Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:57 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone Tops T-Mobile USA's Smartphone Sales as Carrier Expansion Drives Growth for Apple

Research firm Kantar Worldpanel has released a new report (via The Next Web) highlighting U.S. smartphone sales over the March-May period, finding that Apple's share of the market rose by 3.5 percentage points compared to the prior-year period. The report attributes that growth to the iPhone becoming available on T-Mobile USA, the last of the four major U.S. carriers to begin offering the device.
Quote:
Consequently, with Android remaining unchanged (+0.1%) to date this year, the gap between the two leading operating systems has decreased, according to data released today by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.

Through the 3 month period ending May 2013, Android continues to lead smartphone sales at 52%. Close behind is iOS with 41.9% of sales. Windows remains in third with 4.6% of sales, up 0.9% versus the same period last year.
According to the report, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone at T-Mobile during the quarter, despite not having launched until the middle of the survey period. The iPhone's 31% share of T-Mobile smartphone sales was still well short of the device's 60% share of sales at AT&T and even its 44% share at Verizon, but with the device only having been available for half of the quarter, a more realistic measure of the iPhone's popularity among T-Mobile customers will come in future quarters.

Article Link: iPhone Tops T-Mobile USA's Smartphone Sales as Carrier Expansion Drives Growth for Apple
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Konrad9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Research firm Kantar Worldpanel has released a new report (via The Next Web) highlighting U.S. smartphone sales over the March-May period, finding that Apple's share of the market rose by 3.5 percentage points compared to the prior-year period. The report attributes that growth to the iPhone becoming available on T-Mobile USA, the last of the four major U.S. carriers to begin offering the device.According to the report, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone at T-Mobile during the quarter, despite not having launched until the middle of the survey period. The iPhone's 31% share of T-Mobile smartphone sales was still well short of the device's 60% share of sales at AT&T and even its 44% share at Verizon, but with the device only having been available for half of the quarter, a more realistic measure of the iPhone's popularity among T-Mobile customers will come in future quarters.

Article Link: iPhone Tops T-Mobile USA's Smartphone Sales as Carrier Expansion Drives Growth for Apple
Doesn't the chart say that android phones outsold iOS phones?

I'm guessing the iPhone5 sold the most of any device and Apple is very likely the best selling single manufacturer, though.
Konrad9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
scrmtrey
macrumors regular

Only iOS, android and windows will remain in the world for battle.
scrmtrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:02 AM   #4
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

2 T-Mobile iphone buys here.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:03 AM   #5
blackcrayon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad9 View Post

I'm guessing the iPhone5 sold the most of any device and Apple is very likely the best selling single manufacturer, though.
The chart is showing the US market, while the headline refers to T-Mobile only.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Delta-NC
macrumors member

Ouch for Blackberry, and I though my sales were bad!

Quote:

Exactly that, there are only three iPhones on sale, where as Android is on every electric toothbrush these days.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:

EDIT: Sorry, I see what you're getting at. It's obvious though that Android sales were slowing significantly at T-mobile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrmtrey View Post
Only iOS, android and windows will remain in the world for battle.
Windows phone has been out long before the iPhone was even thought of and to this day it's still struggling the same as it's always been. Sorry but the only cell phone battle that Microsoft will be involved in is their own against themselves.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Alisstar
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Android phones as a whole outsold iOS phones. But if you take individual overall smartphone sales, that was lead by the iPhone 5.
Alisstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:13 AM   #9
DCstewieG
macrumors member

I was finally able to get an iPhone because T-Mobile is the only provider I don't feel dirty giving money to. Fortunately I'm in an LTE market!
DCstewieG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:16 AM   #10
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
.....According to the report, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone at T-Mobile during the quarter, despite not having launched until the middle of the survey period. The iPhone's 31% share of T-Mobile smartphone sales was still well short of the device's 60% share of sales at AT&T and even its 44% share at Verizon, but with the device only having been available for half of the quarter, a more realistic measure of the iPhone's popularity among T-Mobile customers will come in future quarters.

T-Mobile might do better, if they would stop confusing potential customers with already several changes to their pricing structure, since April.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Sky Blue

lol at Blackberry
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:16 AM   #12
NOV
macrumors 6502

BB wiped out.

Music website
NOV is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:24 AM   #13
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Windows managed to grow a little but soon there will be no more berry to eat.
unlinked is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Very nice. The Assimilation Grows once again.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:30 AM   #15
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:

Samsung is very likely the best selling single manufacturer.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:31 AM   #16
alent1234
macrumors 603

after two weeks with my Galaxy S3 that i got from work, not surprised people are dumping android for iphone
alent1234 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:41 AM   #17
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Kantar Worldpanel, lel.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:51 AM   #18
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Possibly by volume, but I expect Apple is winning the gross profit game by a massive margin.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:57 AM   #19
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Windows phone has been out long before the iPhone was even thought of and to this day it's still struggling the same as it's always been. Sorry but the only cell phone battle that Microsoft will be involved in is their own against themselves.
Windows vs Blackberry for the ultra hipster market?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
With that narrow of a gap between iOS and Android on T-Mobile USA, I doubt it. Motorola, HTC, etc would have to be selling very few.

----------

I didn't care about Blackberry until the CEO and others made a huge deal about how they were going to rebrand and take over the smartphone market with amazing innovation that would blow away every other company, and all the news stations made it seem like an amazing comeback in the making. Now I just want them to lose. Look at their stock and sales
donutbagel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:58 AM   #20
theOtherGeoff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
lol at Blackberry
Really... The Title should have been"
"Android/iOS unchanged within margin of error. BlackBerry ceases to exist as a phone manufacturer"
theOtherGeoff is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:04 PM   #21
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Please read the article.

Quote:
According to the report, the iPhone 5 was the best-selling smartphone at T-Mobile during the quarter, despite not having launched until the middle of the survey period. The iPhone's 31% share of T-Mobile smartphone sales was still well short of the device's 60% share of sales at AT&T and even its 44% share at Verizon, but with the device only having been available for half of the quarter, a more realistic measure of the iPhone's popularity among T-Mobile customers will come in future quarters.
chrisbru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:05 PM   #22
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Blackberry.... from 4.6% to 0.7% ..... yikes! Nail in the coffin.

But hey.... maybe Microsoft or Samsung will buy them out just for fun.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:22 PM   #23
FakeWozniak
macrumors 6502

Blackberry appears to have died in the same period.
I would say this is a bigger contributor than T-Mobile.
If you want an iPhone, you know where to go already.

Windows had a stellar growth period (30%?).

Seems like Blackberrys losses went to Apple and Microsoft, to me.
FakeWozniak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:25 PM   #24
foodog
macrumors 6502a

... and Blackberry continues its slide into extinction.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #25
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Possibly by volume, but I expect Apple is winning the gross profit game by a massive margin.
And revenue, which is really what makes "size" comparable.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion