Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Olloclip to Release New Telephoto iPhone Lens Later this Month

At the consumer electronics showcase in June, olloclip unveiled a new telephoto lens accessory designed to complement its existing three-in-one iPhone lens solution.

The telephoto lens, which comes equipped with a circular polarizing filter, is constructed of glass and doubles the magnification of the iPhone lens. Like the company's other lenses, the telephoto lens snaps onto the iPhone 5 or the iPhone 4/4S. The accompanying polarizing filter can also be used with olloclip's existing lenses but cannot be purchased separately.

DP Review has posted a photo with the lens, showing the magnification in action:

Normal shot on left, telephoto version on right
The upcoming telephoto lens will be released in July and will retail for approximately $100. olloclip's existing lenses (including fisheye, wide-angle, and macro) can be purchased for $69.99.

Article Link: Olloclip to Release New Telephoto iPhone Lens Later this Month
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....The upcoming telephoto lens will be released in July and will retail for approximately $100. olloclip's existing lenses (including fisheye, wide-angle, and macro) can be purchased for $69.99.

Article Link: Olloclip to Release New Telephoto iPhone Lens Later this Month
That seems like a bit steep, but I'm sure they'll sell a few.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Whew, the folks at olloclip can sleep easily tonight.

But seriously, that zoom doesn't seem very significant at all.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
2Turbo
macrumors 6502

Do these mess up the quality of the picture, and are they worth it?
2Turbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 07:37 PM   #5
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Turbo View Post
Do these mess up the quality of the picture, and are they worth it?
I haven't used the telephoto, but with the three-in-one kit the lenses don't cause any problems with picture quality. In fact, the macro lens churns out really impressive photos and the fisheye does too, but that has intended distortion.

I'm guessing that the telephoto lens will capture some impressive images since it also comes with the polarizing filter to cut down on glare/reflections and capture better sky pictures. Is it worth $99? I guess that would depend on your interest in iPhone photography.
jclo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 07:59 PM   #6
rtdunham
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
...The telephoto lens, which comes equipped with a circular polarizing filter, is constructed of glass and doubles the magnification of the iPhone lens.
At MWSF in February I urged the fellas at the booth to add a CP to their accessory kit. I got a sort of wink and a nod, which i guess this article explains. A couple thoughts:

1) I think the CP could account for at most $30 of the value of this kit, considering the $69 cost of the existing macro/wide/fisheye package.

2) If that's reasonable, then the $70 I'd allocate for the 2x tele seems steep, as others have opined.

3) It's very good they provide an adapter ring, as I understand it, so the CP will work with the existing lenses. Its value on the macro seems minimal, but hey...

4) It's a shame Ollo (and the Schneider Optics tele just announced) are limited to 2x. I'd think a 3x would have much more value and usefulness. There are probably optical limitations that prevent that.

5) I wish Olloclip would devise a better "kit" to hold the kit. The velvet bag suffices, is I think the best that can be said of it; it doesn't even include quick-release clamp on the bag ties, something that could probably be added for a dime in production costs but prevent the occasions when a lens cap or the whole device slips out of the bag and into my pocket. Schneider's handle-in-a-case shows a better solution can be devised. (I like the handle concept, but probably wouldn't use it because i don't want to be limited to a specific case--or any case at all).

Having said all that, the Olloclip is the ONLY iPhone attachment i keep with me at all times. It's almost unnoticeable in my pocket. I use the wide angle most often, macro second most, but the fisheye on occasion too. "Your use may vary". At any rate, I'm damn glad I have it, and will probably--reluctantly--add the new lens and CP to my gear. Maybe they'll have a new packaging arrangement to conveniently hold all the lenses.

EDIT:
1) When's this going to be available? Has anyone seen details: for example, what's the bulk of the tele/CP package compared to the wide/macro/fisheye set? It sounds like at a minimum it'll double the volume of the hardware. I could find no info on Ollo's website regarding this hardware.

2) Despite my objections to cases generally, Ollo's case does make some sense, as it adds functionality. I'd like to see a nice package price for the new tele/CP with the case. And (to beat the horse) maybe a better way of packaging for those of us who will choose to carry both kits. The mounting bracket should be packaged (in both senses of the word--pricing, and compactness) with a small tripod, as i think 90% of people using the bracket will use it in conjunction with a mount)

Last edited by rtdunham; Jul 8, 2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added final thought
rtdunham is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 09:24 PM   #7
SoAnyway
macrumors regular

Interesting but I'll stick to my DSLR for this stuff.
SoAnyway is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:37 PM   #8
sparkso
macrumors member

too many people trying to make money from iPhone
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:51 AM   #9
FirePhantom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkso View Post
Which is a good thing. It means the iPhone created an industry employing millions of people from app developers (who actually make good money from their apps, unlike on other platforms) to accessory makers (who can make accessories that work with one or two device designs which dominate the market, as opposed to dozens of different devices spread thin over the market à la Samsung).
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:32 AM   #10
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkso View Post
This used to be true for iPods. Oh the good old days.
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 04:19 AM   #11
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Good quality optics... assuming these are... never come cheap.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 04:40 AM   #12
Pigumon
Banned

Dumb

If you're going to carry something extra, just make it an actual camera that can take GOOD pictures (especially indoors, low light, at night).

iPhones are OK cameras, mostly because you always have it with you, but to remember to take this lens along... just go for the real camera. I almost always carry a small snapshot camera with me, using my iPhone camera for quick facebook updates, and the snapshot for pictures I can keep. Comparing the two is a world of difference.
Pigumon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 04:57 AM   #13
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Just in time for the Chicago Sun-Times reporter/photographers

But seriously, I'll bet they will be packing these.
ValSalva is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 07:09 AM   #14
wisty
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Good quality optics... assuming these are... never come cheap.
It's a little tiny sensor. It's a little tiny lens. So it's a lot cheaper than a DSLR lens of equivalent quality (though you won't get as good pictures in poor lighting, even if it's top quality, because of the little tiny sensor).
wisty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 08:42 AM   #15
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post
At MWSF in February I urged the fellas at the booth to add a CP to their accessory kit. I got a sort of wink and a nod, which i guess this article explains. A couple thoughts:

1) I think the CP could account for at most $30 of the value of this kit, considering the $69 cost of the existing macro/wide/fisheye package.

