Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

expansation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
About to make my first ever Mac purchase and have chosen a maxed out MBA, so I'm keen to finally understand what all the fuss is about with these Apple computers :). I've resisted for far too long.

However, I'm not a big fan of banks for a number of reasons that will take this thread way off topic. I would though like to purchase my MBA from an Apple store with cash and I have phoned and found that there will be no problem if I do this. The problem though is that none of the stores I have phoned keep anything but the basic models in stock and because I live in the UK there is no ship to store option for a BTO purchase.

This means that effectively there is no solution for anyone wishing to purchase in cash and machine that is not a stock version. Has anyone surmounted this problem or can think of a way round it?

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Has anyone surmounted this problem or can think of a way round it?

Maybe your bank has a one time use credit card number they could generate for you so you could do the BTO. Of course this is not really a cash transaction as you want, but its not the same as using a general credit card either.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
About to make my first ever Mac purchase and have chosen a maxed out MBA, so I'm keen to finally understand what all the fuss is about with these Apple computers :). I've resisted for far too long.

However, I'm not a big fan of banks for a number of reasons that will take this thread way off topic. I would though like to purchase my MBA from an Apple store with cash and I have phoned and found that there will be no problem if I do this. The problem though is that none of the stores I have phoned keep anything but the basic models in stock and because I live in the UK there is no ship to store option for a BTO purchase.

This means that effectively there is no solution for anyone wishing to purchase in cash and machine that is not a stock version. Has anyone surmounted this problem or can think of a way round it?

You said that you're purchasing the maxed out model, if that means the i7/8/512 configuration then that means your store will probably be carrying it. I know the Apple store closest to me carries the two i5 base model configs, and the maxed out i7/8/512 for both screen sizes.

Good luck, you made the right choice.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Go to any Apple store, or grocery store that carries Apple gift cards. Purchase Apple gift card with enough to cover the cost + tax of your MBA.

Order online at Apple.com using the gift card and have it shipped to your home or nearest Apple store.

You can use up to 8 gift cards when checking out.

manini

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
Go to any Apple store, or grocery store that carries Apple gift cards. Purchase Apple gift card with enough to cover the cost + tax of your MBA.

Order online at Apple.com using the gift card and have it shipped to your home or nearest Apple store.

You can use up to 8 gift cards when checking out.

This.

Also, is it possible to have the apple store itself order you a BTO? what's the difference for them to place the order in store versus doing a BTO online and instore pickup? That might be a good option if they allow it.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Apple gift cards are the way to go.

Just make 100% sure that you by Apple gift cards... NOT iTunes gift cards. They are NOT interchangeable.

Also... one more thing. I am not sure that Apple Retail Stores (at least those in the US) even accept cash. I've never tried it (I gave up using cash years ago)... but I thought I read it somewhere.

/Jim

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I'm sure most Apple stores would let you BTO at their desk and pay upfront. Just make sure you get a receipt that says they owe you a computer.

All of these ideas miss the point of avoiding banks. It's like Revelation 13 come true.

anonnymouse

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I am not sure that Apple Retail Stores (at least those in the US) even accept cash. I've never tried it (I gave up using cash years ago)... but I thought I read it somewhere.

Sorry, incorrect. US Apple Stores most certainly do accept cash. The only circumstance where cash would have issues is anything over $10,000 (because of Form 8300 - look it up). But that clearly will not be the issue in the OPs case.

You simply may not have seen the cash drawers, because they are stealthily built into the main Mac/iOS tables on the sales floor (and opened during EasyPay cash transactions).

----------

It sure would be nice if they were.

Well, to give a more complete answer, you can buy Apple Store Gift Cards (the ones for merchandise) and buy iTunes Store/App Store Gift Cards with those, but you can't buy merchandise or Apple Store Gift Cards with iTunes/App Store Gift Cards.

expansation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Thank you all for your replies.

The Apple giftcards seem like a great avenue for me to explore. I'm not sure of the maximum value I am allowed to purchase as I will need around 1500GBP in order to cover my purchase (inc educational discount), but if I am allowed to use 8 at any one time then I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Damn I would feel unsafe with that much cash not sitting in an account.

I have to say that I very much hold an opposing view to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.