Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
DaveTheRave
macrumors 6502

use same company for hosting AND domain registration?

I have a website hosted at Dream Host, and the domain is registered through Go Daddy. Both work fine, no major complaints. Later this year I'll need to renew both. Does it make sense to transfer the domain registration to Dream Host? And if so, what happens when visitors go to my site during the domain transfer process? Blank screen?
DaveTheRave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
fig
macrumors 6502a

It'll be down for probably about 24 hours if you were to transfer it, they'd most likely get either a generic GoDaddy or Dreamhost screen while it's in progress. Honestly there's not any real reason to do so though, you won't gain anything in particular from doing it that I can think of.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 03:30 AM   #3
shelle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
I have a website hosted at Dream Host, and the domain is registered through Go Daddy. Both work fine, no major complaints. Later this year I'll need to renew both. Does it make sense to transfer the domain registration to Dream Host? And if so, what happens when visitors go to my site during the domain transfer process? Blank screen?
Nooo, don't do that! As fig mentioned you will be offline for a while, maybe more then 24 hours (usually for propagation it can take 3-4 days), and in that time you can lose a lot of traffic and maybe a search engine position if you reach a good ranking(s)..

Anyway, there's no reason to change anything if it is working fine, if it's otherwise then you should change something... So my suggestion will be: renew both!

Regards
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:41 AM   #4
jeromewankel
macrumors newbie

According to me I use whatever company offers be the best value for whatever service I am looking for. If i get all at the same company, that's great. If not, that's fine, too.
jeromewankel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:43 PM   #5
notjustjay
macrumors 603

There may be a financial incentive to do so, e.g. I believe Dreamhost offers free domain registration/renewal if the hosting is also with them.

One possible advantage of having separate companies is if your hosting company disappears overnight, or freezes your account, you could quickly get up and running again somewhere else just by repointing your domain name. That happened to me once, my site was inexpicably shut down and I never got a reason why (or a refund), so I ditched the web host and went elsewhere.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:22 PM   #6
wjlafrance
macrumors 6502

You won't have any appreciable downtime if you do it right.

On your first host, do a backup of the database, restore the database on your new host, and then point your old host's web server at the new host's database. You'll likely need to apply incremental changes that occurred between the backup and the time you switched over.

From there, bring the new web host online and change the DNS. Your users will begin moving from the old host to the new one as DNS propagates, but it'll be transparent to them and they'll be using the same backing database. Once the old host no longer receives traffic, go ahead and shut it down.

Or, throw up a maintenance page on the old one for 15 minutes, migrate the data, change the DNS, bring the new host up, and then users will hit the new one when the DNS changes propagate to them. This is way easier if there's not money involved.

(Source: I work for a really big company that does a lot of internet stuff.)
wjlafrance is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development