2) If that's reasonable, then the $70 I'd allocate for the 2x tele seems steep, as others have opined.

3) It's very good they provide an adapter ring, as I understand it, so the CP will work with the existing lenses. Its value on the macro seems minimal, but hey...

4) It's a shame Ollo (and the Schneider Optics tele just announced) are limited to 2x. I'd think a 3x would have much more value and usefulness. There are probably optical limitations that prevent that.

5) I wish Olloclip would devise a better "kit" to hold the kit. The velvet bag suffices, is I think the best that can be said of it; it doesn't even include quick-release clamp on the bag ties, something that could probably be added for a dime in production costs but prevent the occasions when a lens cap or the whole device slips out of the bag and into my pocket. Schneider's handle-in-a-case shows a better solution can be devised. (I like the handle concept, but probably wouldn't use it because i don't want to be limited to a specific case--or any case at all).

Having said all that, the Olloclip is the ONLY iPhone attachment i keep with me at all times. It's almost unnoticeable in my pocket. I use the wide angle most often, macro second most, but the fisheye on occasion too. "Your use may vary". At any rate, I'm damn glad I have it, and will probably--reluctantly--add the new lens and CP to my gear. Maybe they'll have a new packaging arrangement to conveniently hold all the lenses.

EDIT:
1) When's this going to be available? Has anyone seen details: for example, what's the bulk of the tele/CP package compared to the wide/macro/fisheye set? It sounds like at a minimum it'll double the volume of the hardware. I could find no info on Ollo's website regarding this hardware.

2) Despite my objections to cases generally, Ollo's case does make some sense, as it adds functionality. I'd like to see a nice package price for the new tele/CP with the case. And (to beat the horse) maybe a better way of packaging for those of us who will choose to carry both kits. The mounting bracket should be packaged (in both senses of the word--pricing, and compactness) with a small tripod, as i think 90% of people using the bracket will use it in conjunction with a mount)
All great points. I would agree that having a little more magnification would be nice - I would be interested to see someone do a zoom lens that ran in the 1.5-4x range, even if it was a big bigger and if it had some fixed stopping points rather than a true variable zoom, and they just mounted it to a case system. The 35mm equivalent focal length of the iPhone 5 is 33mm (the 4S is 35mm, so it's reasonable to assume that iPhones of the next several years will be similar.

A 1.5x zoom on 33-35mm gets you right into 50mm, which is one of the most common/useful focal lengths. Add a 2x and a 4x in there and you have ~70mm and ~140mm, which are both pretty useful lenses, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAnyway View Post
Interesting but I'll stick to my DSLR for this stuff.
I'm not a pro, or even a serious amateur, though I do have a cheap/entry level dSLR, and a decent understanding of how to use it. First, this isn't aiming to replace an SLR camera. It IS meant to either complement one, or to replace cheap compact zooms. Second, despite having an SLR, and a small, light one at that (Nikon D40 with equally compact and light 35mm prime lens being my most used glass), I still don't carry it everywhere. I do take my iPhone with me though, and it would be nice to have some more options to take photos with it...
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:43 AM   #16
blue22
macrumors 6502

limited and overpriced...

Why would I buy this 2x Telephoto lens from Olloclip for $100 when PhotoJoJo.com offers virtually the same thing for only $20?!

As much as I do like using the original Olloclip I'll pass on this particular product from them. Now, if they decide to introduce a worthwhile 3x telephoto down the road, maybe I'd reconsider.
blue22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:47 PM   #17
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigumon View Post
If you're going to carry something extra, just make it an actual camera that can take GOOD pictures (especially indoors, low light, at night).

iPhones are OK cameras, mostly because you always have it with you, but to remember to take this lens along... just go for the real camera. I almost always carry a small snapshot camera with me, using my iPhone camera for quick facebook updates, and the snapshot for pictures I can keep. Comparing the two is a world of difference.
LOL LOL LOL.
I have a Nikon DSLR but I never take it with me anymore on Vacation because it is too heavy and bulky and that is just with the starter lens and base. Now imagine carrying a Macro lens, wide angle and fish eye on top of your base and regular zoom lens.

Can you fit a camera and several lenses in your jeans pockets? No, but you can fit an iPhone 5, the 3 in one lens addon and this new telephoto lens in your pocket.

Sure, I could take my camera but that is one more thing that I have to take with me and one more thing that I have to worry about losing or breaking.

How much do you think several lenses will cost for a DSLR? Now compare that with these lenses.

Last edited by aristotle; Jul 9, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
aristotle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Thumbs up Why stop at 2x zoom?

Quote:
Here's a less expensive iPhone camera accessory that boosts resolution to 12 MP with 4x optical zoom. You'll save over 30 bucks.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:50 AM   #19
BigZ243
macrumors member

Found a review of them here: olloclip Telephoto lens review
BigZ243 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion