Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stallie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

I have a netcomm 4b6+4w connected in bridge mode to an airport extreme. There is one adsl output in the kitchen to which these are connected.

Now I have a mac mini server in the family room that is used as a media server using plex hooked up to the tv. It works well.

I have installed ML server on that mac mini with the hope that I can run it as a server for various purposes.I'm not a high user of the home server - it's unlikely that I would be streaming videos etc from it - but I would like access to files etc when on the road.

Now in all the setup instructions I am following (including the Todd Oldhoff ones) they are all set up using the ethernet connection. Clearly I have a desire for a wifi connection to the server. Is this possible or advised?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hi,

I have a netcomm 4b6+4w connected in bridge mode to an airport extreme. There is one adsl output in the kitchen to which these are connected.

Now I have a mac mini server in the family room that is used as a media server using plex hooked up to the tv. It works well.

I have installed ML server on that mac mini with the hope that I can run it as a server for various purposes.I'm not a high user of the home server - it's unlikely that I would be streaming videos etc from it - but I would like access to files etc when on the road.

Now in all the setup instructions I am following (including the Todd Oldhoff ones) they are all set up using the ethernet connection. Clearly I have a desire for a wifi connection to the server. Is this possible or advised?

It really depends on the wifi strength. Wifi is certainly fine for media streaming. It can be slow for large file transfers. You could always add an airport express to boost wifi if it is weak.

The wifi will run a lot faster than any online connection ordinarily so it shouldn't bottle neck anything you are trying to do on the road.

stallie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks mate. I had continued agro trying to set it up, so have decided to buy an ethernet cable and run in from the airport extreme down under the house and up into the living room.

Cheers

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I ran into the same issue. I also know I can't (never could get it to work with wireless). What I did, well, two different things...

#1. I had an Airport Extreme as my router (other side of the room) and then a 2TB TimeCapsule on my desk. I used the TC to "extend" my AE's wireless. The MacPro was "hard wired" to the TC. Worked great, although slow via VPN.

#2. Had someone run me two ethernet cables from one side of the room to the other through the attic. :)

Glad to see you got it going. I too really wish I could've ran it with wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.