Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:08 AM   #1
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Poor WiFi in Living Room

Hey Guys

I sadly returned my first Apple TV which i got for my parents as a gift, the reasons for my return was because I was getting bad WIFI in the area the Apple TV was situated. FYI The TV is adjacent to a Kitchen, I bought a Airport Extreme with the AC protocol and extended the network with a time capsule.

Even with the Airport extreme in the same room as the Apple TV the WI FI signal was weak. i tried resetting the Apple TV a number of times and even reseted the Airport extreme no luck. in other rooms the wi fi signal is great but this room has literally a black hole.

I know microwaves and cordless phones can interfere with the signal, i tried unhooking them still no luck, my macbook is located at the back of the house, with plastered wooden walls surrounding it.

Any ideas or suggestions on what might cause the interface its affecting all gadgets that enter the room.
__________________
Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro Retina | Time Capsule 2TB | Iphone 5 64GB Black | Apple TV 3 Bedroom | iMac 27" Late 2013: i7 3.5 GHz, 16GB Ram, 3TB Fusion, 780M, Pre Ordered |Ipad Air 128Gb Space Grey
mrmarts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:24 AM   #2
Biff...
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA.
Is there any nearby antennas ?
Biff... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 03:13 AM   #3
mrmarts
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff... View Post
Is there any nearby antennas ?
If you mean TV antennas there are no TV antennas, the next neighbour has one does this has an affect on my WI FI signal, there is also a cable set top box hooked to the same TV.
__________________
Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro Retina | Time Capsule 2TB | Iphone 5 64GB Black | Apple TV 3 Bedroom | iMac 27" Late 2013: i7 3.5 GHz, 16GB Ram, 3TB Fusion, 780M, Pre Ordered |Ipad Air 128Gb Space Grey

Last edited by mrmarts; Jul 7, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
mrmarts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 07:10 AM   #4
QWERTYMac7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
You might try a network cable - if you can't run one try something like a:

Actiontec PWR511K01 Wall Plug Network Adapter Kit - it runs your network through the wiring in your house.

Last set I bought at Amazon was $42.00.

Good Luck!
QWERTYMac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:36 AM   #5
marzer
macrumors 65816
 
marzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarts View Post
Hey Guys

I sadly returned my first Apple TV which i got for my parents as a gift, the reasons for my return was because I was getting bad WIFI in the area the Apple TV was situated. FYI The TV is adjacent to a Kitchen, I bought a Airport Extreme with the AC protocol and extended the network with a time capsule.

Even with the Airport extreme in the same room as the Apple TV the WI FI signal was weak. i tried resetting the Apple TV a number of times and even reseted the Airport extreme no luck. in other rooms the wi fi signal is great but this room has literally a black hole.

I know microwaves and cordless phones can interfere with the signal, i tried unhooking them still no luck, my macbook is located at the back of the house, with plastered wooden walls surrounding it.

Any ideas or suggestions on what might cause the interface its affecting all gadgets that enter the room.
So do you experience the same phenomena with your Macbook? If you operate it in the "black hole room" do you get good wifi connectivity or not?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarts View Post
If you mean TV antennas there are no TV antennas, the next neighbour has one does this has an affect on my WI FI signal, there is also a cable set top box hooked to the same TV.
No. TV antennas do not affect wifi networks, also very unlikely the cable box affects it.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68030
 
Zmanbaseball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTYMac7 View Post
You might try a network cable - if you can't run one try something like a:

Actiontec PWR511K01 Wall Plug Network Adapter Kit - it runs your network through the wiring in your house.

Last set I bought at Amazon was $42.00.

Good Luck!

TP-LINK TL-PA2010KIT AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps
http://amzn.com/B00AWRUIY4
I found this one to be smaller and cheaper.



Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2
__________________
-iPhone 5 16GB Black; iPod Touch 5 32GB Blue; iPad 1 Wifi 64GB; iPad Air 32GB Wifi White
-Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4036 LED TruBrite 14-Inch Laptop Black
Zmanbaseball2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC