Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So I have a 2011 MBA getting ready to be resold (or probably gifted). It came with Lion (10.7). I have since upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8.x). When I hold down the option key to do the restore, will it restore Mountain Lion or Lion?

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
So I have a 2011 MBA getting ready to be resold (or probably gifted). It came with Lion (10.7). I have since upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8.x). When I hold down the option key to do the restore, will it restore Mountain Lion or Lion?

If it is anything like my 2012 Macbook Air, it will restore it to the newest OS you have installed (Mountain Lion)

If you still want to be sure, restart your Air into Recovery Mode (using Command-R), open the terminal (Menu > Utilities > Terminal), and use the following command to output the system version:

sw_vers -productVersion

xproc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Malaysia

it will restore to Lion,

Mountain Lion is tied to your Apple ID.

The system is not perfect, the new owner has to pay for new OSX.

(I am this situation a few weeks back, with a 2012 MacBook Air!)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I tried it and it installed Mountain Lion.

It did ask me for my Apple ID. But it did a clean install. My new MBA already came with Mountain Lion, so the copy I bought is going along with my old MBA for my brother. I didn't have a choice, it restored Mountain Lion without me asking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.