Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third beta of iOS 7, which brings a number of improvements and bug fixes to the operating system. According to the release notes, double notifications have been resolved and AirPlay issues have also been fixed.

Several other minor enhancements have been bundled into the release, as noted by our forum members:

Redesigned Fonts - Fonts across a number of apps appear to have been tweaked to be thicker, using Helvetica Neue Regular instead of Ultra Light. This is most noticeable in the Messages app, where text appears to be bolded, but it can also be seen in the Weather app, the Notification Center, and the Settings menu. Panic co-founder @cabel has provided a GIF that demonstrates the differences.

notificationcenter.jpg
Safari - Safari has had the .com button removed and replaced with a simple period button. The .com, .net, and .org domain extensions can be accessed by holding down on the button.

Status Bar - The Status Bar, which provides information on cellular connection strength, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and battery life has had its size slightly increased for better readability on the lock screen.

thickerfonts.jpg
Lock Screen - When playing music, the lock screen will now display the time.

lockscreentime.jpg
Music App - The Music app has seen a slight redesign with new icons and rearranged controls. Ratings have also been re-added.

Podcasts - Apple's Podcasts app is now functional.

Calendar - In the monthly view, the Calendar app has been updated to display small gray dots on days where events are scheduled.

calendar.png
Siri - A number of MacRumors forum members have noted that Siri's voice now sounds more natural.

New App Download Animation - When installing an app, iOS 7 users will see a new animation that does away with download bars in favor of a more organic circular download timer.

newdownloadanimation.jpg
Control Center - The clock located in the Control Center has seen yet another redesign, this time appearing in the original dark format that was removed during beta 2 in favor of a thinly outlined version.

controlcenterclock.jpg
Additional features in iOS 7 beta 3 will be added here as they are discovered. Apple is likely to continue pushing regular updates for iOS 7, bringing minor performance boosts and changes ahead of the operating system's public release, which is expected to come in the fall.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta 3 Tidbits: New App Download Animation, Thicker Fonts, Safari Improvements

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Anyone know how to play ALL songs by a particular artist, noy just those in a single album? In iOS 6, there's an "All Albums" choice, but in iOS, I can only listen to one album at a time.

SoApple

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Thank g-d for the time while listening to music , most annoying feature ever.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
have folks generally noticed better app stability? I've found many apps just crash repeatedly with ios7. I'm guessing we won't see much app stability improvements until devs release updates compatible with the new ios

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I have to admit, the layout of IOS 7 does grow on you. Yes, it is a huge departure from IOS 6, but given time, it does look simpler and sleeker.

Keeping this up, it will look nice come GM and full release.

BL.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Anyone know how to play ALL songs by a particular artist, noy just those in a single album? In iOS 6, there's an "All Albums" choice, but in iOS, I can only listen to one album at a time.

That'll be album or artist view. Going to composer lets you do that. Or just make a playlist and add the albums. 'Up next...' and a continuous artist play would be nice but this'll do til then.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
have folks generally noticed better app stability? I've found many apps just crash repeatedly with ios7. I'm guessing we won't see much app stability improvements until devs release updates compatible with the new ios

Well, with the iOS 6 beta cycle, app stability increased as each beta was released. Still, some apps just wouldn't work right until they were updated.

So in summary... it's both on Apple and the third party developers. Either way, it's most definitely a work in progress. And the progress is working wonders from beta to beta so far!

gspannu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
UK
A new way to represent new tweets...

IMG_0199.PNG

Have not noticed this on another icon except Twitter yet.

I guess this is in addition to numbered tags, but not sure yet.

mjr1477

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
Spotlight

I am hoping they change Spotlight back to the usual swipe right to activate.

Having to "top" swipe down for the Notification Center, and "middle" swipe down for Spotlight is getting highly annoying, because I never get what I'm swiping for.

Perhaps I use it more than most, mainly to launch apps that are in folders on pages 2 and beyond.

Why change it?

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Anyone seeing black notification center, Siri and search keyboard on iPhone 5 - it's annoying me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.