Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Kicks Off New Printer Promotion with Instant Discounts on HP Printers

Apple for many years offered Mac customers the ability to save $100 on eligible printer purchases, but the company discontinued that program in early 2012 as the devices have become less popular with the proliferation of digital access to documents through smartphones, tablets, and other means.

But as noted by 9to5Mac, Apple is once again promoting printers with new in-store displays and an instant discount program offering up to $50 on HP printers. While the in-store promotion is apparently set to roll out tomorrow, the company has already quietly begun offering the printer discounts, with models such as the Photosmart 7520 ($149.95) already having been reduced by $50 and the Photosmart 6520 ($119.95) having been reduced by $30.

Some printers appear to have been reduced even more, with the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus ($229.95) dropping by $70.

Even some Epson models have seen small price drops, with the Expression Premium XP-600 ($129.95) seeing a $20 discount and the WorkForce WF-2540 ($119.95) seeing a $10 discount.

According to promotional materials, the special discounts on the HP printers are valid through September 6, with the program coinciding with Apple's Back to School promotion in a number of countries. That program offers education customers iTunes Store/App Store gift cards worth $100 with the purchase of a new Mac or $50 with the purchase of a new iPhone or iPad.

Article Link: Apple Kicks Off New Printer Promotion with Instant Discounts on HP Printers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
needfx
macrumors 68030

Can we save on the unicorn blood ink cartridges instead? Please?
needfx is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:26 PM   #3
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
Printers are so cheap anyways but a little bit off the price is still good
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
anthony11
macrumors 6502

Having battled two HP printers from OSX in the past, I have to wonder what the heck Apple is thinking in pushing them now? Historically their software for and interoperability with OSX has been pitiful, not to mention their practice of bundling multiple ink colors into a single cartridge, so that one has to replace them all when the first runs out. Maybe they've changed this practice, but I don't forgive easily.
anthony11 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:27 PM   #5
dingoeater
macrumors newbie

Expect an announcement from apple shortly after September 6th. In the past, they usually saved product announcements for shortly after the back to school promotion ended.
dingoeater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:30 PM   #6
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

I must say I'm a little surprised by this announcement. Apple and HP are companies going in different directions and ones that have drastically different customer satisfaction ratings.

But people do like printing, especially photos from their phones. At least Apple will get a piece of that.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:30 PM   #7
alent1234
macrumors 603

WTF do you people still use printers for?
alent1234 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:31 PM   #8
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
I assume these are 3D printers they're offering... No?
DisMyMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:34 PM   #9
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Meh I'll just stick with my $40 wireless HP Printer from Walmart and be happy.

My (old) school uses HP printers for iPads and Macs....around 400 iPads total and there are never issues.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:41 PM   #10
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Apple should make their own printers complete with ink
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:41 PM   #11
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
I must say I'm a little surprised by this announcement. Apple and HP are companies going in different directions and ones that have drastically different customer satisfaction ratings.

But people do like printing, especially photos from their phones. At least Apple will get a piece of that.
Apple uses HP products for their servers.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:41 PM   #12
WissMAN
macrumors regular

How about a discount on a real printer? Like a color laser duplex that takes the full size ink cartridges?

Like the 2600 or 3600 series?

The disposable printers are just not worth it with ink costs.
WissMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:44 PM   #13
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Work. Photos. School forms. Insurance forms. Tax forms. Homework. Notes for public speaking.
Copying or scanning any of the above.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post
Having battled two HP printers from OSX in the past, I have to wonder what the heck Apple is thinking in pushing them now? Historically their software for and interoperability with OSX has been pitiful, not to mention their practice of bundling multiple ink colors into a single cartridge, so that one has to replace them all when the first runs out. Maybe they've changed this practice, but I don't forgive easily.
Very disappointed too, with HP's quality and phone support the last few years. Not planning on getting another HP printer for the foreseeable future. Really like EPSON's photo printers, but I wish APPLE would include some of BROTHER's AIO laser multifunction workstations in their printer promotions.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:46 PM   #15
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Work. Photos. School forms. Insurance forms. Tax forms. Homework. Notes for public speaking.
Copying or scanning any of the above.
its $.19 to print photos almost everywhere and the quality is way better than doing it at home.

why would you print tax forms when you can file online?
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:50 PM   #16
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Do you have kids? One quick answer: school schedule on fridge... I'd rather have one and seldom use it than not having one then really need it.

More power to you if you never use it, but please, ****...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:52 PM   #17
CristobalHuet
macrumors 65816

Remember the good old days when you'd get a free printer with a Mac?
CristobalHuet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:54 PM   #18
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
Apple should make their own printers complete with ink
I used to think so, but printers are going the way of the floppy card, so I no longer think so.

I still use printers sometimes, but it's getting rarer with each passing year. The last printer I bought ran out of ink just over a year ago and I haven't bothered buying more (I've been using a printer at the library that costs $0.10 / page... so far I've spent about $4 on it... if an ink cartridge lasted about a decade, at this rate it might be worth it... but they don't and I expect that I'll be printing fewer pages each year.)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:56 PM   #19
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
its $.19 to print photos almost everywhere and the quality is way better than doing it at home.

why would you print tax forms when you can file online?
Did you add in the price of gas to your $.19? And no, the quality is very similar with appropriate paper.

And, the outlandish prices for filing taxes online annoys me. Businesses file many things online for free, in fact they are often required to by the govts. Then they and the software companies gouge $20 out of individuals to file. No thanks. But besides that, I want a paper copy for my records. Still more convenient, although it is in the process of changing.

If you don't like it, don't copy me.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:56 PM   #20
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Have a printer at home that I can't remember the last time I've used.

At work however, I was SHOCKED at how much paper my employer uses. It is shocking. SHOCKING. Full color laser everything, thousands and thousands and thousands of pages per day of things that could easily be viewed as PDF, but the executives all 'prefer paper'.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:00 PM   #21
blueroom
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyForApple View Post
Printers are so cheap anyways but a little bit off the price is still good
That's because ink isn't cheap.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:01 PM   #22
donutbagel
Banned

Ugh, can't Apple partner with Canon already? I thought that all printers sucked because I was using HP, then I used some Canon ones. Never buying HP printers again.
donutbagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:01 PM   #23
needfx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
Have a printer at home that I can't remember the last time I've used.

At work however, I was SHOCKED at how much paper my employer uses. It is shocking. SHOCKING. Full color laser everything, thousands and thousands and thousands of pages per day of things that could easily be viewed as PDF, but the executives all 'prefer paper'.
I am one step before total paperless operations. Only my accounting dpt still needs printed stuff and that's because greek IRS still exists in the 19th century
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:01 PM   #24
MegamanX
Banned

Well if they would give away a good printer it would be a good thing. Instead they give away pretty much garbage printers than burn money in ink.
MegamanX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:04 PM   #25
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutbagel View Post
Ugh, can't Apple partner with Canon already? I thought that all printers sucked because I was using HP, then I used some Canon ones. Never buying HP printers again.
Ditto. I cannot stand HP's networking software. They are ok when hooked up via USB, or when real server software is used in a company. But the intermediate level I tried to use at home was crap. Now have 2 Canons at my house, the connectivity difference truly is night and day.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion