Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hey team,

I got a close friend of mine who got his identity stolen not long ago, and all seen to indicate that it was because the thief actually got access to his phone while he was using a public charger. (we of course have no proof of this, nothing more than some investigation we did ourselves and the fact that some "old" data that was only on the phone was being used for credit Applications).

Anyways, after a little research I found a few Articles like these:

Researchers Say They Can Hack Your iPhone With A Malicious Charger

NBCNEWS: Watch out! Charging stations could be stealing your data

Due to this and the fact that we both actually travel a lot, and use those Hotel and Airport pubic charging stations more often than not, I started looking to see if there was anything out there to protect our device and I was unable to find one.

So I went ahead and designed one myself, it is small USB adapter (Male to Female Adapter) that Allow the devices to charge (still exercice the Data lines, so the host doesn't go into low power mode), but keep the actually data lines isolated to avoid any hacking.

My question to you (the community) is, would it be any interest in a product like that? friend are telling i should get a kickstarter project going to get some funding to mass produce such a device. I would like to get some feedback from some of you and see what your opinion on the matter is.

Thanks, any feedback is always welcome.

UPDATE: So after a lot of positive feedback, I went ahead and did it, I will launching the Kickstarter Campaign on August 21st. Contact me for any question, suggestions or comments.

Official press release here: http://bit.ly/14Heb2B

Website is also up an running: LockedUSB Adapter

Kickstarter Rewards preview (Draft): http://lockedusb.com/kickstarter-rewards/

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That is a great idea my friend.
People that plug in to charge at public places like coffee shops, libraries hotels and many other places that could have their device and personal info compromised could sure benefit from something like that.
In this day and age you should be careful and responsible with your data. Identity theft is a fast growing problem and the more we do to protect ourselves the better.
Any idea what price range something like that could run the average iphone or idevice user?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That is a great idea my friend.
People that plug in to charge at public places like coffee shops, libraries hotels and many other places that could have their device and personal info compromised could sure benefit from something like that.
In this day and age you should be careful and responsible with your data. Identity theft is a fast growing problem and the more we do to protect ourselves the better.
Any idea what price range something like that could run the average iphone or idevice user?

Thanks buddy, I think is a good idea too, just curious to see if anyone else think the same.

Price wise, the device should be around , $8, 9$ish...for small quantities. If there is a lot of interest and I could build several thousands, then the price should drop to $6ish... The most expensive part would be the overmolding design and initial NRE. after that initial kick in the nuts, each unit should be very affordable.

Should also work for any USB powered device, not just iDevices, if you are like me that also got a few Androids and Windows devices around, it works with anything that plugs to a USB port.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I'm gonna give you some constructive criticism.

It wouldn't sell very well, the issue isn't mainstream enough that people are worried about it. Most use their own cords so it isn't an issue to them, and those who do buy third party cords from lesser known companies are in the minority, Sorry but I wouldn't buy one, simply because I don't have the need for one.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012

It wouldn't sell very well, the issue isn't mainstream enough that people are worried about it. Most use their own cords so it isn't an issue to them, and those who do buy third party cords from lesser known companies are in the minority, Sorry but I wouldn't buy one, simply because I don't have the need for one.

I dont need one either, but I do think the idea is worth a study to find out just how many DO need one. Its something "I" havent seen yet, and people DO worry about security...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

This isn't about the cords, it's about the USB port. The port could host a malicious device to pull data off of a iDevice via a person's own USB cord.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

The idea is not to make this my living and retired early, i know this may no be a mainstream product, but if there are out there a few thousand or even a few hundres people that would like to get one, it may worth exploring the crowd funding options.

Also, using your own cords or a third party, does not solve the issue, the USB port is the issue as Intell said, no matter what cable you are using, the Adapter actually allow to use any cable you want. I actually use the one I build to get a quick charge from my work laptop and that way, itunes doesn't ask me if i want to sync the picture on that iphone every time I plug it.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada

But he/she can make it a mainstream issue through advertising/how they sell their product. Make people aware of the issue. Infomercials have been selling us useless stuff this way for years.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Ah ok, my next gripe is where are these charging stations? From what I gather, the average iOS user charges with their laptop or from a wall outlet in a public place.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Ah ok, my next gripe is where are these charging stations? From what I gather, the average iOS user charges with their laptop or from a wall outlet in a public place.

I've seen them at hotels, airports, large outdoor events, the Starbucks near my work has them in the tables, some of the computers labs at a local community college has them in the walls.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

Airports.

In Japan as common as crabgrass, even street side.

The problem here is they have 30 pin or lightning ends, no USB plug (that I saw)

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

They are very common on Airports and Hotel,

AT&T is deploying solar Panel one in NYC and have plans to deply them nation wide

AT&T and Goal Zero deploy solar-powered Street Charge stations in NYC, we go hands-on (video)

ta-7800_powercharging_chargeport_charcoal.jpg

Delta got a few at the airport

delta_port-6115156.jpg

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
$9 or so is pretty cheap insurance against identity theft. I'd be interested even as an infrequent traveler. And with enough publicity, I'd think you could make a successful Kickstarter project out of it.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I agree. $8 or $9 is pretty good deal for added piece of security. Identiy theft is such a major issue and growing every minute. Sooner or later something on this level will gain more awareness so why wait until its too late? Definitely worth pursuing and one I'd be glad to support.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
I think this is a good idea. As tymaster stated, it is true that most people use wall chargers right now. However, USB ports in airports, hotels, coffee shops, etc. are becoming more and more common. Soon they will be everywhere. And I think identity theft through USB will become a mainstream issue in the near future as well as the number of USB charging stations grows.

Identity theft is a real concern of many people. If you get started now with this product you can be ahead of the curve when these issues become even more mainstream. Also, as stated, good marketing of this product can help that process along.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think this is a good idea. As tymaster stated, it is true that most people use wall chargers right now. However, USB ports in airports, hotels, coffee shops, etc. are becoming more and more common. Soon they will be everywhere. And I think identity theft through USB will become a mainstream issue in the near future as well as the number of USB charging stations grows.

Identity theft is a real concern of many people. If you get started now with this product you can be ahead of the curve when these issues become even more mainstream. Also, as stated, good marketing of this product can help that process along.

Well said.
All a potential identity thief would need is to setup a charging station in a public place and he will have tons of people plugging in their devices to get a quick charge. Than rack up tons of data collected from random people.
This kinda of protection will be great to have around. Keep one with you when you're out and you're good.
And for the price mentioned above its a no brainer.

Then

maturola

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
excited to see a positive feedback, I definitely look into putting something together and give crowd funding a shot. :)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

you need to get out more :p

-------
TS I think this is a very good idea, just the price for the average consumer might not be the best, maybe consider offering them in 2 packs for $9.99. That should net you some money and increase production will reduce materials cost I would assume.

BW I'm open to be a beta testers ha! :)

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It can even be called a "charger firewall" or some stuff like that. I'd definitely buy a version made out of clear plastic so it is obvious that the data lines are not going through.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Pair lock on a jailbroken iPhone does the same.

Pairlock is a nice tweak but this device would work for those who are not jailbroken. Which is the vast majority of iDevices our there.

----------

Hey OP be sure to keep us updated when/if you do get a kickstarter project going.

Samanosuke

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2013
Pairlock is a nice tweak but this device would work for those who are not jailbroken. Which is the vast majority of iDevices our there.

As another poster said its not an issue to most users, otherwise people would be concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.