Apple devices (generally those with newer chipsets) don't get the jailbreak until many many months after the old devices.

The android hack community is 1000 times bigger than on ios.

Yeah... they're the same...

Googlerola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Except for the fact that for jailbreaking you need to wait 6 months for it to be released, and then disappears when Apple releases a new update.

Sometimes you don't even know if a jailbreak is possible or will be released.

Sometimes the jailbreak is not available for every point update.

No. It's not the same. Not by a long shot.

Rooting is available on 99% of android phones, while some Apple devices (generally those with newer chipsets) don't get the jailbreak until many many months after the old devices.

The android hack community is 1000 times bigger than on ios.

Yeah... they're the same...
Yes at the technical level they are the same bloody thing. rooting and jailbreaking=root access to OS.

It's the same thing and I don't care which has a bigger community.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yes at the technical level they are the same bloody thing. rooting and jailbreaking=root access to OS.

It's the same thing and I don't care which has a bigger community.

Technically jailbreaking = root + hack library (cydia + substrates)

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Truthfully.. I love Google and OSX/Apple.

If IOS had more google apps + easy Jailbreak (only for tether on my unlimited plan) I would be back on an Iphone.

My S4 has a nice screen & I NEED tether & google apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.