Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reportedly Prepping for September Launch of New iPad, but iPad Mini Still in Flux

Digitimes reports that Apple has finalized plans for its fifth-generation iPad, targeting a September launch for the redesigned device that is rumored to be taking design cues from the iPad mini with narrower side bezels and a thinner body.
Quote:
Since upstream suppliers have mostly finished preparing for the production of the new 9.7-inch iPad, there is unlikely to be any changes in terms of specifications for the device. [...]

Although suppliers have not yet received a firm mass production schedule from Apple and are mainly shipping products for pilot production, the sources pointed out that pilot production is already able to satisfy demand for the initial launch. Therefore, the sources expect Apple to give its shipment estimates at the end of July or early August.
The report indicates, however, that plans for the next-generation iPad mini remain unsettled, with Apple still working to incorporate a Retina display into the device. If the company does elect to bring a Retina display to its next iPad mini, the device could see a launch very late this year. The report also indicates that Apple has been pushing to reduce the width of the iPad mini's side bezels even further.

Mockup of fifth-generation iPad next to iPad mini
Today's claims are very similar to ones made in an early June report from Digitimes indicating updated iPad and iPad mini models may not appear simultaneously, with the iPad mini trailing the iPad by several months.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also indicated that issues related to a Retina display were likely to result in a later-than-expected launch for the next iPad mini. Kuo's modeling back in April had estimated that the device could be updated some time in the September-November timeframe, while he believed that the full-size iPad would see shipments ramping in August or September.

Analysts at NPD DisplaySearch have also been expressing uncertainty about Apple's plans for its second-generation iPad mini, with their most recent report last month indicating that they expect Apple to launch a thinner non-Retina iPad mini late this year, with a Retina update coming relatively soon after in early 2014.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Prepping for September Launch of New iPad, but iPad Mini Still in Flux
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 68040

This event should be a blast. 
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:15 AM   #3
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

First rMBP
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:15 AM   #4
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

I want that smaller bezel. I need that smaller bezel!
TV 3
locoboi187 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:21 AM   #5
nfl46
macrumors 68040

I stopped reading after Digitimes reports...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:22 AM   #6
seecoolguy
macrumors regular

after trying out the HTC One, I keep wondering why Apple never incorporated a front facing speaker? makes video watching that much more fun as you don't have to turn up the volume so high, and no need to cup your hand over the edge of the device. wonder when this will come to the iDevice?
seecoolguy is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:22 AM   #7
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoboi187 View Post
I want that smaller bezel. I need that smaller bezel!
Only after you've seen it.
szw-mapple fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:23 AM   #8
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by seecoolguy View Post
after trying out the HTC One, I keep wondering why Apple never incorporated a front facing speaker? makes video watching that much more fun as you don't have to turn up the volume so high, and no need to cup your hand over the edge of the device. wonder when this will come to the iDevice?
It most likely won't ever happen.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Arran
macrumors 65816

Yeah, the retina mini has to come well after the ipad 5 to avoid cannibalization. I'd say 90 days at a minimum. Otherwise the ipad 5 early adopters will just return them for a mini.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

iPhone???

What about the iPhone? Oct?
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:27 AM   #11
lewisd25
macrumors regular

I'm concerned about the idea of an even smaller bezel on the mini. It's hard enough as it is to comfortably hold the mini in portrait orientation.
lewisd25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
MattJessop
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to MattJessop
In similar news, Google are rumoured to be prepping upgrades to their search algorithms and Microsoft are reportedly working on Windows 9. John McCain has welcomed the news.
MattJessop is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:28 AM   #13
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

128GB for a decent price, would be nice!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:30 AM   #14
YourHerojb
macrumors regular

So, are we thinking of a "shipping today" release at a September Keynote?
YourHerojb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:33 AM   #15
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
What about the iPhone? Oct?
i'm guessing special event in september for iphone launch (the 5S and low cost iphone) and of course the new iOS 7

and another event in october for ipad 5 launch, new rmbp, maybe new iwork.

I know it says september launch for ipad, but apple could switch it up to highlight the iphone launch first.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:34 AM   #16
iKrivetko
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seecoolguy View Post
I thought about that even before the HTC One came along. This is such a bloody obvious thing to do, especially on the iPad :\
iKrivetko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:35 AM   #17
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

A thinner bezel for the iPad Mini would be nice to make the one-hand around the back portrait hold less ackward. At the same time, the bezel getting any smaller will mean the thumb is intruding more into the display area when doing a one-hand portrait side grip. And it's tough to reconcile these rumours of an even smaller and thinner iPad Mini design with the addition of a more power hungry Retina display. Even if the Retina display is not coming in this refresh, continuing to shrink the iPad Mini now will only emphasis any subsequent size increase to accommodate a Retina display.
commander.data is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:42 AM   #19
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
Looking forward to the next iPad. I guess I finally replace my 1st gen.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:46 AM   #20
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
I stopped reading after Digitimes reports...
Yep. Because the truth is rarely as they claim

I think the iPad Mini is not in flux as much as Apple isn't planning to release it at the same time for logistical reasons. I think both the iPad and Mini will be announced together but could be launched as much as two weeks apart simply to control traffic. Or perhaps they won't be split up if the iPhones and iPods are launched before or after enough that they won't be high traffic issues anymore.
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:47 AM   #21
DotCom2
macrumors 65816

I saw "Digitimes" and I moved along.
DotCom2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:49 AM   #22
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Yeah, the retina mini has to come well after the ipad 5 to avoid cannibalization. I'd say 90 days at a minimum. Otherwise the ipad 5 early adopters will just return them for a mini.
Why? You think the mini size is better? I mean besides the cost, which is a clear advantage - why would I want a mini?

Cheers
LaForge
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:50 AM   #23
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Not me. I prefer the full size iPad and if Apple can make it thinner and lighter all the better.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:53 AM   #24
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Unlikely to be any changes in the specs? How is that possible?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrLaForge View Post
Why? You think the mini size is better? I mean besides the cost, which is a clear advantage - why would I want a mini?

Cheers
LaForge
It's more portable. I'd rather carry the mini along everywhere as opposed to the ipad.
appleisking is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:54 AM   #25
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrLaForge View Post

Cheers
LaForge
It's all personal preference, but yes, for me anyway, the Mini size is much better. It's far more convenient for reading, for carrying, for, well, lots of things. I can stick my mini in my back pocket of my jeans. Heck, I can fit my Mini (amazingly) in the FRONT pocket of my jeans, as long as I don't sit down with it in there. I just much prefer the size. Apparently a lot of people feel the same way, as the mini has been outselling the full size iPad since it was released. Now, some of that is surely due to the lower price point, but that certainly isn't the case with all of the demand.
Jman13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion